Mpg c250 cgi thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjabbot

Car
C Class C250 CGI
Coming from a C180 s204 manual face-lift to a c250 cgi s204 auto (2 years younger), I'm enjoying the extra power and the 7 speed gearbox. Just wondering if the 6 or 7 mpg less I'm getting is to be expected (was averaging 36.5 in the manual, now about 32, mixed drives). I'm guessing so, but wondered what people thought? I don't think I'm driving it a lot harder than the previous car!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

36.5 - 32 is 4.5mpg less, not 6 or 7mpg?

I would expect that difference from simply going auto.

36.5 - 32 is 4.5mpg less, not 6 or 7mpg?

I would expect that difference from simply going auto.
Yes good point! In the manual I would get anything between 35 and 40 on a run, whereas in the c250 auto it seems to be between 30 and 35. They have the same combined mpg, officially! I guess it's the auto box and the extra hp.

Yes good point! In the manual I would get anything between 35 and 40 on a run, whereas in the c250 auto it seems to be between 30 and 35. They have the same combined mpg, officially! I guess it's the auto box and the extra hp.

The extra horsepower is only a factor for reduced fuel economy if you use it.

Hi
I have an C250CGI in an S204.
I average about 25mpg around the town and 32mpg on the mway dropping to 28mpg if I push hard.
Hope this helps
Jim

Hi
I have an C250CGI in an S204.
I average about 25mpg around the town and 32mpg on the mway dropping to 28mpg if I push hard.
Hope this helps
Jim
Thanks, it does. As there don't appear to be many of the c250 about in the UK, there's not much user info out there. Your figures tally with mine, after a few weeks of ownership. Cheers. As an aside, I'm finding it cranks a bit longer on startup before firing - is that familiar or just mine?

I’ve had my C350 CGI Sport saloon from new in 2012. I’ve found that fuel consumption varies a lot. It’s returned 40mpg on a long run in the summer and as little as 20mpg on local very short trips at this time of the year. But I’ve also noticed some surprising variations within one day, being just 27mpg in one direction and 35mpg in the other on a mix of A and B roads without any significant hills and similar traffic conditions. As a general rule, I find that fuel consumption is improved the more I’m able to use cruise control.

Regarding the longer cranking time, I think that again it’s a factor of the weather. Mine takes a little longer when it’s cold.

Hi
No mine starts first time every time. Only had trouble starting once and that was when I had to replace the battery.
Jim

Just as an update - I had my car in to the dealer for the airbag recall a few weeks ago, and raised the issue of the longer cranking, as the car is still within the approved used warranty period. Turns out the fuel pump was faulty, which they have just replaced under warranty today. Only fired it twice since en route home, but seems to be better, so hopefully that's solved it. Info in case anyone else googles this issue! Oh and my long term average after 5 months and about 4k miles of driving is about 32/33mpg. About 80% of advertised combined figure!

80% is fair against unfair / unrealistic brochure numbers
It being warmer (finally) has improved my mpg
Which is a good thing as I see petrol's creeping up......

I find the official MPG figures to be unrealistic for most typical driving but not unfair as in fraudulent. Mine will achieve the official figures easily enough but only in the complete absence of traffic or hold ups of any kind. On the open roads I get 45 MPG and motorway 50 MPG but show it traffic or steep hills and it drops way down into the 30's. If you drive in ideal conditions then the official figures should be a good test that the car is working correctly. If it can't achieve those figures driven carefully then there may be something wrong.

Remember, extra urban figure is also with car up to temperature, 210ºc air temps and accelerating to 70mph and then over 7km averaging 35mph.

It is not sat at 70mph on the motorway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom