MSL Performance GLA 45 Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this the same MSL that works with Torqueflow? (I made their website)

Acid did you take it to POD?

When we got there it was FULL ! so I went back Home ! What s ****e Day!

hi acid nice results on the GLA .... just about to pull the trigger on one and will be looking to visit you to give an extra hand...... how you finding the car on its current setup .... any view on altering the suspension side?

hi acid nice results on the GLA .... just about to pull the trigger on one and will be looking to visit you to give an extra hand...... how you finding the car on its current setup .... any view on altering the suspension side?

Car is Spot on. We have lowered the GLA with H&R springs and now feels alot better when driving. If you want to pop down to have a look let me know

Thanks

Acid

Its looking great and I prefer the look of this version to the normal hatch.

I guess the warranty is down the pan now lol.

Nice car Acid, looks great, nothing like the regular GLA, which is a bit of a minger.

Mrhanky said:
I guess the warranty is down the pan now lol.

Not at all, why?

No MB warranty on the modified parts of course.

But the MB warranty on the rest of the car would be fine, they might refuse to pay for obviously associated failed suspension components, but thats about it.

Dealers like warranty work, it makes them a lot of money from MBUK,. They won't jeopardies anything if they can help it, i.e. they'll keep shtum about mods of they can.

Car is Spot on. We have lowered the GLA with H&R springs and now feels alot better when driving. If you want to pop down to have a look let me know

Thanks

Acid

will be in touch thanks for the offer.... looking at the IPE exhaust for starters with a stage 1 tune. then the weistec down pipe and heat shield.... that's the warranty gone...

Low speed lag

Hello Acid. In your experience tuning this GLA45, what do you think is causing the lag at low RPMs? It's hard for me to imagine a dual scroll with such ridiculous boost gives much lag. I'm wondering if it's either poor transmission design, or a safety 'feature' that waits a moment to be sure the driver really meant to mash the gas. I'm looking to swap the '08 R32 (fantastic DSG) for a GLA45... But if there's no way around this lag, I'm not sure I could stand it. Thanks for your input!

Look at the graphs when we map these you certainly dial out a lot of the lag. If you look at earlier rpm the torque difference is huge.

3 ECU's tuned yesterday on these :)

You can't effectively "prove" reduced lag by a torque curve overlay. All you're comparing there is torque provided at any given rpm.

Show the boost ramp to say 1bar, before and after. That will show you whether or not spool time (lag) is being reduced, at any given rpm point.

Hello Acid. In your experience tuning this GLA45, what do you think is causing the lag at low RPMs? It's hard for me to imagine a dual scroll with such ridiculous boost gives much lag. I'm wondering if it's either poor transmission design, or a safety 'feature' that waits a moment to be sure the driver really meant to mash the gas. I'm looking to swap the '08 R32 (fantastic DSG) for a GLA45... But if there's no way around this lag, I'm not sure I could stand it. Thanks for your input!

Believe me.... the response and spool rate of the OEM turbo, combined with the rest of the set-up is extremely minimal, especially when you consider the output that this provides on a 2ltr.

Don't confuse torque limiters and other map "features" (that can be altered via access to the ECU), with actual turbo "lag".

OEM ECU "features" aside.... the A45 set-up is one of the most efficient FI setups I have encountered (for a 2ltr), especially with the power that is available.

AMG really have a done a good job.

Thank you BFT and Shaunee. Funny, I was just typing up how the dyno shows killer power, but doesn’t really help to address the lag (from a stop or low speed when you poke the accelerator). And Shaunee, you hit my point exactly... If this is an ECU ‘feature’ (like you’d think it is), I’m surprised drivers of remapped ECUs are also commenting on the oddly long hesitation during a sport-mode full power start (launch aside). The remap should be pulling all artificial (safety) delay out of the system. I get it that the 3.2L non-turbo 6-cyl of an R32 has an easier time developing torque rapidly at low RPM’s. But since the GLA is a touch lighter, and packing 100 extra HP, I want it to feel at least as responsive when I get on it from below the power-band. Thanks for chewing on this with me!

Last edited:
Schwarts11, it seems you are not 100% on how these things work.

A FI motor can never ever have the response of a larger NA motor from low rpm. They can make it pretty good, but boot it low down and no turbo engine will ever feel like an R32, it's just not possible, you have to drive it differently.

An NA motor will respond from the next induction & firing stroke after the throttle opens, whereas a turbo motor will have to wait until the gas flow increases and he turbo spools etc. A smaller FI motor exagerates it.

No1 rule on a turbo motor is use the gearbox, drop it before you clog it!

I'm in 5.5TT and low down its still a case of wait and see from low rpm...

Thank you doughboy. I had hoped this fast winding twin scroll with boost over 20 would kick the fuel hard (and fast) enough that the fuel delivery lag would be nearly imperceptible. But perhaps you're right and I'm just being unrealistic. I’ll race you in that fine 5.5TT (as long as the track is 1 meter long).

You can't effectively "prove" reduced lag by a torque curve overlay. All you're comparing there is torque provided at any given rpm.

Show the boost ramp to say 1bar, before and after. That will show you whether or not spool time (lag) is being reduced, at any given rpm point.

Right but by showing that torque is available sooner than stock, shows the car is more responsive. Simply by raising boost level isn't going to give the car more response lower down the rpm range within the ecu. Other limiters will kick in and reduce this.

Naturally a 2 Litre as you say can only flow so much air, even if you request more boost at the lower end of the rpm doesn't mean you will get it.

However let's not confuse an ECU calibration with tuning boxes. Tuning boxes can bend the rules but never override anything completely like a calibration.

Most modern turbo cars have this lag no matter what you drive. Boost is reigned in and torque is heavily reduced by all manufacturers.

I'm in 5.5TT and low down its still a case of wait and see from low rpm...

Try opening those restricted downpipes up Mike and, as stated above by BFT, "adjusting" the ECU a bit (Weistec did mine). :D

Hell of a difference I promise you. The power delivery is pretty much instant now, and from a lot lower down the rev range than before. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom