Moving from W204 to W205 C63. Should I get a remap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Engadine

Car
2022 C63S Brabus 600 cabrio; 2013 C63 Estate (RIP)
Hi all, earlier this year I ordered a new C63S coupe, which with all the delays is finally due for delivery next month. Very exciting.
I will be trading in my much loved 2014 W204 C63 Estate. A fantastic car, but it was just time to get a new car, and they won't be making this kind of car for long.
I don't actually need a 500 hp car, as like most of us I live in a built up area and blasts in open spaces are fun, but occasional, and it's rare I can drive full throttle even in my existing car, let alone one with another 50 hp and even more extra torque. But I love the sound, the instant acceleration, the feeling of power, and all the other reasons we love our AMGs.
In the same illogical vein, I am pondering a Brabus (with warranty) power upgrade to 600. This is similar to many other remaps to 600 but you get a warranty and it's done via MB, for peace of mind.
So my question is, for those who have had a C63S remap done to around 600, by any reputable provider: is the extra power a really positive gain or is it too much of a good thing? Is it like an extra dollop of cream where none is needed? Or more like a weeks high intensity gym training where you can appreciate the difference?
I won't track my car, I will drive it fast where conditions allow, but these are already very fast cars. It's a daily, and I also don't want to be squirming around junction entrances for six months a year in the damp.
Thoughts from those who have had remap done Would be much appreciated.

Mine is 595. Tbh it’s a little too much for the chassis at times, but that’s how I like it ;)
My first one was remapped when I got it, but I didn’t know, I just thought it was great. A pal then bought the S model, and when I drove that I thought it was broken. The one I have now was standard when I bought it. I lasted a week before Anthony sorted it out for me. I love it! Has the ability to leave me with trembling hands after a spirited drive. Not many cars give me that buzz.

No brainer to me; remap. Incredible value for money and you'll definitely notice a big difference. I have an E63 not C63 but it's the same principle.

Of course you don't NEED 5/600bhp, who does? But it's immense fun, and I agree with @Jobsworth.

No doubt others will be along to tell you it's pointless, a waste of money, and dangerous. But I couldn't disagree more. You certainly won't regret it and will grin every time you use that extra power. Even if it's infrequent, it will be well worth it 😁

Look forward to your post remap review 😉

I did it and was hugely impressed with the difference. As you say, 500 bhp isn't paltry, but I noticed the difference significantly. I bought a Genius Handheld from MSL, so that I can put the stock map back on when it goes to Mercedes for a service, and when I put the tuned map back on I still grin at how different the car feels. If you can get one done under warranty by Brabus then I'd say it's as much of a no-brainer as there is possible to be.

Worth checking with your insurer first though, I was quite surprised at how much my premium went up by. I had to change insurers to get cover and I'm the right side of 50 too ;)

p.s. Don't try to justify it - you cant, just do it!!

Thank you everyone and thank you for the tip about insurance, very important!

Three strongly in favour and none against, that's pretty good. It sounds like this engine naturally should have the extra power, as it does in other models, even compared to the S.

I have test driven a C63 S saloon and I have to say I was not totally blown away by the performance, it was a bit faster than mine but not mind numbing. So, I will go for it and report back. Thank you.

If you're getting the coupe, it'll handle the 600hp and torque better than the saloon or estate. I had the estate and it was an oversteering maniac because it has so much weight in the rear and tiny 265 wide tyres. A bit of extra power never hurts IMO and I'd have happily tuned mine if it didn't affect the warranty...

204 to 205 is a downgrade,, keep your 204.

I agree. I sold my 205 and went back to a 204 as I found the 205 lacking in soul and it just didn't get the hairs standing up on my neck like the 204. Horses for courses
A man who understands the thrill of driving, something no modern turbo amg engine provides.

If you're getting the coupe, it'll handle the 600hp and torque better than the saloon or estate. I had the estate and it was an oversteering maniac because it has so much weight in the rear and tiny 265 wide tyres. A bit of extra power never hurts IMO and I'd have happily tuned mine if it didn't affect the warranty...

Interesting, does the coupe/cabrio have different rear set up to the saloon/estate?

I love my current car and would keep it alongside the new one if I could justify it. But it's nearly 8 years old, in frequent use (although still less than 40k miles) and it's time for a new car.

I haven’t mapped mine yet.

I do want to as it’s a nice upgrade and the engines can handle it. But I want to have the car over a year first so when I do get it mapped sort of breathes a fresh bit of life back in the car.

Interesting, does the coupe/cabrio have different rear set up to the saloon/estate?

I love my current car and would keep it alongside the new one if I could justify it. But it's nearly 8 years old, in frequent use (although still less than 40k miles) and it's time for a new car.
The coupe has a different suspension set up apparently and a wider track and wider rear tyres. It does actually weigh more than the saloon, some say it puts power down better than the saloon.

The coupe has a different suspension set up apparently and a wider track and wider rear tyres. It does actually weigh more than the saloon, some say it puts power down better than the saloon.

Thanks, I did not know that it had a wider rear track and tyres. That is good to know in the context of the potential remap. I am not so worried about it being tail happy (it has a slippery mode for when you don't want to be surprised) as the potential frustration of spinning rear tyres when trying to make swift junction entrances in the damp.

This is true! I have met up with local C63 AMGs

the saloons are slightly lighter and have a very tiny advantage on a roll but the coupes do feel more stable and give you more confidence

and because of their wider track they are better off the line than the saloons and estates

if you don’t need back doors the coupes do look a lot better and probably the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom