MS Outlook junk/spam filter woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Hi all.

Can anyone please help me?

I am running MS Outlook 2007, which is fully up to date, all periodical updates are implemented, including all ones for the junk filter.

My problem is that there are several junk email suppliers which the junk filter persistently fails to weed out. Each time I go through the same ritual - action > junk email > add sender to blocked list - but their emails still get through. I check each time that the sending ID is what is in the filter, and it invariably is.

How, and why, are they still getting through? And how can I stop them?

Infuriated,
Tunbridge Wells

One of two reasons:

1. Usually caused by electrical interference from GU10 lamps - swap 'em out for dimmable LEDs and the problem will be solved or

2. Probably making small changes to the actual senders address (rather than the senders address you can see) so bypassing your rules.

you can never block all junk email.

just get used to it.

Yup - junk email is not an exact science, which is why we still suffer from it.

I run our company email through a spam filter which I host, which strips out an awful lot of s**t, and then Outlook filters what's left.

It works very well but there are always exceptions - as said, you either just get used to it or spend a bit of cash and have your email run through an anti-spam service (or host your own).

Alternatively, if you're willing to pay for it Symantec.Cloud (formerly messagelabs) does some pretty impressive spam filtering...

A belated thanks to everyone who offered advice.

It was the GU10 lamps! Got rid of them and the problem went away. :)

Interestingly, with Outlook2007 you can't block an entire domain, which would have been the preferred option had it been there.

The upshot is that it is all continuing and it appears there is no way in which to get it all to stop. It is still most infuriating however, that the address details appear to match what's in the filters, but the filters still let the blighters through.

I would take it up with MS themselves, but I tried that in the past about an unrelated problem, and that was a great way to bang one's head against a brick wall, so I have no wish to repeat it.

Thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom