Multiple faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pidge

Car
W203 C180K Sport 2005
Hi All,

Hoping you can shed some light on my issues as I have codes coming out of my ears and although I can get discounted genuine Mercedes parts the false diagnostic is starting to cost a lot!!

I purchased this W203 2005 M271 C180K Spot Edition for £2700 and after multiple viewings and test drives I fell in love and bought it. Looking back through the receipts the badly made cam gears have already gone and I have around £2000 with of receipts for head skimming, valves, hardened cam gears and all the other bits associated with the damage the failure of these gears cause. After seeing this I presumed the car was through the worst of it.

On the drive home from picking it up (45 miles) the engine warning light came on so took it steady to get it home. On the way home the cluster started showing failure and visit workshop (I don't think the two are linked). When I got home I plugged in my Delphi unit and around 50 codes were on it. I cleared them all as the car was running correctly and took it for a little drive and again the light came on. It was the 'intake cam position intermittent' so I changed what I thought was the position sensor and now I know is the cam adjustment sensors. Reset the codes and drove it again.

The light came back on and the cluster goes wild from lights flashing to dials at zero while driving. I have today changed the cam intake sensor @ £150. Reset the codes and took it for a drive, the light has come on again and the cluster is still going mental. As everything is working correctly I am still driving it as I need it at the moment.

I noticed the other day that the rear footwell was damp and when plugging in the Delphi I am sure I felt a little water while plugging it in. I have checked and the front scuttle was blocked so I have unblocked this and the footwell is drying up nicely. I have reset the codes tonight and need to use it for a 50 mile round trip tomorrow so I will log all the fault codes it brings up on the run tomorrow and update the thread.

In the meantime is this anything you have heard of before or do you know of areas to check? Any help will be muchly appreciated as I love the car and don't want to have to sell it on if it is reasonably fixable.

749c88d3a506139dfbaa2742cc4ee597.jpg

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice! [emoji317]

Hi All,

Hoping you can shed some light on my issues as I have codes coming out of my ears and although I can get discounted genuine Mercedes parts the false diagnostic is starting to cost a lot!!

I purchased this W203 2005 M271 C180K Spot Edition for £2700 and after multiple viewings and test drives I fell in love and bought it. Looking back through the receipts the badly made cam gears have already gone and I have around £2000 with of receipts for head skimming, valves, hardened cam gears and all the other bits associated with the damage the failure of these gears cause. After seeing this I presumed the car was through the worst of it.

On the drive home from picking it up (45 miles) the engine warning light came on so took it steady to get it home. On the way home the cluster started showing failure and visit workshop (I don't think the two are linked). When I got home I plugged in my Delphi unit and around 50 codes were on it. I cleared them all as the car was running correctly and took it for a little drive and again the light came on. It was the 'intake cam position intermittent' so I changed what I thought was the position sensor and now I know is the cam adjustment sensors. Reset the codes and drove it again.

The light came back on and the cluster goes wild from lights flashing to dials at zero while driving. I have today changed the cam intake sensor @ £150. Reset the codes and took it for a drive, the light has come on again and the cluster is still going mental. As everything is working correctly I am still driving it as I need it at the moment.

I noticed the other day that the rear footwell was damp and when plugging in the Delphi I am sure I felt a little water while plugging it in. I have checked and the front scuttle was blocked so I have unblocked this and the footwell is drying up nicely. I have reset the codes tonight and need to use it for a 50 mile round trip tomorrow so I will log all the fault codes it brings up on the run tomorrow and update the thread.

In the meantime is this anything you have heard of before or do you know of areas to check? Any help will be muchly appreciated as I love the car and don't want to have to sell it on if it is reasonably fixable.

There are a lot of sensors and wires in the engine bay and my guess would be that whoever took the top of the engine apart and rebuilt it, somehow messed up with the electronics. Chafing wires, poor earth strap, contaminated contacts, or bad connectors, that sort of thing. Sorry I can't be more specific.

The other option is oil in the ECU loom - check for oil leaks from the two camshaft position sensors at the front of the engine, I.e. unplug the electrical connector and look for signs of oil.

And last, look for frayed, cracked or brittle vacuum/breather pipes under the air filter box, though this would likely cause rough idle as well.

Regarding the damp footwell, from memory the scuttle has plastic lining, it would really have to be full to the brim with water and then overflow around the sides into the engine bay... sounds unlikely. Unless it was the areas on both sides under the bonnet that were blocked?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, both sides were totally blocked I had to use compressed air to empty them after hours of failed prodding and poking with a piece of wire. I only realised when I washed the car and found a full pool of water in the scuttle so guessing it was overflowing into the car.

I'll check the earthing tomorrow after my run as I had noticed that issue on a couple of other forum posts with similar issues.

Right then, last night I cleared all the codes apart from...

C1035 - Steering angle sensor; faulty signal - intermittent

As it won't let me delete this one?? I took it for my 25 mile journey this morning and no issues at all apart from a couple of misfires under acceleration but no issues with the dash and no engine management light came on. Finished my course... Jumped in the car and started it and within seconds of starting it the engine management light came on. Drove home with no issues with the dash and a hand full of misfires. Read the codes when I got home and going from one fault I couldn't get rid of I now have the following...

Petrol
200A - Throttle / air mass meter; incorrect ratio - Intermittent
201B - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected - Intermittent
2054 - Incorrect position of the intake camshaft - Intermittent
2029 - Mixture adaptation; lower limit reached - Intermittent

Brake (ESP/BAS (Electronic Stability Program)
C1035 - Steering angle sensor; faulty signal - Intermittent

Instrument
9110 - Interior CAN bus; CAN bus off - Intermittent
9112 - Fault in CAN communication with (Rear SAM) - Intermittent
911A - Fault in CAN communication with control module SCM or Steering column module. - Intermittent
911B - Fault in CAN communication with control unit SRS or SRS supplemental restraint system. - Intermittent

Climate
No fault codes

Immobiliser
No fault codes

Restraints
No fault codes

Multifunction (SAM - Front (Signal Acquisition and Control Module - Front )
B1027 - Control module SVMCM is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1013 - Right parking lamp; short circuit or Open circuit - Permanent
B1040 - Control module ICM is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1029 - Control module AAC is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1028 - Control module REAR SAM is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1030 - Control module UCP is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1031 - Control module OCP is not transmitting any data.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1026 - Control modules EIS and SCM are not linked via the CAN bus.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory an perform a function check. - Permanent

Multifunction (SAM - Rear (Signal Acquisition and Control Module - Rear)
B1098 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Trailer recognition. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1093 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Left front door. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1094 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Right front door. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1089 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Instrument cluster. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
1096 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit UCP. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check. - Permanent
B1091 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit AAC pushbutton. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check. - Permanent
B10A1 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Steering column module .If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check. - Permanent
B1095 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit Front SAM with fuse and relay module. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1090 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit OCP .If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check - Permanent
B1088 - Fault in CAN communication with control unit EIS.Check coding.If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check. - Permanent
B1078 - Fault in communication with alarm signal siren with additional battery or there is a cable fault - Permanent

Multifunction (Steering column module - MRM169 (Steering column module)
9350 - Interior CAN bus; communication fault - Intermittent

Multifunction (Upper control panel - OBF203 (Upper control panel) - MT/AT)
9026 - CAN communication - Permanent

There is something a little odd about all this and looking at that lot I am wondering if there really is an issue with my intake cam or if there is just an issue with the entire CAN system, does anyone know where I can start in regards to fault finding this issue. I don't mind paying if there is someone local I just want to enjoy this car and not have to pay way more than the car is worth to get it sorted. As I say when the dash is behaving the car drives faultlessly with a couple of barely noticeable misfires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'd probably say that the car had problems prior to you purchasing it, and that someone cleared out the codes before you picked it up, as there are way too many codes coming up for all of that lot to have suddenly gone wrong.

As above, you should have taken the car back straight away.

That's a hell of a lot of OBD fault codes...you need to get the car on MB STAR diagnostics so you can lock into the CAN system...this should point you in the direction of cause otherwise you run the risk of changing stuff over adhoc without fixing your issues...I would locate a recommended MB indy close to you, search the forum or start new thread for recommendation.

As above if bought from a trader get it back to them asap...

Last edited:
Sadly I'm flying out of the country for two months today but I think I have solved it! I have a garage picking it up later this week to do the very easy fix! What is happening is the scuttle panel drains are blocked, this is allowing water to enter the car through the air boxes and dripping onto the SAM!

I managed to clear out 210 and 215 last night and I'll have the garage clear 200 and 190 then dry out the car which should solve my issues!!

317b0e3da0bb9eade10e3543a53baa94.jpg

210 and 215 were solid! I noticed as it rained a lot yesterday and went out to pick something up when I noticed a swimming pool of water in the Center which has then overflowed into the outer drains which caused the dash to go mental!

Hope anyone that finds this thread checks these drains and it would be worth current owners flushing these drains out every so often to make sure this doesn't happen to you too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom