MPG on the daily commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Daily commute, I get around 40-43mpg, through the high street area which is always packed from 7am onwards. On a long run I get around 480 miles from a tank, which is brilliant.

Shude said:
The computers aren't amazingly accurate anyway, use fill-up to fill-up.

Not all of us have fuel comp's anyway ;) so fill up to fill up is what I have to do ;) And a tank for me is just commuting - 5 trips to leeds plus one to Harrogate = a tank :D

Fuel comps aren't spot on...my car's comp always says lower MPG than I'm actually getting. :|

Chippenham to Winchester - mostly M4 and A34, (about 70 miles), averaging about 46mpg (the trip computer says 51.5mpg).

For the previous 6 months I travelled daily from Chippenham to Bicester (about 62 miles) mostly A-class (slow) roads and a bit of the A34. Averaged 53mpg (trip computer said 58mpg).

Tyre consumption when predominantly on motorway is 25-30,000 miles. Last 6 months on A roads it was 18-22,000 miles.

Oil consumption after 100,000 miles, no oil required between services.

This is mine: 56 mpg

Attachments

• RE03ODR-5.jpg
    RE03ODR-5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
And this is mine when driving in the Netherlands: 4.9 l /100km

Attachments

• RE03ODR-6.jpg
    RE03ODR-6.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 91
Commuting I averag 24.5 MPG according to the computer and its 11.5 miles each way However I did actually have it read just over 40 once on a journey with cruise control set at 85

For the daily commuting, I get average 28-30mpg. For the longer trip >200miles I get between 34-35mpg. 98' W210 E240.

34 mile round trip. Half motorway half A roads.
At best 36mpg average at worst 32mpg.
If very light traffic going home I can get upto 38mpg.
Long trips 45mpg. Town plodding only I get 25-27mpg.
Lowest I've ever seen on the gauge is 24mpg.

My old Lexus GS300 never got above 21mpg (and often dipped to 17mpg) and it was considerably slower !

The Merc gets 44mpg on a run, but around 18-20mpg around town (this is London remember).

The new BMW gets 35mpg on a run, but around 20-23mpg around town. When I get the LPG conversion done, it'll do the equivalent of about 50mpg on a run and perhaps 30mpg around town. Cheap motoring ahoy!

(As an aside, daily commute for me depends on where I'm working; it could be 10 miles through London traffic, or it could be the trip down to Poole that I'm currently doing!).

-simon

In the SV12 on a daily commute round trip of 74 miles she averages around 19mpg which I think is amazing for a 2.25 tonne barge with a 7.3 litre V12 and the best part of 600bhp. The Lightning which is about the same weight and 380bhp averages 17mpg. I tend to use the Lightning most of the time as I find it a lot easier to chill out in. When I use the Brabus I become to tempted at some point in the journey to nail it.

graeme73s said:
In the SV12 on a daily commute round trip of 74 miles she averages around 19mpg which I think is amazing for a 2.25 tonne barge with a 7.3 litre V12 and the best part of 600bhp. The Lightning which is about the same weight and 380bhp averages 17mpg. I tend to use the Lightning most of the time as I find it a lot easier to chill out in. When I use the Brabus I become to tempted at some point in the journey to nail it.
In the nicest of ways I think that return is staggering. Well done.

John

Round trip of 160 miles done in various cars. All autos. All petrol. In order of economy:

02 Renault Clio 1.2 QS - 51 mpg
04 Honda Civic 1.6 - 47 mpg
06 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 - 41 mpg
06 Ford Focus 2.0 - 39 mpg
06 Ford Fiesta 1.6 - 38.5 mpg
05 Mercedes E240 - 34.5 mpg

This is an average of multiple trips in each vehicle. Same route, same driver, same driving style. The Focus, Astra, and E240 all used cruise control for part of the journey.

The Fiesta's result is not a mistake. I don't get the impression that Ford do very good autos. The Astra was much better than the Focus.

I had a Rover 75 2.0 V6 but never measured it accurately. It was probably about 34 mpg.

Last edited:
19mpg on a 20 mile round trip - half on a fast b road, half city driving.

I generally nail it on the b road if i can but its the city driving that hammers the economy, or lack of!

glojo said:
In the nicest of ways I think that return is staggering. Well done.

John
This is probably because the engine has been made more efficient to produce the extra power.
This is often the case with a properly tuned engine that has had mechanical modifications.

For example a free flow exhaust and manifold reduces back pressure so increases efficiency. Efficiency = mpg unless the additional power is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom