Muhammad Ali

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
This morning I wake up to hear about the death of Muhammad Ali. One of my boyhood, and later, my adult heroes. I recall getting up in 1964 at 3 a.m. to listen to his fight against Sonny Liston and followed him ever since.
The greatest fighter ever and a man of true principles - always worth listening to.

From Wikipedia
"Muhammad Ali (/ɑːˈliː/;[2] born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., January 17, 1942 – June 3, 2016)[3] was an American professional boxer, generally considered among the greatest heavyweights in the history of the sport. Early in his career, Ali was known for being a controversial and polarizing figure both inside and outside the boxing ring.[4][5] He was one of the most recognized sports figures of the past 100 years, crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC.[6][7] He also wrote several best-selling books about his career, including The Greatest: My Own Story and The Soul of a Butterfly.

Ali, originally known as Cassius Clay, began training at 12 years old and at the age of 22 won the world heavyweight championship in 1964 from Sonny Liston in a stunning upset. Shortly after that bout, Ali joined the Nation of Islam and changed his name. He converted to Sunni Islam in 1975, and 30 years later began adhering to Sufism.

In 1967, three years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali refused to be conscripted into the U.S. military, citing his religious beliefs and opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War. He was eventually arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges and stripped of his boxing title. He did not fight again for nearly four years—losing a time of peak performance in an athlete's career. Ali's appeal worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court where, in 1971, his conviction was overturned. Ali's actions as a conscientious objector to the war made him an icon for the larger counterculture generation.[8][9]

Ali remains the only three-time lineal world heavyweight champion; he won the title in 1964, 1974, and 1978. Between February 25, 1964 and September 19, 1964 Muhammad Ali reigned as the undisputed heavyweight boxing champion.

Nicknamed "The Greatest", Ali was involved in several historic boxing matches.[10] Notable among these were the first Liston fight, three with rival Joe Frazier, and one with George Foreman, in which he regained titles he had been stripped of seven years earlier.

At a time when most fighters let their managers do the talking, Ali, inspired by professional wrestler "Gorgeous" George Wagner, thrived in—and indeed craved—the spotlight, where he was often provocative and outlandish.He controlled most press conferences and interviews, and spoke freely about issues unrelated to boxing.[14][15] Ali transformed the role and image of the African American athlete in America by his embrace of racial pride and his willingness to antagonize the white establishment in doing so.[16][17][18] In the words of writer Joyce Carol Oates, he was one of the few athletes in any sport to "define the terms of his public reputation".

RIP Ali. The greatest.

A sad day!! Heaven just got one heck of an angel!!

'' A man at 50 who thinks as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life''.

Thank you MA.

Known by all and disliked by few, he never seemed to have any scandal surrounding him like so many others in his position. Great boxer and entertainer . RIP

For children of the 21rst century its difficult to place his actions out of the ring in context.
BBC - Higher Bitesize History - Post-war race relations : Revision
Black people were still very much second class citizens in the US especially in the South back then.
One of the greatest fighters of all time the supreme irony is that the many years in the ring eventually caught up with him in the form of PARKINSONS disease undoubtedly the effect of accumulative brain damage.

For children of the 21rst century its difficult to place his actions out of the ring in context.
BBC - Higher Bitesize History - Post-war race relations : Revision
Black people were still very much second class citizens in the US especially in the South back then.
One of the greatest fighters of all time the supreme irony is that the many years in the ring eventually caught up with him in the form of PARKINSONS disease undoubtedly the effect of accumulative brain damage.

What a year 2016 is turning out to be, he was a class act on so many fronts and as Grober said what a social context he lived through and contributed to.

Float like a butterfly
Sting like a bee
Rest in Peace
Muhammad Ali

(stolen from elsewhere)

I was lucky to have seen Ali do 8 exhibition rounds at The Royal Albert Hall October 1971, he was a real showman and a fantastic boxer, RIP Ali

RIP - Will always be a legend

What a shame to read the passing of a great sportsman, showman, and all round good guy.

RIP.

What a great guy , all the good ones seem to be going this year

An absolute legend.

Ali said 'I am the greatest'

And yes you were!

God bless your soul Muhammad Ali

Something that a frind posted about this great man today:
When folk post constant, churned out, anti Muslim propaganda bull**** on a daily basis, I find it a bit confusing that they pay tribute to one of the greatest Muslim figures of all time. Tell me how that goes again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom