MPG on the daily commute

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by LeighW, Nov 30, 2006.

1. LeighW

LeighW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
    I must say I absolutely hate my crappy commute in the winter. It's only 6 miles, but I seem to do nothing but get stuck behind people who are unable to exceed 40mph when it's dark. I'm sure a large percentage of folks can't see well enough to drive. :mad:
    That and the fact that the engine hardly gets time to warm up make for some shocking MPG figures. I took this photo when I got home tonight. Sorry about the fuzzy picture - my camera phone is none too special. And yes, that does say 15.9mpg :eek:

[​IMG]

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    During summer holidays I was able to get between 20 and 22 mpg.

Since then I've struggled to better between 17 and 19 mpg!!

Doesn't sound like much of a difference but in extremis it's a difference of more than 30% :eek:

3. BonzoDog

BonzoDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
    This morning I averaged 7.2 liters per 100Kms at an average of 73 kms/hr over 25 kms or around 35 mpg, avg 45 to 50 mph for 15 miles. This is on the motorway from Belgium to Luxembourg. The standard of driving is appalingly bad. Last week the motorway was closed three times because of idiot drivers. each day there are minor acciidents. This, I make no attempt to keep up with the tailgating, foot to the floor (throttle and brake), determined to sahave a second of the time to work mentaility. I tuck in behind a truck on the outside lane at a safe distance. He maintains a steady speed, nobody tries to cut in except at entrances and exits and rarely am I tailagted. My estimate is that this takes me 30 seconds to 2 minutes longer but I have far less stress and far less risk - it is also economic.

4. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    I checked Edna's MPG last week and was delighted - my daily 25 mile run down the A1 and A64 seems to be suiting her. Rather than averaging under 25 mpg - she's doing just under 27 :bannana: :bannana: :rock:

Will all change when I move next month as it's back to the A61 which is a much more rewarding drive:devil: :devil:

5. moneyman

moneyman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 320 CDI
    Pleasantly supprised that on the commute to work averaging 25mpg and on a recent trip down to London managed 30 mpg. Our Porsche averaged 26 mpg so no change in having a nice V8 lump under the bonnet:D

6. KLP 92

KLP 92 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
    Yesterday my commute involved me leaving my house in Middesex London, driving to Dartford, then to Leighton Buzzard, to Tamworth, then to Stockport (manchester), then to Huddersfield, then to Rotherham, a quick in Leiscter, and then back home!

I filled up fuel in Leiscter on the way home, after 523 miles, the reserve light was just about to come on! Needless to say i was in the diesel, wasn't driving slow or too fast, around the 75-85mph mark. All the driving was motorway mainly and long A roads, but i'm extremely happy with the fuel consumption!

Needless to say after filling up, i was home in 1 hr 10, thats inc the Luton roadwarks and over 1/4 tank of diesel :devil:

7. lotusmark2

lotusmark2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
    62 mile a day round trip on the M61 and 62, takes 1hour 15mins each way so gives you an idea of the traffic.....I get between 49-52mpg :)

8. Rose Chap

Rose Chap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus GS450h
    100 mile a day round trip from Horsham to Reading via Guildford. 3 hours minimum a day.

I'm averaging about 25 mpg and have therefore applied for a Shell loyalty card!

9. R2D2

R2D2 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C350
    I'm getting 19-22 in a around town morning drive. But I drove to ondon last night and saw low 30's straight away (reassuring-it can still do better mpg)

I found myself wishing MB would produce a Hybrid sooner rather than later.

10. blackscooby

blackscooby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
    50 miles a day commute. Around 18MPG for the tank, calculated and not from the computer figure. Highest ever a seen was 22MPG.

Oh and just to make you feel slightly better mine normally says around 10MPG on the computer after about 6 miles :eek:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  11. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I commute by train, but on local trips my Sharan (2.8 petrol) is typically around 15-18 mpg. The SL doesn't have a computer!

12. GrahamC230K

GrahamC230K MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A3 & S4 quattro
    I get an average of 13mpg if I drive to work. I tend not to.

13. OP
    OP
    LeighW

LeighW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
    :eek: Ouch. The last time I did a long run in mine was a lad's weekend to Newcastle back in September. 400 mile round trip, averaged just under 30mpg, which isn't bad for a 3.2 considering there were 4 people plus bags in the car.

My old Evo VII was far worse, I never got more than 150 miles from a tank of fuel, something like 16 - 17mpg. Taking into account it's requirement for Optimax and octane booster as well, it was horrendous to run. :crazy:

14. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    The computers aren't amazingly accurate anyway, use fill-up to fill-up.

I get 30mpg everywhere now. I can get 35mpg on a longer journey but I've not done any for a while (my journeys are almost always about 30-50 miles and 90% motorway).

15. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
    Sacriligeous!

Hybrids are awful, nasty nasty things that are not that good either!

My mother (who has been cast out of the family for this...) has bought a Toyota Prius. Not only is it very very ugly, its not as economical as many diesels, heavy, full of lead, horrendous to the environment to build and dispose of. A complete waste of money.

As for economy my CLK starts of at 15mpg when I start from cold but by the time I get to the bus stop (drop 1 child off), then the school (Another child) then in to the office, a trip of about 4 miles, the average is up to 24mpg! Very happy with that. On a longer run say 45-50 miles I average 32mpg which is great for a 3.2litre.

Edit: I find the computer to be very accurate. I used to keep a detailed spreadsheet showing every fill-up, cost, miles etc and the computer was almost spot on every time so I gave up using the spreadsheet.

16. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Yup appreciate that, but I suspect most people are quoting computer figures and fill-to-fill for me always includes some long motorway runs with no traffic, which aren't really relevant to this thread.

17. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    on my daily commute of around 4 miles each way through the city centre , the X5 3.0d averages between 15 and 17mpg.

18. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    :D Don't look, sit back, enjoy the music and appreciate just how lucky we are. ;)

I daren't ask what our figures are. :eek::eek:

John

19. GrahamC230K

GrahamC230K MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A3 & S4 quattro
    Comparativly, same journey in the Golf 1.9 TDI, average after a week, couldn't get below low 40's.

20. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    How far is your trip without the school run? Without getting on my soapbox don't you think that the kids should use their feet or other transport to get to school. Not only is it good for the environment, it's good for them as well.

Tags: