Mozilla Firefox browsing gone all wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

When I go into Google on Mozilla Firefox and try to go to MBclub on my laptop I am getting re-directed to random sites (not naughty) predominantly ebay. The same is true for other searches. Any clues what I need to do?

MS Security Essentials says no issues found.

Folks

When I go into Google on Mozilla Firefox and try to go to MBclub on my laptop I am getting re-directed to random sites (not naughty) predominantly ebay. The same is true for other searches. Any clues what I need to do?

MS Security Essentials says no issues found.

Bruce

Try clearing your internet history/cache etc and then see if it still happens.

Guys

A message just popped.

"something is trying to trick Firefox into installing an unsafe update. Contact your network administrator"

Sounds like it could be malware. Scan with malwarebytes, at least.
Then check firefox addons, any toolbars or other recently installed apps.

Just going to chrome without fixing any underlying problem isn't the best plan.

Thank you.

I have now installed and am running a scan with Malawarebytes. It says it has blocked access to a malicious website (outgoing) I will await the full scan to finish. MS Security Essentials found no issues (Ooops)

I'm running Chrome for day to day browsing. Chrome is now what Firefox once was.

For the single on line game I play (WGT.com) I use RockMelt.

Well Malawarebytes found no issues. It still keeps telling me it is blocking outgoing connection to ip addresses. I can see nothing running in task manager.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Is it definitely google that your home page is going to?

I ask as I found my firefox had been hijacked by a company called contour who had designed their page to look exactly like google's, but redirected you to sites of their choice.

If you haven't got lots of favourites saved, why not just uninstall FF, including from the registry, and re install it from scratch.

Takes a few minutes.

MS Security Essentials found no issues (Ooops)

I'd never assume your machine is clean from that alone!

Roamer

How can I tell if it is hijacked?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

When you go to www.google.co.uk, it should remain on that page and bring up the Google front page - with it still saying exactly the same address in the address window.

You could try http:// 173.194.66.94 (without the space) which will take you to a Google server.

Apologies it's Conduit, NOT Contour. That's what I get for posting after looking at my countour camera.

Two easy ways to check are if you hit ctrl+t to open a new tab it goes straight to the conduit engine page, which they make to look like google.

Or check in firefox addons, both the plugins and extensions part and see if anything is called conduit. If it is, disable then delete.

With FF you need to go into about config and reset defaults-i had problem with conduit toolbar and that was only fix
Malawarebytes is useless- give PC a once over with free online ESET SCAN just in case there is anything still lurking
ESET Online Virus Scanner | ESET

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom