Mr Sheen as a car polish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Wife has been washing her car and using mr sheen to give it a good shine and as its black you will know this is pretty hard to achieve and i have to say its looking pretty good, in fact its never looked so good:)

So for last 2 car washs i have done the same and not only does car look better, a couple of blokes at work commented on it, its also much easier to wash, brings all the black trim up a treat as well.

Anyone else use it, comments?

Lynall

I haven't used it, but would be interested to see the effect...

Any pics?

(Are you using the aerosol can Mr Sheen?)

Has often been used in the past by detailers as a last minute solution. Lots of silicones in it so it not only leaves a great shine but water beads very easily.

It fails on the durability test so fine as described above but not to be used a a long term solution.

I tried it many years ago (another one of my brainwaves)
I found it ok for a small area like a motorcycle fuel tank, but on a large areas like a car, there were areas that looked sloightly different - I always put it down to the silicone not giving even coverage.
I bet they've changed their formulation since then though.

Has often been used in the past by detailers as a last minute solution. Lots of silicones in it so it not only leaves a great shine but water beads very easily.

It fails on the durability test so fine as described above but not to be used a a long term solution.

That's odd, because Silicone spray is usually a painter's worst nightmare and is nigh-on impossible to get rid of.

Difficult to get good pics as its silver and even looks okay when dirty!

Very best bit is there are no white bits stuck in the stone chips etc especially on lisas black car.

Yes aerosol mr sheen the std can sold everywhere.

Quick few squirts on each panel wipe and polish with std mutton cloth done max time 10 minutes.

Lynall

Last edited:
I must admit I use it on my Snap On tool box and I have to say it brings it up like new. Also on car interiors if they are lightly scratched it is good for that as well.

What do you mean 'detail' my tool box, I said I polish it with Mr Sheen spray polish...:confused:

hi,
I am curious as to what would happen if the spray inadvertantly gets blown onto the car windscreen?

I used Mr Sheen for years on the interior of my w211 and also used it on the exterior chrome and the wheels until I discovered Swarfega red box hand wipes do a better job on the chrome. Never used it on painted bodywork tho'

I use Mr Sheen on the race bike all the time. It cuts through chain lube on the wheels really well and leaves everthing with a good shine.
Also use it on the helmets and it sometimes gets on the visor but just polishes out well and nobody complains of vision issues.
I have not tried it on the car windscreen though!
Of course in the motorcycle racing world it is know as a can of Barrie...;)

I don't doubt that it looks alright when used for something that it isn't designed for, but I can't quite understand why you'd want to :eek:

With due respect :) the formulation for Mr. Sheen is for indoor furniture, not for car bodywork. If it was a good, suitable product for shining/polishing/protecting painted car panels then we'd already be using identical/similar products sold by the valeting/detailing suppliers by now.

It's a bit like the peanut butter for plastic trim and fairy liquid for shampoo etc. Sure, they probably work to a degree but I can't see why you'd use those rather than proper trim dressing or car shampoo?! :doh:

I'd rather use an automotive spray wax or detailing spray for the bodywork, trim dressing rather than peanut butter and regular shampoo etc.

Maybe just me then? :D

Will

I've been using this stuff for ages..

Interflon Wax (Spray); Extremely long-lasting (spray) wax with Teflon®

The water repellent qualities are incredible, water beads and rolls of the bodywork incredibly easily. I use it on the bodywork, all the glass, plastic soft top windows and the alloys which it helps to keep free of brake dust and makes washing them alot easier and gives an excellent glossy shine all over.

One can lasted me a good year, that's using it once a month, it seems to go a long way. £12 a can for a year sounds good to me. You can use it round the house too, shower screens, telly, that sort of thing.

As an aside, Mr Sheen (original) has been known in hi-fi circles for a good few years now. What you do is softly wipe it onto your turntable belt (so you don't stretch it) and it helps traction, speed control, bass response midrange, makes the whole sound 'crisper'. Not sure how this works, but work it does.

I don't doubt that it looks alright when used for something that it isn't designed for, but I can't quite understand why you'd want to :eek:

With due respect :) the formulation for Mr. Sheen is for indoor furniture, not for car bodywork. If it was a good, suitable product for shining/polishing/protecting painted car panels then we'd already be using identical/similar products sold by the valeting/detailing suppliers by now.

It's a bit like the peanut butter for plastic trim and fairy liquid for shampoo etc. Sure, they probably work to a degree but I can't see why you'd use those rather than proper trim dressing or car shampoo?! :doh:

I'd rather use an automotive spray wax or detailing spray for the bodywork, trim dressing rather than peanut butter and regular shampoo etc.

Maybe just me then? :D

Will

I agree with all the above , although I have to admit I have used 'Mr Sheen' for the interior woodwork on my cars from time to time , my preferred product being 'Topps scratch-remover wood polish' followed by 'Lord Sheraton's Beeswax' .

Please DO NOT use washing up liquids such as 'Fairy Liquid' on your paintwork : it is formulated for washing dishes , contains salt and no doubt other nasties that will be unkind to your paintwork .

Wife has been washing her car and using mr sheen to give it a good shine and as its black you will know this is pretty hard to achieve and i have to say its looking pretty good, in fact its never looked so good:)

So for last 2 car washs i have done the same and not only does car look better, a couple of blokes at work commented on it, its also much easier to wash, brings all the black trim up a treat as well.

Anyone else use it, comments?

Lynall

Its not a good idea to use Mr Sheen coz of the silicone base content. There is beeswax included in the formula but in small volume. God forbid if your car needs to to the bodyshop for any reason, getting silicone off the painted surfaces will prove a nightmare as it adversely affects acrylic and water based paints.
You car may look good now but consider the long term effect it will have.
Hope this is useful

Never thought of using it on my toolbox, may give that a try when its quiet enough.
Got to be better than the peanut butter i am using at present:D

Lynall

Just found this thread .
My brother in law has used it on his mercs for years and swears by it, although outside of repelling the rain for a few days i cant see what the benefits are :confused:

Well, I'm going to give it a go at the weekend.

Can't be bothered to actually polish/wax the car. Will report back with my findings. Hopefully it won't make it rust faster lol

I used it all the time on my bikes,cars,helmet, visor, the lot- great shine,fast and no issues if I'd ever had to repair a bit of paintwork. I brought home a box of 12 cans of Sonax aerosol wax from Germany, and it's every bit the same as Mr Sheen... but doesn't smell as nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom