Mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johns E350

Car
E class 350 coupe
Have had my E350 coupe 59 plate for a couple of weeks now only doing around town miles and it is returning 23 miles to the gallon on the computer is this what is to be expected or should I get the claimed 30+
I also buy my diesel from the supermarket outlets would I be better buying from BP or Esso is the branded fuel better
Is it worth buying ultimate diesel

Sounds about right. My c220 will return between 25-29mpg in town. Motorway is much better.

I fill up at shell by the way. Don't use supermarket as heard a few stories of contamination in fuel etc. not risking it!

Depends how you drive it around town I should think. I get better consumption than that from my C350 PETROL on short around town trips so I'd be disappointed with those figures from a diesel I must admit. I think that diesels only really give better figures on long motorway runs where I would only get 38-40mpg at average speeds around 70mph.

Ahhh, the great farcical situation of the European fuel consumption quoted figures.

What you are getting is about right for round town.

The quoted figures are all rubbish and should pretty much be ignored. This isn't Mercedes fault but the Eurocrats who came up with the test which is out of date and irrelevant.

Got to agree on both counts so won't be buying supermarket fuel from this day on, and claimed figures are just that pie in the sky

I'm getting average of 33mpg from my C350CDI (2010) thats with 60% city and 40% motorway driving. Worst I've seen is 23mpg in the winter, short 8-10 mile journeys. Best 45mpg between 60-70 mph. When I travel at continental type speeds, say 80-90mph, the mpg drops to about 37mpg, which I'm fine with. I'd rather get to my destination an hour or 2 earlier.

I use solely Shell Vpower diesel or one of the premium branded fuels otherwise, in an attempt to keep the dpf clear and lessen the need for dpf regens. Shell V power is a gas-to-liquid diesel made from natural gas which is supposed to burn a lot cleaner. I had so many problem with my previous car and blocked dpfs which cost me thousands to put right.

Last edited:
...I also buy my diesel from the supermarket outlets would I be better buying from BP or Esso is the branded fuel better
Is it worth buying ultimate diesel

Personally I don't think the brand makes much difference in itself, however you should consider fuel system cleaner especially if you travel mostly around town.

The Premium fuels ie Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate will have the detergents already added to the fuel, which is why I would recommend it. This is also what I use on both my Diesel and Petrol cars.

I use Premium fuels exclusively though to be honest a tankful here and there will probably suffice.

However this is a pricey solution, so you could make regular use of Redex, Forte, or Millers etc instead of buying Premium fuels, though if the car is new this may pose an issue in the event of a warranty claim because MB do not approve use of fuel additives (but they do approve use of Premium fuels).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm getting 32/33 from my C350 around town on 5ish mile trips and only had the baby a couple of weeks so still "driving briskly"
No thats not quite right i'm still giving her the beans from every traffic light and island I come to or at least leave:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Ahhh, the great farcical situation of the European fuel consumption quoted figures.

What you are getting is about right for round town.

The quoted figures are all rubbish and should pretty much be ignored. This isn't Mercedes fault but the Eurocrats who came up with the test which is out of date and irrelevant.

That's bit of well worn myth - vast majority of drivers easily BEAT the urban figure and generally match the average -or even beat that -some even come close to farcical Extra Urban mpg ( this is the one drivers always concentrate on and is the farcical one -it's a bit like the 130 mph speedometer Ford fitted to boggo 1.6 Sierras - it is quite obvious it will never do that

Urban mpg 31.7 mpg
>>>>Extra Urban mpg 50.4 mpg<<<<<
Average mpg 41.5 mpg

Last edited:
I really doubt many people actually achieve what the manufacturer says the car should get mpg. How do they classify urban driving? Around town with flowing, stop start or rush hour? I think we all live in different areas with different traffic situations so can be difficult to compare like for like.

I really doubt many people actually achieve what the manufacturer says the car should get mpg. How do they classify urban driving? Around town with flowing, stop start or rush hour? I think we all live in different areas with different traffic situations so can be difficult to compare like for like.

The test are done under lab conditions and follow a precise set of accelerations and de celebrations on a rolling road, so it can be repeated consistently with any car. The value therefore comes from a reliable comparison between cars, rather than an accurate reflection of what you will experience.

Here's more information on it - the graph shows the test visually (click to enlarge):

"Urban cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start where the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. The maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h). The average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km). The cycle is shown as Part One in the diagram below.

image.jpg

Extra-urban cycle
The extra-urban cycle is a cycle that is intended to represent the use of the vehicle on roads that are external to the urban environment. The cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving with the remainder being accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. The maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h). The average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.
"

Source: The fuel consumption testing scheme

Getting at least 40mpg round twin and over the manufacturers extra urban recently on a 100 mile commute to work.
90 mile motorway 10 mile urban trip. 65.7mpg e250 cab.
Well happy

Just added a pic. Had to take one as couldn't believe it myself.

Attachments

• image-1289869705.jpg
    image-1289869705.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 132
Just added a pic. Had to take one as couldn't believe it myself.

If that's a ratio of 9:1 motorway:urban as you described in your preceding post, then at an average speed of only 47mph I would hope you do get good consumption figures. At what sort of speed do you generally cruise along the motorway?

elbarry said:
Getting at least 40mpg round twin and over the manufacturers extra urban recently on a 100 mile commute to work. 90 mile motorway 10 mile urban trip. 65.7mpg e250 cab. Well happy

Remember your car is newer than mine is more fuel efficient being a 250 and you also pay less bloody road tax but I bet you do more miles in a couple of months than I do in a year so in reality you are putting more co2 in the air than I am but I am paying more don't seem right to me not having a go at you though

Was going to go for the 350 initially but glad I went for the 250 in the end. Economy Is big one for me and the 250 is on the button allround. 20k a year
Performance is great too. Engine not noisy at all. Again horses for courses...!
Bit of a remap gives 350 type horses too whilst retaining economy when soft on the pedal..!

M62 and m6. The best you will get is from 60 to 70ish..! due to morning and evening commute traffic.
Mixed weekend driving ain't to difficult to hit late 40s knocking on the door of 50.
Self entertaining driving still returns around 40.
There is no way I'll get the 65.7 again. Probably the worst journey ever, it was just to see what I could squeeze out of it, challenging the gov figures.

The 250 is not a lot difference performance wise I only wanted the 350 for the twin exhausts. A bit sad but true

I'm on the E350 too and I'm getting about low 30s mpg with a mixture of 50/50 (sub)urban.

I've been fuelling up the last 12yrs either from ASDA or ESSO but have never noticed any obvious difference in car performance. Maybe I'll try the premium diesel at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom