mpg - long term

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cinek

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB W204 , BMW F10, GSXR LZ3
Apologies for yet another one of those threads, but, most of the posts I have seen so far were all about one journey, there and back.
We can all take a back seat and puddle along carefully watching current fuel usage.

My trip computer got reseted about 8 weeks ago, since then I have done some driving around and in London.
Whenever I could help, it was very early or very late to avoid traffic, but there would have been countless cases of doing 0.05mph on M25.

Before you ask, yes I tried to drive economically, but unfortunately I am not very good at it. When in hurry, the right foot does somehow become tad heavy.

Overall result is as shown, and to be perfectly honest, I am well chuffed with it.
I have never done mpg check over such long time, but I know I could do a lot better, if I had enough patience, which might be a bit difficult.

IMG_0644_zps7f352e59.jpg
[/URL]

Is that the 250CDI engine?
6483 miles in 8 weeks is some serious driving.

Now had my E 250cdi coupe for 14 months and 14000miles. Latest tank/tank mpg today was 51.94 (mix of motorway at 70-75mph, A roads and some country lanes & into town). Best tank/tank mpg to date is 53.84; worst was 45.14. Average over the 14000miles is 48.34 - all accurate tank/tank. OBC averages 2-2.5% optimistic.

Is that the 250CDI engine?
6483 miles in 8 weeks is some serious driving.

220 CDI, manual
Re-distance, I know :(
Normally, I dont do any less than 40k a year.

I reset my computer when I got home having fetched the car. My E220 AG Estate auto is currently showing a long term average since then of 46.3mpg. My motoring is predominantly M1 - 130 miles each way to my place of work (not every day!) which sees me joining at about 6.30 and getting off at somewhere approaching 9 at J7. I also do a few short journeys around town and the occasional country run. I try to be economical but sometimes I am late! I also sometimes have a heavy load - especially when taking or collecting youngest from uni in Guildford. I am more than happy with that for such a big car and auto.

Ian

Edit Forgot to add that I have had the car for 4 and a bit months and done 13 thousand miles.

Last edited:
First year from new in my 250cdi manual I averaged 60mpg on the obc. Second year have covered over 8k miles and averaging 62mpg on the obc. A quarter of my mileage is commuting in town and much of the remainer is motorway.

Attachments

• Image0049.jpg
    Image0049.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 15
First year from new in my 250cdi manual I averaged 60mpg on the obc. Second year have covered over 8k miles and averaging 62mpg on the obc. A quarter of my mileage is commuting in town and much of the remainer is motorway.

that is extremely impressive :thumb:

I think the key to any of these MPG stats is the inclusion of average speed calculations. That indicates more accurately the balance between slow town driving and motorway miles i believe.

I often see mpg figures quoted where people say they do lots of town driving as part of their impressive mpg figures but i see an average speed of 48mph or something. From my experience, averages around the 30mph indicate a significant amount of town/city driving.

Above this you can then start to get decent mpg figures

I think the key to any of these MPG stats is the inclusion of average speed calculations. That indicates more accurately the balance between slow town driving and motorway miles i believe.

I often see mpg figures quoted where people say they do lots of town driving as part of their impressive mpg figures but i see an average speed of 48mph or something. From my experience, averages around the 30mph indicate a significant amount of town/city driving.

Above this you can then start to get decent mpg figures
I agree, and there is also a world of difference between town driving outside the busy periods and town driving during school run time. I too time my commute to avoid the worst of the traffic. Interesting to see such a marked difference in the obc accuracy levels - mine has consistently been almost 7% optimistic on mpg whereas others are much closer to reality.

the obc is surprisingly accurate on mine - always within 1mpg (odd occasion it is underestimating!).

It is hard to judge whether 45mpg at average of 35mph is as good as 40mpg with an average of 25mph.

Mine is averaging 41mpg which seems quite low but my average is usually about 30mph. I thought my run to work was fairly straight forward but the average speed tells another story. One day the average can be 35mph and the next could be 25mph.

On a run it is great and can do over 50mpg easily.

Last week I went from some where to some where else at a reasonable average speed and did I don't really care miles to the gallon ..I just got on with it and enjoyed it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom