MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
With a few options now out in the market for turbo upgrades on the M157 5.5 biturbo engine, but not so many in the UK, Acid at MSL has taken the initiative to explore these options further, by actually doing them.

There are some proven examples already in the UK with Weistec turbo upgrades, including the amazing E63 owned by Alps (plus many additional associated upgrades) and previously with Daventy. More recently MSL completed another Weistec W3 Turbo upgrade on an ML and has plans for a complete W4 upgrade coming very soon (exciting stuff).

There are now also other manufacturers such as Pure Turbos and TTE offering similar turbo upgrade packages, and this is where I come in.

In a conversation with Acid many months ago he mentioned he’d been looking into these companies offerings as they’d contacted him also, and whether they were as good as they stated. There were a few cars that had been converted (Europe and US) with good results, so Acid got back in touch with them directly to explore in more detail upgrade options for customers like myself.

After doing a bit of research myself, plus some gentle persuasion from Acid, we agreed to go for the TTE900 upgrade.

So the car was dropped off last week and the work started. Part 1 will be to install the TTE900 turbos, but as you will see from the pictures the work isn’t straight forward, as the turbos use 6 of the 8 cylinders, as from research then when running over 800bhp the stock exhaust manifold is restricted, so by routing 2 away from the turbine housing the issue is alleviated and more boost can be made....we’ll see. With this in mind a fair bit of fabrication needed to be done to the new Downpipes, which as you can see in the pictures has been done. This is great work by Imran at Torqueflow.

Meth injection will also be added....

Acid and the team at MSL have been brilliant, with regular progress updates. Importantly as this is the first TTE conversion they want to get it right, as this will pave the way for future upgrades of this type to many customers.

I’ll keep you updated, but please see pics below of the progress so far;

Engine Out....
471B01DF-1095-4BCD-A918-F470C30A2899.jpeg
Turbos in place to allow measurement for downpipes modification and fitting.....
C45A92E3-EECD-4A73-B18F-3885A3534961.jpeg
Downpipes adapted to accommodate cylinder 4 sole outlet, which also required single branch manifold plate manufacturing. Measuring done to ascertain accurate fabrication, then temporarily welded before more fitment checks and final welding in place.

9D4AC76E-142E-425A-A5DF-E1F9212F9AC3.jpeg AEA2FB54-C25D-4BB5-B455-E3BEF1D75AF5.jpeg
9EAB306D-9DB2-43ED-9BDB-315F8C17B104.jpeg
6B57074D-0CAF-40A3-986E-5E5E43BE2FEB.jpeg
AC32EFBC-5C94-4A51-84EA-4762394DC070.jpeg 511F7E9A-12F6-478C-ABF4-C7A664C92CC0.jpeg
Position and fitment completed, so next up the welding was completed and it’s ready to fit back onto the engine.....
B9EDC236-FC6F-463C-8488-48FA93BF4F2C.jpeg

Last edited:
First Alex and now you Jules; people don’t want to hear about these amazing feats of engineering on the forum, they want to know why their 4matic steering crabs at full lock...

Joking aside, I love threads like this showing what can and is done to these great engines and I wish you the best of luck with it pal and hope it doesn’t hurt the wallet as much as I think it will!

First Alex and now you Jules; people don’t want to hear about these amazing feats of engineering on the forum, they want to know why their 4matic steering crabs at full lock...

Joking aside, I love threads like this showing what can and is done to these great engines and I wish you the best of luck with it pal and hope it doesn’t hurt the wallet as much as I think it will!

Cheers....

Totally get what you mean about the crabbing threads :D, but I am hopeful there is still room for a few spanner threads as well lol

Looking good Jules,

I must admit to being intrigued by your initial "teaser" thread on these pipes though it now becomes a bit clearer with these turbos not using all the ports.

Looking forward to updates and figures. :)

Apparently mine does this Lee, so I try to avoid full lock. :)

Looking good Jules,

I must admit to being intrigued by your initial "teaser" thread on these pipes though it now becomes a bit clearer with these turbos not using all the ports.

Looking forward to updates and figures. :)
Thanks Dave, yes a slightly different approach with these turbos and I am also interested (excited) to see the results.

Apparently mine does this Lee, so I try to avoid full lock. :)
:D

Always amazed when reading about what can be done to get more power out of these engines even if my car makes do with a lowly v6 diesel. Was amused to see that the next thread down was about metal tyre dust caps!

The TTE setups are popular with the VAG boys and girls. They seem to have gained popularity over the last few years, for big turbo upgrades.

Looking good :thumb:

Fascinating. God I love these experimental threads.....cant wait for more. Its like a good book I just cant put down!

looking good Jules, be good to see what it achieves! glad to see your still modding away too :)

Looks crap TBH.

Am not jealous at all of your modding venture. Am sure it will go as good as the works looks which has gone into it, and it looks very very good :)

Wow... its going to be a real handful once your done. Looking forward to the end result and good luck with it mate..

The TTE setups are popular with the VAG boys and girls. They seem to have gained popularity over the last few years, for big turbo upgrades.

Looking good :thumb:

And yeh can vouch for TTE. Brilliant turbos. Have used them myself on my b5 rs4

Cyclone when you pick it up from MSL and en route back to Notts I’ll meet you somewhere and you can take me for a spin. I only work half an hour from MSL
I’d love to know what it’s like.

Cyclone when you pick it up from MSL and en route back to Notts I’ll meet you somewhere and you can take me for a spin. I only work half an hour from MSL
I’d love to know what it’s like.
Hopefully mapped today, so will let you know if I have time to meet up on the day I collect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom