Multiple email accounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Edited:
Looking to setup 3 email accounts that family can use, so when they log on.. they only get there own and not mine. I have created multiple logons with xp. Now what do i do?

I have 1 pop3 account and using Outlook

Last edited:
Would love to help, but none of what you have said makes any sense at all.

I'm slighly guessing at what you want here ..

Simplified Terminology.

Email can be read using a email client (email program) such as Outlook. This picks up email from an email server for you, the email server quite often uses POP3 or IMAP to store that email and make it available to a email client. The alternative to this is to read email via a web-browser (such as hotmail) - the web browser is effectively talking to the email client running on a web server which then talks POP3 or IMAP to the email server (or accesses the stored email by some other means)

ISPs tend to provide POP3 accounts and/or Webmail for it's customers (but not necessary), there are also email-only providers, which generally provide web access to mail (such as hotmail) but sometimes POP3 accounts aswell.

. Some POP3 email providers also provide web-browser access to the mail - this is convenient if you are away from your PC (like on holiday) and want to look at your email.

If you think of an email address as user@domain and remember that an email server works for a whole 'domain' you can see that if you want your family to have email addresses in same domain as you, you must use the same company that provides email for the domain your email address is in (since they have the email server for that domain)

Assumptions: -

You want seperate email addresses for your self, your son and your wife.

You currently have one email address that you use for yourself and some family email, and will continue to use it for yourself

You currently use Outlook and that uses POP3 to access your email.

You have created extra login accounts on, presumably, your Windows XP system so that your family login to that seperately to you, and thus have separate instances of Outlook to read their email

But you need to know what to do next ..

Answer (ish).

You need 1 POP3 (or IMAP) account per seperate email user (person). So you need additional POP3 accounts with whoever supplies your email, then you can configure outlook to use those accounts to read the email.

Alternatively you can use a different supplier to supply POP3 accounts, but then their email addresses will be different after the @ sign to yours.

Alternatively, they can just use a webmail service and forget about using outlook.

Also, you could register a domain for your family, and have an email provider run email services for that domain (your ISP may do that), then you can create addresses (i.e users) within that domain to your hearts content.

You will have to (most likely) continue using your ISP's email outbound server (SMTP server) to send outbound email from your outlook - as thats the only outbound email server that knows who you are (i.e that you are a customer), and thus the only one that will let you send email to the world through it.

Hope I guessed right and that makes some sense

Richard

Sorted!
Had to create seperate profiles, with different email addresses each having it's own data file

Thanks Richard,
My ISP were no help at all

I did think about using hotmail etc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom