MP3 DVD restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hunter

Does anybody know the file/folder limits when creating an MP3 DVD for use in the MB COMAND, specifically those fitted in the current E and S Class? The COMAND is unable to read all of the files regardless of how I arrange them on the discs I've created to date.

No idea of limits. It 'might' depend on software. I have conducted a number of experiments with varying results.

I have wrote a DVD containing 5 folders with a total of 1108 Mp3 files split between them. (the COMAND will only recognise a maximum of 255 files in a folder) This took up 3.98Gb of memory and to my knowledge it can both see and read every folder and file. (I obviously have not played every single file yet)

Solely as an experiment (I cannot see why any one would require it) I wrote 131 folders with a few files in each. The COMAND read folders 1 - 31 but not in chronological order) and folders 100 - 131 again not in chronological order. As far as the system was concerned no other folders existed.

I cannot comment on whether this is a software issue at my end, or a problem with COMAND. However 62 folders is more than ample for any use I might have.

I hope this post is of some use and please do not hesitate to contact me, if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,
John

hey guys, didn't realise they could play MP3s from DVD.

Do you know if any other car radios can do this? My current MP3 CD player is nice, but I could fit a lot more music on a DVD!

Russ

some of the high end alpines did last year but they only seem to have 1 that I can see. Probably down to the fact that they have launched the Ipod stuff

Perhaps one of you can help?

I have run the software upgrade on my DVD Comand system; it will happily play mp3 CD's, whether 'open' - ie 205 individual mp3 tracks, or filed, ie approximately 10 - 12 albums using the album title as a folder.

However, whichever way I burn a DVD+R disc, [TDK] whether open or file folders (I have tried limiting the numbers of files/folders) I always get a DVD Error message.

I have tried using Musicmatch Jukebox (which reads and plays the written DVD perfectly) and also RecordNow - (also read perfectly on the MMJ system).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Hi Guy,
The only success I have is by using Nero Express version 6 and then going into music disc.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to contact me if you have problems,

Bye for now,
John

Guy said:
Perhaps one of you can help?

However, whichever way I burn a DVD+R disc, [TDK] whether open or file folders (I have tried limiting the numbers of files/folders) I always get a DVD Error message.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Guy,

Might be missing the point here but you need to play the MP3s through the Audio setting on the Command, not via the Video option (even though they're on a DVD).

When you press the Audio button you'll see Radio, MP3, CDC (cd changer if fitted) and Aux.

Andy

Thanks to both Andy & Glojo -

Andy - Thanks, I am using the right Comand function :)

Glojo - Having already got 2 types of DVD music burning software, as well as Arcsoft Showbiz for DVD video, I can't be doing with buying another!

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem and had discovered a way of resolving it...

10 or so albums on a CD is fine anyway!

Thanks again :)

Guy said:
Thanks to both Andy & Glojo -

Andy - Thanks, I am using the right Comand function :)

Glojo - Having already got 2 types of DVD music burning software, as well as Arcsoft Showbiz for DVD video, I can't be doing with buying another!

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem and had discovered a way of resolving it...

10 or so albums on a CD is fine anyway!

Thanks again :)

Whatever software you're using, make sure it's using UDF not ISO! I'm not familiar with your software, but many use Nero because it's easy to choose these options.

Nero is available for download as a demo anyway. Get it and use 'Nero Burning ROM' not 'Nero express'. Simply choose UDF instead of ISO at the start and try that!

And finally, DVD-R is compatible with slightly more players than DVD+R, so this may well be your problem too.

good luck, hope you get it working.

Cheers for the tip on alpine players too

Russ

The other problem you might be having is that AFAIK DVDs use the same stupid filesystem as CDs, so you get limits to the number of files in a folder and you get limits to the length of filenames etc. If I'm wrong then someone please shout :)

pentoman said:
Nero is available for download as a demo anyway. Get it and use 'Nero Burning ROM' not 'Nero express'. Simply choose UDF instead of ISO at the start and try that!

Hi Russ
Could you please tell me what is wrong with Nero Express? This is not a criticism of your statement, I have very little knowledge of computer software, I merely ask so as I can learn.

At present I can fill a DVD with music files and they play perfectly, but I cannot write more than 100 folders. The files in total were 3.98Gb

I have tried Nero Burning ROM version 6 but this has not made any difference and I find 'Express' quicker and easier to use.

I would appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks very much,
John

You know what? I use express as well ;) . There was a time when I used to tick every "advanced" or "expert" button in software to make sure I get to see ALL the options. These days I hit the "next" button, the "express" button or the "wizard" I'm afraid, 99% of the time it chooses the same things I would have done anyway only it takes about half the time :)

Shude said:
The other problem you might be having is that AFAIK DVDs use the same stupid filesystem as CDs, so you get limits to the number of files in a folder and you get limits to the length of filenames etc. If I'm wrong then someone please shout :)

The COMAND will not read more than 255 files or allegedly folders. I tried writing all my files directly onto the DVD, but it only read 255 it displayed 1/255 (when it played the first file)

What I was pleased with though is that it displays what yout type.

i.e. Aerosmith Luving Avita

When the music starts playing it comes up with the full title and singer, but whilst playing it cuts it down a little. I cannot remember by how much though.

Please note that ALL my comments only refer to the 211 COMAND :)

I might have a picture somewhere

Regards,
John

I have found this picture which displays the name of a music file which is actually playing. Sadly it is very dark so you might need a torch to illuminate the words :)

Last edited:
Woops - Wheww

Hopefully I have now got the picture to a more reasonable size. I apologise for the quality of the picture but in fairness to 'the boss' the car is in the garage and the picture is controlled by a flash. Also the interior is quite a light colour.

If you strain your eyes hopefully you will see that this is folder number 02 and the song is 4 of 242. (4/242)

Hopefully though you can see that the title of the song is present and I might even find one for 'Plod' (when you have 1108 music files, I should be able to find something suitable)

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Update to Mp3

This also shows the folder structure and hopefully shows what a 'strange' taste in music 'the boss' has!!!

Regards,
John

This song is dedicated to our wonderful Police service, who always manage to smile when faced with adversity.

pentoman said:
Whatever software you're using, make sure it's using UDF not ISO! I'm not familiar with your software, but many use Nero because it's easy to choose these options.

And finally, DVD-R is compatible with slightly more players than DVD+R, so this may well be your problem too.

good luck, hope you get it working.

Cheers for the tip on alpine players too

Russ

Russ,

You are the Man!

Downloaded Nero Burning, selected 43 Albums, pressed Burn and it works.

My computer DVD drive will not work with DVD-R; I could find no way of selecting anything other than ISO on the download, but for some bizarre reason exactly the same selection written by Nero plays fine in the car, written by other software does not.. :confused:

Thanks again! :)

Guy said:
Russ,

You are the Man!

Downloaded Nero Burning, selected 43 Albums, pressed Burn and it works.

My computer DVD drive will not work with DVD-R; I could find no way of selecting anything other than ISO on the download, but for some bizarre reason exactly the same selection written by Nero plays fine in the car, written by other software does not.. :confused:

Thanks again! :)

Are you sure that Nero is not converting the tracks back to normal audio ?

glojo said:
Hi Russ
Could you please tell me what is wrong with Nero Express? This is not a criticism of your statement, I have very little knowledge of computer software, I merely ask so as I can learn.

I believe the only difference is that Nero Express uses a wizard to make things easier! However, I think if you use the Nero Express wizard, it will not ask which type of disk you want to make (ISO or UDF).

peterchurch said:
Are you sure that Nero is not converting the tracks back to normal audio ?

I don't think you can put normal (CD-like) audio on a DVD.. Also, I don't think you'd fit 43 albums on without it being compressed mp3 ;).

good luck

Russ

Last edited:
pentoman said:
I believe the only difference is that Nero Express uses a wizard to make things easier! However, I think if you use the Nero Express wizard, it will not ask which type of disk you want to make (ISO or UDF).

Thanks Russ,
There are wizard options, but Nero Express is really just a quicker\easier program that Nero Burning ROM. You are correct in saying that you cannot choose between ISO or UDF, Nero Express is by its name a quicker version of Nero, but I think my pictures prove that using Nero Express is not the reason why members cannot write their Mp3's to DVD.

I appreciate that yoy might not have the need to write a large number of folders, but using Nero Burniing ROM have you managed to exceed the number of folders that Express has managed?

Lastly is there any advantage in using the more complicated version of Nero? (I accept that it is always better to use a program that you are used to). I just do NOT want to recommend Nero Express to anyone if it is inferior to Nero Burning ROM :)

Thanks very much for your reply,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom