Multidisplay dash stopped working - 2014 CLA 220D - Help pls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DazMB

Car
CLA 220D 2014
Hi all,

I jumped in my car yesterday and the multidisplay which has the speed im going and in what gear and what drive mode showing has stopped fully working - I can just about read the figure im going if i look very closely so the function still 'works' but its barely lit at up all so impossible to read driving. (I assume the figure changes when moving but i dont know i can't read it while driving).

I had hoped it was maybe to do with the weather being very hot yesterday and it just turning itself off to not over heat but unfortunately it's still not working today either.

Does anyone have any advise on what the issue could be and how to fix it?

Thanks IMG_2863.jpg

Your car has a light sensor. If it is blocked, or faulty, the car thinks it's night time and reduces the LCD intensity.

Check if the LCD display looks normal when driving at night. If it does, than this is your problem.

you weren't wearing sunglasses were you

don't laugh, a mate had this problem...which wasn't a problem...

you weren't wearing sunglasses were you

don't laugh, a mate had this problem...which wasn't a problem...

I find that when I am wearing polarised sun glasses, on some cars the LCD display almost vanishes.

I do not experience this on the W204, neither on the COMAND screen nor on the instrumental cluster LCD display, so I am assuming they are made of high-quality LCD panels (though I have to confess that I do not fully understand the physics/optics behind it).

Your car has a light sensor. If it is blocked, or faulty, the car thinks it's night time and reduces the LCD intensity.

Check if the LCD display looks normal when driving at night. If it does, than this is your problem.
this is a good point thank you I'll take a look in the evening!

Hello! I've been meaning to come back to this.

Turns out you were right! it works perfectly fine at night time. I went to a local garage and they believe it may be the dimness switch that is faulty as it overrides this during night time. but you are also right it could be if i have a light sensor thats faulty. I'll do a google search to try and find any light sensor on a cla 2014 220d.

I've had a thought. Perhaps if I go turn the car on again in the day time and if the head lights turn on then that would confirm the car thinks its nighttime and the day light sensor is broken? whereas if the head lights dont turn on then it means its a problem with the dimness switch?

would I be correct in thinking that? or do headlights run off a difference sensor to the display ?

thanks

Hello! I've been meaning to come back to this.

Turns out you were right! it works perfectly fine at night time. I went to a local garage and they believe it may be the dimness switch that is faulty as it overrides this during night time. but you are also right it could be if i have a light sensor thats faulty. I'll do a google search to try and find any light sensor on a cla 2014 220d.

Have you tried winding the Dimness Switch Up? :rolleyes:

I've had a thought. Perhaps if I go turn the car on again in the day time and if the head lights turn on then that would confirm the car thinks its nighttime and the day light sensor is broken? whereas if the head lights dont turn on then it means its a problem with the dimness switch?

would I be correct in thinking that? or do headlights run off a difference sensor to the display ?

thanks

Yes, but if the headlamps do not come on, then it is still possible that there's a separate light sensor for the headlamps and a separate one for the instrument cluster.... I don't know if this is indeed the case, just wanting to make sure all possibilities are covered.

Yes, but if the headlamps do not come on, then it is still possible that there's a separate light sensor for the headlamps and a separate one for the instrument cluster.... I don't know if this is indeed the case, just wanting to make sure all possibilities are covered.
Ah.. well that’s annoying.
I have no clue about electrics on cars or mechanics in general..

Not really sure what to do next I guess I need to find someone to look at the sensor and if that’s not it then change the dimness switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom