Moving on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normanr

Well guys I am moving on to a Lexus after all my problems with the Merc,not reliable for a prestige car,I didn't like the rust problems every time I got a stone chip it went like a spiders web (not good).
Anyway thanks for all your help with my Merc.

Norman

Good luck with your new car, stick about here and pop up pics of your new car on the defectors section.

Thanks Guys

I will keep in touch here is the car I have just bought GS 300 Sport.

Attachments

• c832_1 lexus.jpg
    c832_1 lexus.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 200
Goodluck, feedback on the Lexus would be appreciated, i've always wanted to know what they're like (the old one i drove was very nice)!

Last edited:
those are good cars, had a nice one in recently... very comfortable, lots of toys for the money and ultra reliable..

It's interesting to follow people's train of thought in car buying:

For normanr it looks to be an ever increasing budget :)
190 to IS200 to GS300

I think many of us have been there too.

so no 190?

I couldn't get a low mileage good one Jay so thought I would have a change considering the 190e are getting on I think you have to be prepared to wait a long time to get the right one.

Enjoy the Lexus. I lived in Japan for five years (until 2004) and had a similar 6 cylinder Lexus (called Toyota Aristo there) albeit with a twin-turbo which I gather has never been available here. I loved it; very fast, good handling but very refined. Brilliant traction control - impossible to spin it even when trying. Utterly reliable. Every year it went for its service and there were no extras and nothing ever went wrong. Loved it so much thought about bringing it back when I returned but the insurance quotes were ridiculous (foreign model not available here; performance engine, and I'd been out of the UK for five years so couldn't get more than a 35% discount even with an official translation of my Japanese NCD).

Bye - but don't forget to report back in while, be interested to see how it compares to your bad Merc experiences.

Are you going to park it in the the middle of the village, with the other Lexi ;)

Very nice colour and good luck with the new car.

I always hear about the reliability of Lexus and other marques, so I had a quick look on a Lexus forum

Sadly my experience with Lexus hasnt been great. I bought a new RX300 SEL with a wood pack for £38500 in January 2004. Since then I have had a new bonnet (rust), a new master brake cylinder and brake servo unit (major hydraulic failure), and a new wiring loom to the rear susension (suspension failure). Car off road for over 2 weeks. Eventually fed up with the car, you know how it is, I have started to notice the things that niggle about the car. Particulary the range of only 300 miles on a full tank and the harsh engine note on full acceleration. Trading in at age nearly 2 has been a nightmare - offered £22000 against a BMW and £22500 against a Merc - dealers tell me very poor market for big thirsty 4*4's and book price in say parkers guide unrealistic. My advice to prospective buyers - dont buy new unless you plan to keep car for ever (good luck with maitenance costs when out of warranty).

Apologies for highlighting the rust, it was not highlighted on the original posting but it does show that no vehicle will be perfect, but once we loose confidience in a marque it is time to move on.

Good luuck with the Lexus

Regards
John

You must have hunted hard for that report John because I spent a lot of time on google,ask and yahoo regards reliability and rust.

No car is perfect and I saw some moans I did not see any regards rust problems,fuel economy is not brilliant but I don't mind that because most of the Mercs,BMW,Audi can all use the petrol with the larger engines,take note of jj_uk comments and that is the feedback I have been getting.

On the whole really reliable 20000 miles service intervals not that I would leave a car that long.

You must have hunted hard for that report John because I spent a lot of time on google,ask and yahoo regards reliability and rust.

No car is perfect and I saw some moans I did not see any regards rust problems,fuel economy is not brilliant but I don't mind that because most of the Mercs,BMW,Audi can all use the petrol with the larger engines,take note of jj_uk comments and that is the feedback I have been getting.

On the whole really reliable 20000 miles service intervals not that I would leave a car that long.
Hi Norman,
Honestly I did it in less than twenty seconds. I merely logged onto Google and typed 'Lexus problems' and it threw that straight up.

Please do NOT think I am out to criticise your very nice car, that was NOT my intent. I am merely saying what I always say......... The grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.

We all change marques and I fully appreciate the reasons why you have changed. I am not out to score points. Many months ago I posted dozens of service bulletins issued by Lexus to correct electrical issues. I did this simply because folks were saying what a rock solid car they were. I have no issues with what folks say, but the reality is that Lexus do have issues. BUT...................... There PR knocks the spots off most other brands and there are huge lessons that can be learnt. Forget Lexus because that makes it feel I am having a go at your decision. Go to a Toyota workshop and see if the technicians are playing cards or working on vehicles? Cars break down and that is a fact of life, cars will always break down but it is how we get treated when this happens that tend to keep us owners of newish vehicles loyal to any particular brand.

Regards
John

Nice car Norman, hope you enjoy it. More pics please and make sure you tell us more once you've live with it for a while. A car of that calibre should be of interest to most of us.

One thing s for sure, you can find reports of doom about anything on the internet.

good choice on a lexus, there will never be a type of car that is problem
free.. everyone with half a brain knows that.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that you have picked up a brilliant and
reliable car that just won't rust :)

good luck,

enjoy the car

Brad

Thanks all for the comments as you all say there is no such thing as the trouble free car but sometimes if we are lucky we do get one that is we can only keep our fingers crossed .

Take care all

Norman

Thanks all for the comments as you all say there is no such thing as the trouble free car but sometimes if we are lucky we do get one that is we can only keep our fingers crossed .

Take care all

Norman
Bottom line must surely be that this forum has numerous non owning Mercedes folks :)
I for one am genuinely looking forward to some pictures, especially interior ones.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom