Multiple issues, worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saacred1

Car
1995 E300 Diesel
Aloha All.

I was so excited about my getting a 95 E300D Sept 2011. But since then it has been one thing after another.

1st White smoke from dash and A/C has not worked since, but hot air blows from the top vents

2nd glow plug indicator on dash comes on only AFTER the car is running and stays on

3rd head rest button on dash does not release rear head rests

4th radio volume began to fail, turn down music made it louder, turn up made it quieter until finally it does not work at all

5th problems starting car. i thought it was air in the fuel lines, which seem to be problematic on this vehicle. but since then i replaced fuel filter and it fired great, immediately for about a week. suddenly, it is not starting again. wont turn over. tried to jump it, it turns over great briefly until battery seemingly dying again, but still never fired.

I am stumped, worried and frustrated and afraid to drive it until i can determine more. This car is immaculate inside and out and i would hate to have to sell. all help greatly appreciated. Aloha, sabina

Hi,

I think you have a few seperate problems.

- White steam from dash normally indicates a leaking heater matrix and this should be dealt with asap.. Although its a labour intensive job.
- A/C could be related but check basics first, any gas in system? Maybe the duo valves arent working.
- Head rest button? Not sure would have to investigate wiring.
- Radio sounds like it needs replacing, seen this before, always junked them.
- Are you waiting for glow plugs to go out before starting?
- Check battery and charging system?

mercs, like all the good things in life are expensive items when new, they also attract heavy maintenance costs due to their complexity, especially those built in the last decade, get an old rogue and the costs can spiral. Looks like you may have an old rogue - mind you most of the items you have listed arent that major - mercs are lovely cars, but if you want cheap motoring don't buy a merc.

You or your garage/mechanic should find this reference very useful. Untitled Document

Its the official MB workshop manual for your model. Apart from Jay's sound advice above your non starting could be a problem with the diesel engine stop mechanism which is part vacuum/ignition switch controlled. The non starting could also be glow plug related- to be honest you need to find a good garage that is familiar with these older models.-- many MB dealers are no longer familiar with them. The air con issue is one which may require removal of the dashboard assembly so ideally you need to find someone who has done this job several times before. If the car used the older type refrigerant gas other parts may need to be upgraded also.

Thank you Jay. I will have mechanic look into all these things. And yes, I always wait that 20 seconds or so for glow plugs to heat.

grober said:
You or your garage/mechanic should find this reference very useful. Untitled Document

Its the official MB workshop manual for your model. Apart from Jay's sound advice above your non starting could be a problem with the diesel engine stop mechanism which is part vacuum/ignition switch controlled. The non starting could also be glow plug related- to be honest you need to find a good garage that is familiar with these older models.-- many MB dealers are no longer familiar with them. The air con issue is one which may require removal of the dashboard assembly so ideally you need to find someone who has done this job several times before. If the car used the older type refrigerant gas other parts may need to be upgraded also.

Thank you kindly. And you are right about MBZ dealers. And because I live in a small town on an island, they only send a mechanic over once a month from another island. It's challenging at best. To be honest, I do love this gem of a car. And when in Europe, I noticed these were used as taxis. Longevity, beauty, diesel. What a combo. I hope to get my hands dirty working on her with my mechanic.

Aloha and thanks you again!

Mahalo and Aloha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom