MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just read through this - loving the work Cyclone! Install is super-clean, the guys who did it have got some great skills, and an OEM-looking car running 900+ bhp, mapped for useability and longevity, is top-quality modifying to my mind.

It will be interesting to see the comparison from your first Map.

It will be interesting to see the comparison from your first Map.
Initial runs with the meth show it adds good value, so we can now tweak the map to take advantage. Will post results / graph once done as it will complete the upgrade.

Jules

The Impact of Methanol Injection

2A31B769-DED1-46C2-8205-9FBBC0FE09CB.jpeg

Final mapping is now completed. The impact the methanol injection has had is clear to see. It has allowed the map to be adjusted significantly, resulting in more torque & power throughout most of the Rev range, but not higher up as this was restricted to protect the engine / gearbox, but it's clear to see what the pub figures could be.

Importantly the meth has allowed for a much better map without increasing the boost levels which are still sat an incredible 16psi (1.1bar). The data logs for the car show all parameters to be very good indeed, so no limits being pushed.

So in summary, the turbos are not being worked too hard, because of this the heat being generated internally within the engine is not at all high. The meth is adding massive value - so from where we were previously we have more power and torque through the rev range, with the same boost and safer, smoother map!

The power and torque curve shapes have been kept the same as previously, this is purely to assist delivery of the power through the rear wheels. With the latest map there is circa 60-100/ft of torque extra at most points below 5k and it’s noticeable, especially when accelerating hard from low speed. However, it is much better than having 800-900lb/ft at 2500rpm as the wheels would just spin and it would eventually kill the gearbox. For me the above type of map for power delivery is key to make use of it on the road. Headline numbers are 912bhp and 970lb/ft........

Big thanks to Acid and the team at MSL Performance, Imran at Torqueflow, John at Big Fish Tuning and Cooling Mist.

Now off to VMax200 to see what it will do.......

Very impressive outcome - congratulations. That's a great outcome for all of that work. I'm impressed about how much extra the heat removal of the meth has allowed for extra advance. I wish you could overlay a boost curve.

I wonder what the injector duty cycles are like at that power level?. I'm also impressed it's being achieved on stock internals. After watching a lot of the Greek guy's videos on YouTube, I had stated to form a view that the rods weren't up to it, but your attention to shaping of the boost curve and heat removal looks like it's doing the job!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jules,
Have you thought of adding a " killa chiller" to further control heat.
The only pain with the water meth is having to keep filling the tank lol.

Very impressive outcome - congratulations. That's a great outcome for all of that work. I'm impressed about how much extra the heat removal of the meth has allowed for extra advance. I wish you could overlay a boost curve.

I wonder what the injector duty cycles are like at that power level?. I'm also impressed it's being achieved on stock internals. After watching a lot of the Greek guy's videos on YouTube, I had stated to form a view that the rods weren't up to it, but your attention to shaping of the boost curve and heat removal looks like it's doing the job!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Yes it makes a big difference which you can see in the data logs as well as in the graphs.

Too many of the other upgrades M157’s have massive low down torque, so run higher boost. Good for big numbers but generates so much additional heat and makes the car undriveable over half throttle.

Jules,
Have you thought of adding a " killa chiller" to further control heat.
The only pain with the water meth is having to keep filling the tank lol.
Not needed at the moment, but yes it’s an alternative to the meth without the octane bonus.

The Impact of Methanol Injection

View attachment 77734

Final mapping is now completed. The impact the methanol injection has had is clear to see. It has allowed the map to be adjusted significantly, resulting in more torque & power throughout most of the Rev range, but not higher up as this was restricted to protect the engine / gearbox, but it's clear to see what the pub figures could be.

Importantly the meth has allowed for a much better map without increasing the boost levels which are still sat an incredible 16psi (1.1bar). The data logs for the car show all parameters to be very good indeed, so no limits being pushed.

So in summary, the turbos are not being worked too hard, because of this the heat being generated internally within the engine is not at all high. The meth is adding massive value - so from where we were previously we have more power and torque through the rev range, with the same boost and safer, smoother map!

The power and torque curve shapes have been kept the same as previously, this is purely to assist delivery of the power through the rear wheels. With the latest map there is circa 60-100/ft of torque extra at most points below 5k and it’s noticeable, especially when accelerating hard from low speed. However, it is much better than having 800-900lb/ft at 2500rpm as the wheels would just spin and it would eventually kill the gearbox. For me the above type of map for power delivery is key to make use of it on the road. Headline numbers are 912bhp and 970lb/ft........

Big thanks to Acid and the team at MSL Performance, Imran at Torqueflow, John at Big Fish Tuning and Cooling Mist.

Now off to VMax200 to see what it will do.......
Great conversion, and great thread - I’ve just re-read it from start to finish!

Now we’re a few months further along the line, how are things with the conversion? Any further developments?

How was your VMax200 outing ?

Great conversion, and great thread - I’ve just re-read it from start to finish!

Now we’re a few months further along the line, how are things with the conversion? Any further developments?
Thank you.

It’s been around 5 months since the conversion and around 10k miles. The car has been brilliant, which is testament to the brilliant work done by Acid and the team at MSL and Torqueflow. Easy to drive normally and when required it goes into mental mode.

It’s had an interim oil change and will be having another oil change, along with gearbox oil and plugs in the next few weeks.

The most frustrating aspect has been the methanol kit. Up until the last 4 weeks it’s not really been consistent, occasionally going into safe mode due to minor issues which can be difficult to trace. This was a major issue at VMax200 and very frustrating. The guy who distributes the kit has been very helpful and I now feel like an expert on how they work lol. I’ve changed a few parts on the system and it now appears to be working well. I could delve into the realms of trying different nozzle sizes to see if my current set up is optimal, but I think it is given the results we’ve seen in the dyno and the flexibility it’s allowed for the current map from John at BFT. The kit has a failsafe system so no risk if it stops working, but also the map is not totally dependent upon meth, albeit I wouldn’t go mad if it’s not working. Given the high power of the car then for me the Meth stays, as it’s doing an important job.

I’ve fitted slightly larger rear tyres - 295/30/19 and installed new pads front and rear just before VMax200.

The car is now mechanically perfect as is so I don’t see any need to do anything else. It’s there now to be enjoyed.

I have been toying with wrapping it, but it would have to be subtle.

Jules

Plenty left then. Try a tail wind and you’ll get 250mph. o_O

Just sent that picture to my mate on WhatsApp told him look I managed to hit 200 in my cls63 on the M6 toll he’s replied saying I’m an absolute legend. :D:D

Just sent that picture to my mate on WhatsApp told him look I managed to hit 200 in my cls63 on the M6 toll he’s replied saying I’m an absolute legend. :D:D
:D:D:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom