Moving To Larger Profile: SL350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sudesh

I have a 2003 SL350 with 19" AMG style rims. The tyres are curently 235-35-19 but I'm looking to move up to a larger profile as the 35's are just too low and uncomfortable for some of the roads I travel. Can anyone advise as to what profile I can move up too or tyre size to go with? I'm thinking 45's/50's would they fit ok?

Any advise appreciated.

I have a 2003 SL350 with 19" AMG style rims. The tyres are curently 235-35-19 but I'm looking to move up to a larger profile as the 35's are just too low and uncomfortable for some of the roads I travel. Can anyone advise as to what profile I can move up too or tyre size to go with? I'm thinking 45's/50's would they fit ok?
The "profile" is an expression of ratio of tyre width vs rim diameter. You could probably fit 225/40/19 on the same rim as it's a small change but if you want 45 or 50 then you're talking about fitting different wheels.

235/45/17 would be perfect for a 17x8" wheel on your car and will have all the sidewall cushioning and rim/kerb protection you need :)

Have you tried any other models to see if your car has a suspension or other problem rather than just sidewall/profile height?

EDIT:
Forgot to add that depending on model your wheel diameter choice will be limited by having big brakes. I think some models of R230 SL will accept 17" wheels though and the 350 isn't "big engined" in the grand scheme of things. Best to check though!

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. There is no issues with suspension etc, its just the profile is too low for some of the roads I have to travel.

My car originally had 17" wheels, tyre size was 225-45-17

I spoke to my local tyre guy and he was kind enough to help me out on a try and error basis. So we are going to try 45" first to see if they fit and dont catch anywhere, if they are no good we will move to 40".

My car originally had 17" wheels, tyre size was 225-45-17

I spoke to my local tyre guy and he was kind enough to help me out on a try and error basis. So we are going to try 45" first to see if they fit and dont catch anywhere, if they are no good we will move to 40".
I just checked on the Do these wheels/tyres fit? thread and it looks like you might have the wrong size tyres now fitted anyway!

According to the figures on that thread 235/40/19 is more appropriate for your car, 45 would be way too much though, nearly half an inch extra rolling-radius which could rub in places or adversely affect steering, handling, gearing and speedometer readings etc.

You could also have a word with your tyre guy and ask him to recommend some tyres with a softer sidewall - Toyo Proxes T1R are one example, as they may give you enough compliance to make the ride acceptable - just be careful on the potholes!

It's not as simple as softer sidewall, the width of the tread against wheel rim width has a bearing as well.
A tyre closely matching the rim width will give a harsher ride than one that is slightly wider, for example, and 'Euro look' tyres will give a quicker turn in, etc.

Yes, but so does the sidewall stiffness! - Nothing in isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom