MPG E350 vs E320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles.Y

I bought the E350 is mainly for:
1) we only do <6000 miles a year
2) it is used for school runs and shopping etc
3) like the mid range accelration of a n/a v6
4) costs less the CDI to purchase and
5) seems to cost less (fuel wise) according to our usage pattern
6) don't like to be seen driving a company car or a cab ;)

I have achieved an avg 30 mpg in the last 500 miles and where most of the driving were done in start and stop town driving.

Just wonder what do you get in the E320 CDI with similar driving pattern.

(Note: I have since disabled the DVD in motion feature which I have 'acceidentally enabled it' just in case someone is interested.)

There's no question, the E320CDI is better in every way for fuel consumption.

So you are getting an average of 30mpg from a 3.5 litre v6 petrol?

That i would like to see! pull up the recorded mpg and post a piccy.

How are you working this out?

Lynall

Why have such a large engined car for such a small annual mileage??

The official fuel consumption figures for the E350:

Urban (mpg) – 21.7
Extra-urban (mpg) – 44.8
Combined (mpg) – 32.5

And E320:

Urban (mpg) – 27.4
Extra-urban (mpg) – 50.4
Combined (mpg) – 38.7

Re. mid-range acceleration, the E350 has 365 Nm of torque, and the E320 has 540 Nm. So I think the diesel would be quicker.

They have the same 0-62 time.

Why have such a large engined car for such a small annual mileage??

Some might say that's a good situation to be in.

With high petrol prices a large engine car might otherwise be too expensive to run, but with only doing 6k miles a year it's not so much of an issue.

Some might say that's a good situation to be in.

With high petrol prices a large engine car might otherwise be too expensive to run, but with only doing 6k miles a year it's not so much of an issue.

Yes Will, I understand that some people like this situation!

What I am trying to understand is, even if you're driving <6k a year, why would you worry yourself about a handfull of mpg against a similar diesel.

I have driven diesels for some years now as I have racked up large mileages and against a similar petrol, there is just no argument - diesel every time.

I, personally, would maybe go for say a good 2L petrol for that sort of mileage - certainly a car that you could get 35-40 mpg if driven carefully especially on a run.

Again, if money is not the issue either, then why worry about the mpg or is the environment playing on Charles mind?!!!

Yes Will, I understand that some people like this situation!

What I am trying to understand is, even if you're driving <6k a year, why would you worry yourself about a handfull of mpg against a similar diesel.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original point.

I agree that at 6k a year fuel is a modest cost and that depreciation is often larger.

I have achieved an avg 30 mpg in the last 500 miles and where most of the driving were done in start and stop town driving.

(Note: I have since disabled the DVD in motion feature which I have 'acceidentally enabled it' just in case someone is interested.)

I assume you bought second hand because the E350 costs more new than the E320CDI. When you come to sell it on you will find that the petrol car depreciates faster than the diesel.

If you're getting 30mpg round town then you're doing really well. I struggle to get more than 27mpg. Mind you on short runs a big diesel will not get up to operating temperature.

Mainly for round town use you will not use the performance potential of either engine.

On long runs I usually get well in excess of 40mpg (recent run 123 miles, stop to start average from the trip computer 71mile/h, fuel consumption 41.9mpg) you will not match that with an E350.

Nothing aganist diesel. I always like v6 petrol engine and my last E240 just felt a bit underpower. The v8 E500 is just too thirsty and that's why the E350.

Maybe one day we will see s diesel-powered SL or even a McLaren SL. At the moment, I am quite happy with the E350's performance and mpg and possibility to tune the engine. Not sure if there are performance tunning options available for a E320 CDI? I guess the mpg conscience owners wouldn't too bother about performance ;)

BTW, my other car is a Porsche 944 S2 and yes it is a petrol n/a engine and it still gives about 30mpg combined even after 20 years :cool:

Maybe one day we will see s diesel-powered SL
They produced a concept SL400 with a 4 litre V8 diesel, and an SLK320 with the V6. And Audi have a V12 TDI R8 that may or may not go into production

Not sure if there are performance tunning options available for a E320 CDI?
Many. It's turbocharged, so remapping gives an easy route to more power/torque if desired.

Hello

See no problem having a large engine if you only do few miles, Dervs maybe better like for like but they still rattle on start up and in town driving you still know its a derv.

I'm tempted to swap mine for a ML55 given I only do 6K miles a year, but then I'm not worried about fuel costs anyway no point with my millage.

I need a resonable size car to fit our familys stuff in and tow our caravan, have to say I was also tempted with a E500 Estate not that long ago.

Yes they depreciate more, but you buy them for less to start with and the gap between then is still there so makes no odds?

I agree the E320cdi engine is very good, My dads W211 is a E320cdi, he gets over 40 almost every trip with his record being 63mpg driving on the space saver at 55mph. Yes it goes ok, but still noisey in town and start up.

If you do 15-20K plus a year no problem its the way to go, if not I say enjoy what ever else is out there while we still can.

Hello

See no problem having a large engine if you only do few miles, Dervs maybe better like for like but they still rattle on start up and in town driving you still know its a derv.

I'm tempted to swap mine for a ML55 given I only do 6K miles a year, but then I'm not worried about fuel costs anyway no point with my millage.

I need a resonable size car to fit our familys stuff in and tow our caravan, have to say I was also tempted with a E500 Estate not that long ago.

Yes they depreciate more, but you buy them for less to start with and the gap between then is still there so makes no odds?

I agree the E320cdi engine is very good, My dads W211 is a E320cdi, he gets over 40 almost every trip with his record being 63mpg driving on the space saver at 55mph. Yes it goes ok, but still noisey in town and start up.

If you do 15-20K plus a year no problem its the way to go, if not I say enjoy what ever else is out there while we still can.

Agree totally. What I didn't mention in my OP is that if you don't do many miles and are looking for a used W211. Then to me the E350 seems a good option as you pau less to buy 2nd hand and more likely to get s E350 with better specs (like mine with COMAND and glass roof, Logic7 hi-fi etc) and not bad mpg really. The resale value maybe less than a E320 CDI but not that much if they are over 5 years old.

There are just too many CDI around, company cars and cabs alike. Just fancy a bit different and stand out from the crowd. :cool:

BTW, I used to own a S600 and there is no diesel can the pure power of a V12. Imagine having a S600 with a knocking noisy start!:eek:

For a petrolhead, petrol is the choice. You never know, I may do some mods to the E350 and take it to the track as an alternative to my 944.

New cars with large petrol engines are now almost always company cars or run by limo/cab companies. Sensible buyers using their own money buy diesel. More performance for less fuel and less VED, and less depreciation too. No brainer IMO.

The 3 litre diesel offers virtually identical performance to the 3.5 litre petrol engines. No wonder 9 out of every 10 E class cars sold in the UK are now diesel.

Coudnt agree more of whats said above^^^

I drove the new E350 coupe coudnt really tell any difference in perfomance than my E320 CDi infact on rolling starts i found my CDi to have alot more punch. Never the less the 350V6 is so smooth, quite and sounds really nice when booted.. all in all a great engine.

It's obvious the CDi will be more economical after all it's designed to be a long distance cruiser.

What is about so many owners of petrol engined cars that they have to knock diesel? Little childish digs about cabs and so on. Do they feel threatened because petrol engine sales are now vanishingly small for most Mercedes models? And why are they so often out of touch with the reality of modern cars. Nobody who has driven an S320cdi with the new V6 can possibly not notice the amazing quietness, smoothness and refinement.

As for performance and price and economy, here are the figures for the 211 E class.
0-62 3.0 litre diesel: - 6.8 seconds.
0-62 3.5 litre petrol: - 6.8 seconds.
Topspeed: both 155 limited.
Cost:- Diesel £36,841 Petrol £37,467

Miles per gallon (combined figure): - petrol 32.5mpg
Diesel almost 20% better at 38.7 mpg

E320 CDi 224bhp Torque 540 / 1,600–2,400

E350 272bhp Torque 350 / 3,000–5,100

The E350 has weedy torque compared to the CDi, not to mention the CDi is a stronger engine also!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom