MPG Calculations ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Now some of us are unfortunate (or perhaps fortunate in some cases) to not have a dash display teslling us avg MPG, overall MPG, etc ... and therefore we have to resort to manual calculations (using the good old trusty Lotus 1-2-3.

However - Depending on which way I caculate my data I get different results - either 23.33 or 22.97 MPG which differ again from on-line MPG calc tools.

So - my question - do we have any folks here who could very reliably tell me what my MPG is (without resorting to an on-line tool).

I have a spreadsheet I can send with all relevant data if need be.

many thanks in advance,

hummm .... I'm doing all that.

At fill-up time:

Take the number of litres, then divide that 0.22 for gallons

Then add the cost and price per litre.

I then take my current mileage minus my last fill-up mileage divided by the number of gallons.

From the data above I also work out miles per litre, cost per mile and litres per 100kms.

Still not convinced. I'm basing my cost per mile on the cost of the previous fill-up (as that's the actual fuel I used).

I'll have a play.

Originally posted by Kinky
Depending on which way I caculate my data I get different results - either 23.33 or 22.97 MPG which differ again from on-line MPG calc tools.

I have a spreadsheet I can send with all relevant data if need be.

:eek: :eek:

Wow!!

I'll mail it to you if you want

just not absolutely 100% confident with it.

Here's my Excel spreadsheet. I can send you the original if it would be of any use? (although it's not polished)

mileage.gif

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited:
Andrew - that would be really cool if you could.

As a test I can drop your numbers into my file and see if I get the same results as you.

If not - then I'll just switch to that other product that's not 1-2-3.

You can mail it to [email protected]

That will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Check your mailbox (and ignore the DIV/0 errors!!)

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi,

I'm curious.

I keep an eye on my MPG on my SL (3.8 V8 ) but only roughly. As for the A160, only enough to make sure that something hasn't gone drasticly wrong.

Here I see that you are concerned by the possibility of being point something of a mile adrift.

Is this an unhealthy obsession :crazy: or is there something more to it ?

That said I'm already thinking the spread sheet would be quite cool. Uh oh........:eek:

Cheers,
Michael.

Last edited:
I had an A160 Auto . That did about 19-23 MPG ..

I had a problem with it starting , whatever they did at the workshop

1 . Made the car fly

2. started really really well

Hehe , that car was like a go-cart , it handled like nothing else :D

We have the 'clutchless' version.

Took some getting used to but good fun none the less. I think of it as dogem car rather than a go-cart but I know what you mean.

Love the sunroof too.

We do a little better on the MPG though.

Cheers,
Michael.

Fuzzer scribbled

I had an A160 Auto . That did about 19-23 MPG ..

Jeepers, thats a terrible figure for a modern 1.6 engined little hatchback. Is that normal?

It did about 34 on the motorway.

I get crap MPG on all my cars because they spend their entire life in the city centre. Just a posing mobile really..:bannana: :bannana:

Does anyone actually still use the MPG figures?
All I do is put £X amount of fuel in when the light comes on. when it comes on again, put more fuel in and then calculate how many miles I got for my money. So the new acronym would be MP£.
It still amuses me that although we drive german cars and love 'em to bits, we still do our damnedest to convert MPL to MPG, lol

Agreed Steve.

I too calculate how far my £50 gets me, but to make the conversation relevant to most, you have to convert to MPG, despite purchasing litres :confused: :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Jim: File sent. Far from perfect I know. I did one years ago for my Corrado which was *much* better. Spent loads of time on it, but lost it in a hard drive failure :mad:

Kinky: I've noticed an error in the averaging function (out by 0.5 gallons), so if you want a revised one, let me know.

(And yes it does matter :D )

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew - could you send me the revised one please?

To be honest we're not that far out between us. I took your file and plugged my numbers into it - and there are some differences. I'm more suspect of my 123 calculations.

What I will do (when I get the time) - is dump my 123 data in Excel (seperate to your file) and see if I get the same results!.

As an FYi -

My results tell me that:

1. My MPG is 24.42 (yours says 24.63)
2. My MPL is 5.37 (yours says 5.42)
3. My cost per mile is 14p
4. My L/100kms is 11.64

In addition - your data also tells me ...
5. My cost per gallon in £3.45

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom