MP3 disc in W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjbarnard

E320CDI, 2007.

Apologies in advance, as I have previously posted a problem which was due to a fundamental error on my part! I hope this isnt the case with this one.

I have burnt some MP3 CD's. They play fine both in the multi-CD changer and the DVD slot in the Command head unit.

However in the CD changer no track is accessible beyond 099. Either from the COMMAND controls or the steering wheel. However the unit is able to recognise them because all tracks (beyond 099) are accessible from the DVD player.

It is a CD. The tracks are labelled and there is nothing else on the disc - they are in the "top" folder.

Is this a known issue? Not a huge problem, because I can burn more discs, but was wondering if I had overlooked something simple.

This is a "known issue", but not a defect. CD changer's only set up to read 99 files... yeah it's a p!sser.

This is a "known issue", but not a defect. CD changer's only set up to read 99 files... yeah it's a p!sser.
DVD's will usually have a maximum of 255 files in a maximum of 255 folders :)

Regards
John

Workaround

SInce posting I have discovered a reasonably simple workaround.

Organise the MP3's into albums, not individual files. Using iTunes I just click on album view, then burn MP3 disc. The files on the CD are then organised into album folders, rather than just a long list of individual MP3 files. The car CD changer can then see all the albums and individual files -all 200 of them. Presumably using NERO you can do the same thing by burning album folders as well. Also presumably there is a limit of 99 folders - but given the small size of CD's this is unlikely to be a limiting factor.

When I first started playing with Mp3's I named all the folders.

The name of the folder is at the top of the screen and I believe this is song number 112 of 155 in that specific folder.

Mp3%20List.jpg

When I first started playing with Mp3's I named all the folders.

The name of the folder is at the top of the screen and I believe this is song number 112 of 155 in that specific folder.

Mp3%20List.jpg

But the disc in question is in the single slot above, and not in the six-disc changer, correct?

But the disc in question is in the single slot above, and not in the six-disc changer, correct?
:) Yup, that is the ONLY slot on a 211 that will play any type of DVD other than the navigational mapping software. ;)

Do NOT put the mapping DVD in this slot.

It should be noted that the folder contains less than the 255 files we are discussing and contrary to popular folk lore you can have gaps between the wording.

Eye of the Tiger

instead of.......

eye_of_the_tiger

I just thk it looks nicer to have the proper title on the screen.

Regards
John

John

Last edited:
I am puzzled by the photo of John's car.

Ever since I joined this forum, John has claimed to own a 2004 211 E Class. But this photo clearly indicates that John owns an earlier MB - probably from around 1982, when the seminal film Rocky III was made and Survivor's theme tune enjoyed a brief moment of popularity.

Unless, unless..... surely after all these years there cannot still be a Survivor fan out there:confused: :D

Philip

PS: It says "Foreigner", not "Survivor"??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom