multiple coats of polish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
I have come across descriptions of people applying multiple coats of polish to their cars, presumeably one after another. How much difference does this practice make? For example if you compared two adjacent panels of the same car, one with a single coat of polish and the other with say three coats, would there be an obvious difference?

Do you mean 3 stage polishing?

I mean i know there is the 3 stage meguiars, its ok and worth putting on the 3 instead of one, gives a deaper shine,

I use menzerna 3 stage polishes then 1 coat of pure wax

So yes it does make a difference so long as you take each layer off properly

Do you mean multiple coats of wax?
Depending on the wax/sealer could be 1 hour between coats or at least 24 hours

to be honest there are genuinely hundreds of ways of getting the best finish on cars, and there are different methods for different cars. All i can say is... you can look online at loads of different opinions, ways of doing it, you could be there all year arguing the toss of which is best... so my advice is, ask somebody you trust who knows alot about it... go for the stuff the advise, if you like it... bingo, if not, try something else

I'm a member on the detailing forum, and you could ask 6 people which products they prefer and get 6 different answers. A lot depends on cost and ease of application, and also time of year(temperature considerations)

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of multiple coats of wax, rather than a 3 stage polishing process. For instance, if I put three coats of something like meguiars NXT gen on my car, would it look any better than if I just stopped at one?

I wouldnt bother with any of that, get yourself some swissvax or something like that, say for reasonable money, onyx wax from them is good. The cleaner fluid off them which you apply before the wax is very good, my advice is make sure your paint is swirl free before you go any further.

It may retain the finish longer? I, on occasion, apply two coats of Collinite 915 and can feel a difference, it's smoother. I don't really see a difference but the finish does last longer.

With more than 1 coat of wax you will see very little difference, maybe a very subtle nuance.

2 coats would allow you an even coverage and allow you to apply to any areas missed, you may also see a slight improvement in durability.

I see people that put 5 + layers on their vehicles, not sure this has any benefit over 2 layers, as you start to get diminishing returns (every extra layer removes a little of the 1st).

I have got quite obsessed with my car's appearance in the past but now I think I have an acceptable system (no doubt many will still think I'm insane).

First, I am not convinced about the merits of layering; certainly not more than two layers. I think a good idea is to get the paint really good (see below) then top up your wax coat every time you wash the car.

Second, the best finish is obtained by cleaning, polishing then waxing; waxing alone, whether using multiple layers or just one, rarely gets the finish beyond the "temporarily tarted up" look.

Third, a machine can really improve your paint but you must know how to use it. I have the Meguiars machine (the bigger, mains powered one). It took me a long time to realise that you really do not need much product on the pad. Too much product and it doesn't break down and work on the paint, it just slops around doing nothing.

About once a year (usually spring) I carry out the following routine after washing:
(1) Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105 on really bad bits of paint.
(2) Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish
(3) Meguiars Speed Glaze (sometimes I can't be bothered with this as it is quite hard to remove)
(4) Meguiars Synthetic Sealant. Sometimes I go over twice.

If you do this, your car's paint will be very much richer than if you merely wax it, no matter how many coats you apply. I use these products because they are the ones I happen to have; there are hundreds of alternatives. When I subsequently wash the car, if it's a nice day and I haven't done it for a while, I will usually apply some kind of wax just to "top up" the finish. I might do the highlights with some Zymol I have; or I might go over it with some more Synthetic Sealant. But the point is, if you want a really good result, the cleaning and polishing of the paint is far more important than the wax.

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of multiple coats of wax, rather than a 3 stage polishing process. For instance, if I put three coats of something like meguiars NXT gen on my car, would it look any better than if I just stopped at one?

Hi

Two coats of your NXT will probably improve the look a little because you will more likely to give the car more "coverage" and it will leave more wax on the vehicle.

Any more coats and you are likely not see any difference and you will start to remove the previous layer of wax. NXT also has very very fine cleaners, which again wont help when you start applying loads of coats.

Two coats is ideal for your application. Some of the other waxes/sealants can be layered more liberally.

Regards
Elite Detailer Team :)

I mean i know there is the 3 stage meguiars, its ok and worth putting on the 3 instead of one, gives a deaper shine,

i might try this

Pretty much do the same when not in lazy mode. Use sonus polishes though.

About once a year (usually spring) I carry out the following routine after washing:
(1) Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105 on really bad bits of paint.
(2) Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish
(3) Meguiars Speed Glaze (sometimes I can't be bothered with this as it is quite hard to remove)
(4) Meguiars Synthetic Sealant. Sometimes I go over twice.

Ditto, but prior to step (1) and after a snow foam and wash (2 bucket method) I would clay the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom