MPG Inquiry..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ironsheik

Car
W204 C200CDI SPORT.
Last weekend went from:

Manchester - Bradford - London - Brighton - Bradford - Manchester

This was the first real test of my first diesel motor.. Filled the tank before I left and needed to refill when i reached Bradford on the way back..

on the motorways did no more than 85... Also i think I could have squeeed another 20 - 30 miles from the tank but did not want to chance it..

Here is a photo... What do you guys think, is this decent as the car has only done 8000 miles, will the mpg improve or is this what to expect..

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 160
I get that same mpg as you in my E320 V6 Cdi, so I would expect yours to get a lot better.

On a similar run I get close to 50 so it's not too bad.:)

Mine's a W203 200cdi, so that may make a difference but here's my consumption. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy. The average speed says 59mph.

Attachments

• Consumption.jpg
    Consumption.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 149
My W204 Cdi200 averages around 40mpg, the best on holiday was indicating 45mpg with mostly pottering about on A roads. I've not done any long distance motorway runs, so I would be quite pleased to see that sort of figure. I'm a light footed driver and the fuel consumption has been my biggest dissapointment with the car which in all other respects is first class.

Seems good to me! The question is, are you happy with it. You have a refined car with an automatic gearbox that'll cruise at speeds way over the speed limits, many struggle to get that kind of MPG from much smaller cars.

Economy is more about driving style, yours looks good to me, I had no problem getting 50mpg from a twin turbo 220cdi, but it's a challenge to get 40mpg from the 320cdi, mostly because the temptation to overtake because you can, rather than you need to, is too great...

Seems good to me! The question is, are you happy with it. You have a refined car with an automatic gearbox that'll cruise at speeds way over the speed limits, many struggle to get that kind of MPG from much smaller cars.

Economy is more about driving style, yours looks good to me, I had no problem getting 50mpg from a twin turbo 220cdi, but it's a challenge to get 40mpg from the 320cdi, mostly because the temptation to overtake because you can, rather than you need to, is too great...

Well coming from a Y reg 320i, this mpg makes me happy, to be honest i've got no reason to complain.. But when I hear people say they get 60+ mpg, I cant help but think they must have been driving at a snails pace which is something, unfortunately, I cant do..

85MPH will kill MPG.

Try 65 on cruise. I have tried it, but can't stick it for more than 1/2 an hour!

Nice.... Whats your mileage?

It's about 120,000. The big killer for mpg is the right foot and starting from rest. You can see that my 60+ mpg was with a higher average speed than your 48. Anticipation is the key. If the lights ahead are red take your foot off the gas and glide up to them, with a bit of luck they'll have changed by the time you get there and you won't have had to pull away from rest. Avoid heavy braking and hard acceleration. Every time you brake, you're turning fuel into waste heat. On motorways and dual carriageways, cruise control is your friend.

On European trips, I average a little of 40mpg, see picture. However this includes traffic hold ups, lots of cold starts and town driving. The car is well loaded, air con is on and no concession is made to economy; so I think that's pretty good. On Motorways I have reset the trip, and at 75/85 cruising it stays at over 50mpg, I even seen 58mpg at 70mph for many miles. Its the straight six diesel with 204bhp, and I think that's pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom