Multifunction display fading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo

Car
C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
Yesterday, I noticed that patches of the multifunction dashboard display were fading after the car was standing in the sun yesterday.

Has anyone got any ideas what kind of cost I am looking at for a replacement display? how many hours would the stealer need to do this?

Cheers

Robbo said:
Yesterday, I noticed that patches of the multifunction dashboard display were fading after the car was standing in the sun yesterday.

Has anyone got any ideas what kind of cost I am looking at for a replacement display? how many hours would the stealer need to do this?

Cheers

You can swap out the part with one that is used from eBay .... about $50 euro. Will need about 30min labour to STAR code the mileage on the new setup.

miro said:
You can swap out the part with one that is used from eBay .... about $50 euro. Will need about 30min labour to STAR code the mileage on the new setup.

will MB dealers adjust the milage tho to a second hand cluster? i thought they could only do it before the 1st 200km

To be honest I dont know. There is so much urban myth around what a Mercedes can do .... and what can be done to it.

In any event the display itself can be dismantled and maybe then you can see if it pops out or if it is firmly embedded.

Anyone with professional tools can do a chip swap ......

perhaps many ways ..... none of them simple.

Are you sure it was not just because of the unusual heat?

Most LCD screens suffer in extreme heat or cold but it is usually only temporary.

Whooahh there...

Jimmy is more than likely to be right.

If it's too hot, the expanding liquid presses against the glass frame distorting the image. Depending on polarisation / backlighting this may appear as patches of brightness or darkness.

Allow it to cool and the display will re-appear.

Excessive heat and the liquid might permentatly escape out of the glass but I bet a cars display would be designed to easily withstand direct sunlight...

Never seen one freeze yet... ?!

Our A-Class uses an LCD display but don't some of the larger saloons use an LED matrix ?

There is a huge delay on my display in the winter ...

Not quite frozen tho

Are you sure it was not just because of the unusual heat?

It's back to normal today, so it must have been the heat. I guess I'll just leave it then.

Cheers, Robbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom