MP3's not playing on Comand 2.5 NTG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikerd4

Car
CLS
Never had a problem playing mp3s using the sd card on my comand 2.5 but yesterday I copied some new music and its not happy. It sees the track name displays it and then skips to the next track in the album. Eventually it likes one and will play it. I checked and they are all in the same format etc

Any idea why its doing this? Its also not showing the tracks in the correct number but when checked on the pc they are showing as they should

This is (some of the) very useful advice from Kingpin on my NTG2.5 thread:

"You need to update the firmware of COMAND NTG 2.5 to the latest version. After that it will recognize 32GB SD-Cards. If you intend to fill the SD-Card with music you need to divide your folders into other folders (in other words, you cannot simply drop 200 folders into the root of the SD-Card but maybe divide those 200 into 10 folders with like 20 folders each). It must be FAT32 formatted and only MP3 (not FLAC). I don't think it's the folders in itself but the amount of files under a folder structure. Before you can update to the latest or recent maps you also need to update the firmware (requirement)."

Might that be your problem?

No its reading the card ok, no problems with other music on the card. One of the albums will read the track names and think for a second then jump to the next one. It will read/play some songs in the folder but not others? They all seem to be the same file waise when I check them out just cant understand why it will play some but not others?

It sounds like you need to do some detective work.
Put the SD card back in the PC, then use Explorer to look at the SD card directories. Do both the skipped & non-skipped files play OK on your PC? This will identify corrupted files, e.g. due to damaged SD card.
In Explorer, right click on the column titles line (usually labelled 'Name', 'Date Modified', 'Size', 'File Type'). In the context menu that appears, ensure that the following boxes are ticked: Name, #, Title, Album, Bit Rate, Size, Length. Extra columns of data will now appear in the Explorer window. Are any of the lengths 00:00:00 ? These files won't play. The bit rates should be less than 320 kbps. Do the skipped tracks differ in bit rate to the ones that are played? Do the titles contain 'funny' characters?
Now right click on a track file name (e.g. Waterloo.mp3). From the context menu select 'Properties'. Click on the 'Details' tab at the top. Scroll down to the 'File' section. Check that the 'Item type'. Check that it is 'MP3 File'.

If none of this highlights the problem, then the only other thing I can think of is the type of ID3 tag used, but that's a bit much for a simple check.

HTH,
Ian.

Not the same behaviour, and not the same operating system running the head unit, but I had my new HU refusing to even list some files, reporting, say 760 tracks instead of 820.
Turns out, all the offending files had underscore immediately after the track number (usually hidden) in their file names. Renamed, and everything is perfect. I also removed ALL underscores from file names (there's an app for that ... ha ha)

@Larkone Well spotted. Of course, I meant 'less than or equal to 320 kbps'. Not the first time I've made that mistake, usually when writing software...

Sorry not got back to you guys. All songs are in the same folder within the same album (Now 98, dont judge me its for the kids).

All files are 320kbps, all have the same naming order ie
01. Camila Cabello Feat. Young Thug – Havana 03:37
02. Post Malone Feat. 21 Savage – Rockstar 03:38
03. Sam Smith – Too Good At Goodbyes 03:21
04. P!Nk – What About Us 04:31

They all have a length ie not 00.00

It reads the title and displays it, then waits 2-3 seconds and moves to the next file, it does this till it finally find one and plays it. All tracks open perfectly on the pc, in fact Im going to check in my wifes Audi and will see if that has any issue playing the files out of interest.

Try taking the track length numbers out.

take them all out , just call them track 1,2 ,3 etc etc . i ended up using nero to burn mp3 to disc because windows media player was sabotaging them somehow.

Copy the tracks that wont play onto a seperate sd card and try them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom