MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And there is more to come? Wow. I guess traction now just goes out the window. All using the same gearbox?

And there is more to come? Wow. I guess traction now just goes out the window. All using the same gearbox?

John’s done a brilliant job of capping the torque to below 900lb/ft, so in that respect very similar to a mapped only car. This protects the gearbox to a degree.

John’s done a brilliant job of capping the torque to below 900lb/ft, so in that respect very similar to a mapped only car. This protects the gearbox to a degree.
Only 1220Nm!! Very impressive

Only 1220Nm!! Very impressive
The reality is that the torque could be well over 1000lb/ft without very good mapping. But given the car is rear wheel drive and that the gearbox can’t take it, then it's not worth going for “pub” numbers. The torque curve has been created to be progressive instead of the standard and remapped curves which hit high numbers very low down (my peak torque is 2k rpm higher than standard or remapped). My current map should allow the car to still launch well and eliminate harsh gear changes. In effect it drives normally at part throttle around town, but flies when pressing on or full throttle.

Wowsers, that's an excellent result! More to come or is that the final figure?
Maybe more to come and then meth for cooling and possibly a touch more. The capability is there for more, but to be honest the current figures are what we targeted and have been achieved. All this at very low boost, so minimal strain on the Turbos abs less than expected on the engine internals.

We aren’t running meth yet........but very happy with 906bhp (918PS)

Awesome Jules! 906bhp & capped 900lbs got to be chuffed to bits with that. Obviously a completely different car to the last one. How are the Temps with Meth to help with that?

The reality is that the torque could be well over 1000lb/ft without very good mapping. But given the car is rear wheel drive and that the gearbox can’t take it, then it's not worth going for “pub” numbers. The torque curve has been created to be progressive instead of the standard and remapped curves which hit high numbers very low down (my peak torque is 2k rpm higher than standard or remapped). My current map should allow the car to still launch well and eliminate harsh gear changes. In effect it drives normally at part throttle around town, but flies when pressing on or full throttle.

That sounds really good - huge torque low down isn't what you need in a 2WD car at these sorts of levels. It must feel like being lanched by an enourmous catapault!.

It's a very interesting turbo setup - I wonder how many CFM these turbos are flowing at your boost level vs. stock and what sort of charge temps you are getting. Does it feel at all laggy? I must admit I was a bit sceptical about the manifold setup and the loss of energy to the turbine, but you can't argue with those results!. Qudos!

That sounds really good - huge torque low down isn't what you need in a 2WD car at these sorts of levels. It must feel like being lanched by an enourmous catapault!.

It's a very interesting turbo setup - I wonder how many CFM these turbos are flowing at your boost level vs. stock and what sort of charge temps you are getting. Does it feel at all laggy? I must admit I was a bit sceptical about the manifold setup and the loss of energy to the turbine, but you can't argue with those results!. Qudos!

Will share more details / parameters / numbers once it’s all done, but IAT’s as an example are by all accounts low.

Not driven it since the latest revision, but doesn’t feel laggy.

If you’re running these turbos nowhere near maximum boost etc, it makes me think MB missed a trick. They could have used similar on the stock car & blown everything in sight away!

I too am looking forward to seeing the final results [emoji106][emoji106]

If you’re running these turbos nowhere near maximum boost etc, it makes me think MB missed a trick. They could have used similar on the stock car & blown everything in sight away!

I too am looking forward to seeing the final results [emoji106][emoji106]
Hopefully more updates this week.....

Last edited:
Unfortunately due to the recent weather and a couple of parts not arriving on time we were unable to get the meth kit fitted. Therefore I will have to make do with only 906bhp and 904lb/ft for now haha!!! Acid and the team at MSL / Torqueflow have been brilliant, he is so impressed with the results and justified his faith in advising on this route and set up - it’s always a bit of an unknown when trying something new, but so far so good.

On a serious note the car drives fantastically well. The map is absolutely spot on from a fueling perspective, with the controlled torque meaning I can drive the car better than when it was previously running the remap. What I mean by this is that the sudden mega surge of well over 900lb/ft at 2-2.5k rpm is now replaced by a more progressive curve that hold for nearly 2k rpm longer.........traction is therefore better!! Plus I get the added bonus of the extra 150-200bhp further up the Rev range with the tyres already gripping.....it’s all about the tuning....

Remember the turbos are ONLY running 1.1bar max boost (16psi) which is incredible and down to some excellent tuning from John@BFT.

Will update again once we get a slot to get the meth fitted and then retuned.

Jules.

Unfortunately due to the recent weather and a couple of parts not arriving on time we were unable to get the meth kit fitted. Therefore I will have to make do with only 906bhp and 904lb/ft for now haha!!! Acid and the team at MSL / Torqueflow have been brilliant, he is so impressed with the results and justified his faith in advising on this route and set up - it’s always a bit of an unknown when trying something new, but so far so good.

On a serious note the car drives fantastically well. The map is absolutely spot on from a fueling perspective, with the controlled torque meaning I can drive the car better than when it was previously running the remap. What I mean by this is that the sudden mega surge of well over 900lb/ft at 2-2.5k rpm is now replaced by a more progressive curve that hold for nearly 2k rpm longer.........traction is therefore better!! Plus I get the added bonus of the extra 150-200bhp further up the Rev range with the tyres already gripping.....it’s all about the tuning....

Remember the turbos are ONLY running 1.1bar max boost (16psi) which is incredible and down to some excellent tuning from John@BFT.

Will update again once we get a slot to get the meth fitted and then retuned.

Jules.

Only 906bhp and 904lb/ft torque???

And to think that my 550bhp and 515lb/ft is too much for me to handle...

Kudos to MSL and BFT!!!!

Jules what are the cooling challenges with this set up? I assumed that the Meth Kit was to help with cooling.

Jules what are the cooling challenges with this set up? I assumed that the Meth Kit was to help with cooling.
Surprisingly no major cooling issues. I think that if it was mapped to run at 1.7bar (like a few conversions that are running big low down torque) then it would generate a lot more heat and hence cooling would be a big issue, of which the meth would help. However, with my set up I have very strong power and torque high up the Rev range, but whilst the IAT’s look good I’d rather have meth fitted as it will aid it especially as I intend to attend the odd VMax event, for everyday driving it’s fine. Adding meth will add more power, which to be honest it doesn’t need so will just be pub numbers, however what it will do is allow us to run the same current power and torque figures but with adjusted fueling / timing to compensate positively, so even safer than now. So given it’s already superb and safe set up then that can only be a good thing.

Surprisingly no major cooling issues. I think that if it was mapped to run at 1.7bar (like a few conversions that are running big low down torque) then it would generate a lot more heat and hence cooling would be a big issue, of which the meth would help. However, with my set up I have very strong power and torque high up the Rev range, but whilst the IAT’s look good I’d rather have meth fitted as it will aid it especially as I intend to attend the odd VMax event, for everyday driving it’s fine. Adding meth will add more power, which to be honest it doesn’t need so will just be pub numbers, however what it will do is allow us to run the same current power and torque figures but with adjusted fueling / timing to compensate positively, so even safer than now. So given it’s already superb and safe set up then that can only be a good thing.

All going very well then, top work from Acid, John & all involved. Sounds like your car and this project, are a great template for future 5.5's.

All going very well then, top work from Acid, John & all involved. Sounds like your car and this project, are a great template for future 5.5's.
Exactly and until you try you just never know. A lot of thought went on not the mechanical set up and also the tuning. It’s only because of this we see the results we do. Main aim was to achieve the power in a safe manner giving consideration to the many wear parts such as the gearbox, drivetrain and engine internals.

Good to see someone taking the plunge and being a trend setter. Water meth will help will boost the fuel octane and preven t knock so it's a win win

Soon your signature will be longer than most of your posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom