MP3 support in COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ady

Car
E 220d Estate
The MP3 support in the DVD COMAND is excellent. :rock:
I have now put 50 CDs on to one DVD and the COMAND plays it really well. I can see the track names on the screen & the dash display and navigating the folders is so easy, plus the sound quality is excellent. :bannana:

If I had know about this when I ordered the car I wouldn't have bothered with the CD changer :D .

Ady said:
I have now put 50 CDs on to one DVD and the COMAND plays it really well. I can see the track names on the screen & the dash display and navigating the folders is so easy, plus the sound quality is excellent. :bannana:

If I had know about this when I ordered the car I wouldn't have bothered with the CD changer :D .

Is it possible to retrofit a DVD COMAND? Is it too new to exist on Ebay yet.....sounds very slick....

What version are you running

Ady said:

This sounds excellent, I have the DVD Command, can you tell me which software upgrade you have in your vehicle. (My W211 is one your old this month) I am running with Comand APS DVD system with the Harman Becker Nav DVD. I am currently running on Version 2003 / 2.0. I dont think this supports MP3, I enquired about upgrading to Version 3.0 but did not get any sense out of anyone. I couldnt even find someone to supply the disk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Goldfish11 said:
This sounds excellent, I have the DVD Command, can you tell me which software upgrade you have in your vehicle. (My W211 is one your old this month) I am running with Comand APS DVD system with the Harman Becker Nav DVD. I am currently running on Version 2003 / 2.0. I dont think this supports MP3, I enquired about upgrading to Version 3.0 but did not get any sense out of anyone. I couldnt even find someone to supply the disk. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not sure which version it is, as I have not sussed out how to find that information yet (so many things to learn). I picked the car up from the factory last week so it will be the latest version, what ever that is.

The upgrade is to the COMAND unit software, not the nav software, via a CD that the dealer can obtain as a service tool. The part number of the update disc is W211 589 06 22 00. More info in this thread: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71801

Ady said:
I am not sure which version it is, as I have not sussed out how to find that information yet (so many things to learn). I picked the car up from the factory last week so it will be the latest version, what ever that is.

If you get the Nav DVD out of the boot it has it written on it. I assume this is the version.

JohnM said:
The upgrade is to the COMAND unit software, not the nav software, via a CD that the dealer can obtain as a service tool. The part number of the update disc is W211 589 06 22 00. More info in this thread: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71801

This link is excellent, the pictures are great, well worth checking out.

Just contacted dealer apparently they say the disk is not in U.k. but can be ordered from Germany. Cost is about £14.72 plus VAT. They then say it will be about £30 minutes of labour i.e. about £40.

My question is can I do this upgrade myself. The disk seems to have instructions on it which seem simple but do they need to do anything else afterwards?

Also discovered the 2004 upgrade NAV DVD is now £131, 3 months ago it was £250 but there is a new upgrade out soon (end of August)

Last edited:
I believe you could do the upgrade yourself, from previous info I have seen posted main thing is to have the engine running and lock the car for the duration of the upgrade to ensure nothing interrupts the process (which takes about 10 minutes). If you feel like trying that I'll happily contribute to the cost of the disc and be next in line to apply the update :)

If you want the dealer to do it then they should not be charging you for the disc itself, it is basically a tool they buy and can use on any customers' car afterwards, you should only be paying for the labour charge. However, since the actual labour is about 2 minutes worth of inserting the disc and walking away it seems a complete rip to be charged 30 minutes - should be the sort of thing they do for free if the car is already booked in for something else, like a service or the SBC recall update

ctrips said:
Is it possible to retrofit a DVD COMAND? Is it too new to exist on Ebay yet.....sounds very slick....
Try Braybrookes it,ll cost about £3000! Worth it if your keeping car

Have just ordered upgrade disk - cost including VAT about £17. It is on back order I will let you know when it arrives.

plgibson said:
Try Braybrookes it,ll cost about £3000! Worth it if your keeping car

Ah crud, I am thinking of going for a COMAND in my W210 (non-CANBUS, but can sort that out as Audiocomp.de have some dual function CANBUS/non-CANBUS models). Looks reasonable at about 800-900 for standard 2.0 COMAND. DVD would have been sweet but i guess it's for the rich folk n' their W211s!!!!

Ady said:

Hi there! My local dealer just tried to install that Software Upgrade but they said there were no changes that registered. I then loaded a CD-R with MP3 music files but got a DVD ERROR message. The service tech are now checking with Germany about what went wrong.

It just occurred to me that maybe I need to burn those MP3 files onto a DVD and not a CD-R. I was wondering if you are able to test it by trying to play a CD-R with MP3 files instead of the DVD? I'd appreciate it if it's not too much trouble for you :)

It just occurred to me that maybe I need to burn those MP3 files onto a DVD and not a CD-R. I was wondering if you are able to test it by trying to play a CD-R with MP3 files instead of the DVD? I'd appreciate it if it's not too much trouble for you

I just put a load of MP3 files (129 + space to spare :cool: ) on a CD-R and tried it in the COMAND and it works fine.
I used Pinnacle InstantCD+DVD SE (free with the DVD writer) with the MP3 disk wizard to create the disk so I don't know if that has any influence in the matter. E.g. maybe it is the format of the data that is the key.

A long wait!

Goldfish11 said:
Have just ordered upgrade disk - cost including VAT about £17. It is on back order I will let you know when it arrives.

Just to let you all know the upgrade disk finally arrived last week. It took 7 weeks for my dealer to get hold of it.

Upgrade was simple on the cover of the CD it told you how to put it in set up mode and you stick the CD in. Process took about 10 minutes. I got an error message the first time I did it but found by taking the nav DVD out of the boot meant it was happy and loaded completely. So letting the dealer charge me to install it would have been a waste of money.

I also managed to get hold of the latest Nav DVD last week on Ebay for £43. This is version 2004/3.0 still no M6 Toll on it but it does seem to update faster than my old version 2.0. Dealer quoted me £130 for this. This also took about 10 minutes to upgrade but is very straight forward.

So complete upgrade cost £60.

MP3 is excellent. Have already started converting my old CDs (or as it is called Ripping CDs). I am using Nero6 for this and paid an extra £9 for unlimited MP3 conversion. It takes about 3 minutes to convert each CD including downloading all the song titles and artists off the internet so the files have this information in. This means when the track is playing you get all the information coming up on the comand system both on the main screen and the instrument console screen.

ctrips said:
Ah crud, I am thinking of going for a COMAND in my W210 (non-CANBUS, but can sort that out as Audiocomp.de have some dual function CANBUS/non-CANBUS models). Looks reasonable at about 800-900 for standard 2.0 COMAND. DVD would have been sweet but i guess it's for the rich folk n' their W211s!!!!
211 comands don't fit and don't work in a 210...

As for the software upgrade for the 211 comands...comand software upgrades are meant to take care of known software glitches and the delaership is suposed to OFFER THAT SERVICE FOR FREE rather then charging 17 pounds for a disc that costs hardly 10 euro...

greetingz,

Does this upgrade apply to C230 (2005) comand aps????
I dont know how to activate mp3 playing on my car..

Thanx...

Not sure about the software version but in COMAND - APS as fitted to the W211 there is a hidden menu to enable/disable MP3 playback

P1010010.JPG

Tropico,

I don't think the COMAND in the C Class is the same - I have sent you a PM

STEVE

BTW, I have started a COMAND-APS FAQ at http://www.mercupgrades.com - it tells you about the upgrade disks for various vehicles as-well

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom