MPG in E350 ST212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjhalstead

Car
E 350 Estate
My great new to me ST212 did 47.9 mpg on a 300 mile round trip yesterday yay way to go beats the land rover TDV6 I had by 21MPG!!!:bannana:

It's an S212.

and cracking average from a 350. :thumb:

Yeah, mid to high 40s is what I get on a run. I'm about 8mpg down on the Passat I had before, but it's worth every litre.

I have the petrol, the very best I can get on a long run is 37mpg.

48 is damned good.

I am averaging 31mpg now, the E350cdi I had before (early S212 from 2010 with 231bhp) used to only average 33mpg (35mpg on the on board computer).

Now as much as I am a petrol fan, having the E350cgi and the C320cdi and jumping out of one and into the other I can see why people would chose the cdi over the petrol. I think the cdi is more exciting more of the time as the power is like an on/off switch. It is like a little devil sitting on your shoulder egging you on to plant your foot. :devil:

agreed

Yes the power is awesome a real push back in the seat. BTW I always use Millers diesel treatment in all my diesel cars, I do think it makes a difference.

My e220 s212 has averaged 37mpg over 3 years and 42,000 miles.

I think that is 5h!t@ and I will stick to larger engines in the future. Little ones have to work harder I guess.

Something wrong with either the car or the way you drive it then!!!

My E220 W212 averages low 50's most of the time.

Now as much as I am a petrol fan, having the E350cgi and the C320cdi and jumping out of one and into the other I can see why people would chose the cdi over the petrol. I think the cdi is more exciting more of the time as the power is like an on/off switch.
It's not petrol vs diesel, it's normally aspirated vs forced induction that gives the massively different driving characteristics.

It's not petrol vs diesel, it's normally aspirated vs forced induction that gives the massively different driving characteristics.

Yeah I know, I'm consistently banging on to diesel drivers that when they say they don't like petrol. ;)

I hope they offer the E400 or whatever they will call it, on the new inline six petrols when they arrive, I think a blown 3 straight six would suit the E Class a treat. I found the 335i a bit dull as I wanted to work the 3 series like you had to with the M3, but think it would suit a big Merc perfectly, especially in estate form.

Something wrong with either the car or the way you drive it then!!!

My E220 W212 averages low 50's most of the time.

Depends where you drive it though.

if you do loads of short runs the difference between a 220d, 350d and 350cgi is sod all.
If you hardly do any journeys shorter than 10 miles the differences start to get bigger, if you are someone who does even lots of 20 mile journeys all the time even bigger gap.

For round town and short runs I do find that small 4 cylinder diesels disappoint, but when you start cruising they excel.

Well I never believe the computer,the only way to check the MPG is to fill up,by that I mean put the spout all the way in and fill until the lever clicks, reset the trip,then do your driving and if possible use the same pump and the same method,then do the sums,mileage divided by the number of litres multiplied by 4.56,my S320 running local does 35mpg,on a long run I can get 40+

It is actually 4.546 not 4.56. ;)

Every diesel I have owned has been optimistic on the OBC, where as every petrol I have owned has been spot on or pessimistic.

One thing I have noticed is, my diesels start at 38mpg and work their way down, they tend to get to around 25/26 and then start to climb up again, where as the petrols start at 14.1mpg and sit there until it gets to 90ºc and then starts to rapidly creep up.

This means that on short journeys If I only drive for say 3 miles it can end at about 33mpg on the diesel, then after 6 miles be at 26mpg before starting to climb again. However, I know for a fact that doing 3 miles in the diesel is doing less mpg than doing 6 miles, so that is why I think the diesels often read over optimistically.

True MPG

Just did a 700 mile round trip filled up at same pump before and after MPG 46.5 over the 700 miles OBC showed 47.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom