MPG quirk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
Same trip daily and I average say 32mpg but today this?

No change nothing?

Attachments

• image-232490401.jpg
    image-232490401.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 161
Warmer weather perhaps? Could be anything tbh there is more magic than science to the instrument cluster MPG readout.

Shude said:
Warmer weather perhaps? Could be anything tbh there is more magic than science to the instrument cluster MPG readout.

Colder and it was raining! I did think that but when we had our summer in early march... Mpg remained the same as before.

It's back to normal now... Must be that time of the month)

Colder and it was raining! I did think that but when we had our summer in early march... Mpg remained the same as before.

It's back to normal now... Must be that time of the month)
When it rains the traffic tends to be a bit slower but more "steady", I got the best MPG I've ever had out of my car during heavy rain.

A letter in this weeks Autocar is from someone who borrowed a BMW 320d for a motorway trip and achieved 66.5 mpg. He then repeated the test in the opposite direction driving at exactly the same speed and he recorded 46.5mpg. The difference was a strong(ish) tail-wind which became a head-wind for the second run.

111,924 miles - engine is just starting to get run in - hence improved mpg figures.

I have has an E250 Coupe Sport Auto for six months since new. Yesterday doing my usual 20 mile run to work the reading was 53.3mpg, this is the nearest I have had to the official figures since I got the car. Today on the same run, similar condtions and I got the usual 47-49mpg that I get every other day.

Also in Autocar was talk of how some DCT equipped cars (VAGs) are programmed to extend the gearchange point (wrt rpm) to facilitate DPF regeneration - something that could be done on any auto presumably, with consequences for the mpg.

Which leads to the question of whether manual cars are more prone to DPF clogging than autos, but the fact that an auto may be chosen for town use and a manual more likely for motorway use, probably renders the question moot.

My on-board, which I have not reset since starting to keep track on Fuelly, reads pessimistically. I.e. Fuelly tells me I get better mpg than the OBC will admit to.

This despite a remap, which I was told would cause the OBC to mis-read (under-read) mpg because of longer duration injector cycles than the OBC is pre-programmed to expect.

This seems to support what Shude says. Clearly you laid the chicken entrails out in a different orientation than usual this morning.

Hmmm, I do also note that my gear changes can affect my mpg quite considerably which is why i always do the throttle reset thing which might be a placebo but I always feel a difference after its been done.

Bellow said:
Also in Autocar was talk of how some DCT equipped cars (VAGs) are programmed to extend the gearchange point (wrt rpm) to facilitate DPF regeneration - something that could be done on any auto presumably, with consequences for the mpg.

Which leads to the question of whether manual cars are more prone to DPF clogging than autos, but the fact that an auto may be chosen for town use and a manual more likely for motorway use, probably renders the question moot.

I doubt a 211 e320cdi will have a DPF. DPFs didn't rear their ugly heads en mass until the 350 engine.

Looking the stats on the obc I suspect some town driving, maybe this run was quieter and more of a green light run.

Iirc, the 211 had a DPf as an option and very few were ticked...

corned said:
It's possible. Mine (very late I6 E320CDI) is to the later Euro spec, but with no DPF. However a DPF was on the option list even at that time iirc.

Why someone would actually pay extra for one of those infernal contraptions is way beyond me. :crazy:

There are stupid people out there.

Or maybe detailing obsessives who like clean gun pipes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom