Mozilla new 'tabs' page

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Every time I open Firefox it automatically opens a new tab with tiles on it. Searching online it says I can stop this new tab opening by clicking the button on the top right of the screen to disable it, however the said button is not there. Any ideas chaps?

Try using "Tools" then "options" then "Tabs" and ensuring the box "Don't load tabs until selected" is ticked.

Under tools, options, general : "When firefox starts" - set it to be home page - it will be on show windows and tabs from last time

Under tools, options, general : "When firefox starts" - set it to be home page - it will be on show windows and tabs from last time

Just tried that and that didn't work either.:doh:

Every time I open Firefox it automatically opens a new tab with tiles on it. Searching online it says I can stop this new tab opening by clicking the button on the top right of the screen to disable it, however the said button is not there. Any ideas chaps?

You can turn that on or off, when you open a new tab you are probably seeing a number of previous visited pages.

When you open a new tab look for a very small icon with a 9 square GRID ICON … (The GRID ICON is shown in the video below)… on the top rights of the page that you are viewing, click this icon and the previous visited pages will no longer show, you will see just a blank page when you click a new tab.

Click again the little 9 square GRID ICON to undo.

Dec
[YOUTUBE HD]MQp02cQs000[/YOUTUBE HD]

Dec said:
You can turn that on or off, when you open a new tab you are probably seeing a number of previous visited pages. When you open a new tab look for a very small icon with a 9 square GRID ICON … (The GRID ICON is shown in the video below)… on the top rights of the page that you are viewing, click this icon and the previous visited pages will no longer show, you will see just a blank page when you click a new tab. Click again the little 9 square GRID ICON to undo. Dec <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQp02cQs000[/YOUTUBE HD]">YouTube Link</a>
Yup I read all that but in the new tab there is no 9 grid icon. That's the problem-it just isn't there. Just reinstalling to see if the icon appears

What version of Fiefox do you have?
Click the Help menu then click About Firefox

Dec

Just re-installed Firefox. It's version 30.0 and guess what? Same problem

Also the icons on this 'tiles' page that opens up is not showing me my recently visited websites. It's showing Windows 8 style tiles to sites like Facebook, Linkin,BBC, Ebay etc.
I have attached a screenprint

Last edited:
And then if I open another tab ready to click the 9 grid icon I get this...
Interestingly when I uploaded these two screen print from my desk top and clicked 'Manage Attachments' from the MB Club website it also opens the tiles tab too???? Most confused.com

Attachments

• sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 22
If you click the 3 horizontal lines icon top right of picture and click Customise.

You can drag the settings icons up… the icon is like a cogged gear… beside the 3 horizontal lines icon, this will give you access to the settings,.

Dec
44353d1405267352-mozilla-new-tabs-page-sc2.jpg

Another easy way is to click > Tools > Options then click General Tab.

Dec

Think this might be malware often changes your home page and repeatedly opens tabs to a lot of advertising sites. Run malwarebytes and see if that gets rid.

Think this might be malware often changes your home page and repeatedly opens tabs to a lot of advertising sites. Run malwarebytes and see if that gets rid.

^^this^^ or a plug-in/extension is doing that as it doesn't look like a standard firefox grid to me.

At last I have solved it. The tab with the 'tiles' is now gone. On the screen print I posted there was a few words on the bottom left of the page called 'My Search Dial'. A right click of that and it was uninstalled. So it was nothing to do with Firefox. Just Malware. Thanks for your help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom