Mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barlos1973

Car
W207 e250 cdi coupe
Hi guys/gals

Not sure if this is the right section, but a quick question about 'claimed' MPG figures. I have a e250 cdi coupe auto (2009) with the 5 speed auto. Anyway the fuel figures were amazing on paper ( far better than my X type Jaguar Diesel). However after a couple of months now, I am kind of disappointed. The trip computer ( don't know how accurate they are!) says I am getting 26/27. Put it this way 40 quid of gas gets me around 220. I am sure my old Jag was better.

To be fair I have only been doing very small runs ( school, work only 2 miles etc). Not probably done a run longer than 20 miles. Plus I live in a very hilly part of Sheffield and those who have been here will know how crap the roads etc are. Just wondering what real life figures are you guys getting?

Diesels don't make a good fuel economy on short runs only long runs so don't be disappointed once you will do a longer motorway drive you will be ok))

Yes diesels are better on longer trips,it is not helped by the weird decision by MB to fit the 5 speed box to your car,ok the difference is small but your car will be doing 2000 revs at 75mph my S320 will be doing 2000 revs at 80 mph,my car doing short trips will do 30mpg on a long run not hanging around I get 36mpg,when you get a longer trip coming up fill the car up when the fuel nozzle clicks stop filling do the run fill up until it clicks and do the maths with the calculator the best way to check mileage.

I fill the tank to the brim an reset trip. Next fill up do the same and the maths it's the only way. As for how accurate are the merc fuel computers, it's the best I've had on any car, only .3 out. Some computers have been 2.8mpg out!!

Best I've had out of my e 280 on a run is 42, after getting g it remapped I have got a max of 46 and it also flys now if I choose to drive it hard :) when I go to the airport I use an executive travel company that had a new e250 and I noticed on our 2.5 hr motorway journey at 80mph he got 57mpg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been minehead and back 350 ish miles in my 320cdi sport saloon mapped and fully loaded with 2 kids the wife and a boot full of luggage! 70 to 80mph as you do to keep up and it got upto 48mpg but averaged 38.7mpg overall so iam happy with that.

I have a e350 (265) round town it does around low twentys especially as I turn the eco off which makes the engine cut out.
On my commute which is a 192 mile round trip it averages over 50 mpg if I don't get stuck in traffic, and stick to 70 using the cruise which isn't too far from the claimed MPG.
I believe petrol is probably the way to go if you don't drive far I would say your Merc is heavier than the Jag so the difference on short runs will be considerable.

Hi guys/gals

Not sure if this is the right section, but a quick question about 'claimed' MPG figures. I have a e250 cdi coupe auto (2009) with the 5 speed auto. Anyway the fuel figures were amazing on paper ( far better than my X type Jaguar Diesel). However after a couple of months now, I am kind of disappointed. The trip computer ( don't know how accurate they are!) says I am getting 26/27. Put it this way 40 quid of gas gets me around 220. I am sure my old Jag was better.

To be fair I have only been doing very small runs ( school, work only 2 miles etc). Not probably done a run longer than 20 miles. Plus I live in a very hilly part of Sheffield and those who have been here will know how crap the roads etc are. Just wondering what real life figures are you guys getting?

Fine . I'm driving E220 bluetec locally and get the bad result. I agree these kind of Diesel engines discovered on long journeys . For me £15 diesel gives 140 miles motorway trip.70mph average speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said its hugely dependant on driving style and conditions. I used to work locally and barely got 30mpg from my C220d but this was fast dual carriageway with roundabouts so lots of braking and then acceleration. I am now doing 150mile round trip and get 60-64 huge part being the variable limit on M25 keeping me at 50mph constant. You can only really compare the two cars over similar journeys

It is a description of words really!

Of course Diesels are better on a long run but so are Petrols.....

Diesels will be better than Petrols on a long run.

On a short run Petrols are worse than Diesels.

My C320cdi does no lower than 30mpg on short runs but my 1.8 petrol Zafira won`t do more than 30.1 on a long run!!!

I have an e350 Cdi coupe and agree the fuel consumption on the e class is poor when using for local driving. It's a lot to do the with the weight of the car, it's very heavy car and at which you pay for the privilege.

My previous 1 series coupe, returned around 380 miles on a full tank and on the Merc it's around 260 miles on a fuel tank. But with the Merc it's far superior in terms of comfort and luxury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom