Murray Walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
It'll be a grim day but reckon he'll be another sad loss this year.

As well as everything else, he was the voice of all the cool video games growing up.

I've always loved his enthusiasm regardless of what or who he's talking about. He's a great man and has the respect he deserves.

Ant.

2016 leave him alone!!!!!!!

Qualifying TODAY LIVE 12.00 miday channel 4

I remember Murray Walker when René Arnoux & Patrick Tambay drove for Ferrari. First commentator I remember hearing on F1. :) Please don't tell me he's starting to stop. :(

So sad to hear about Murray hope the guy is comfortable
So meny celebrities have passed away this year it'd be so sad if Murray was another one to pass away.
Hoping he has a speedy recovery but he is at that age now.
Fact the average human life span is approximately 1000 months
Scarry stuff

So sad. Murray Walker has had such unswerving enthusiasm for motorsport for his entire life, it must be a huge disappointment for him.

My first "encounter" with Murray's commentating was when I was a kid in the 1960's watching motorsports on Grandstand - remember those days when the BBC used to actually show all branches of motorsport? My Dad had a recording of Murray commentating on the Manx TT race (I believe it was from 1961) which I used to listen to on his Ferguson reel-to-reel tape recorder. Happy days :thumb:

I still love Clive James' quote about Murray's commentating style, “Even in moments of tranquillity, Murray Walker sounds like a man whose trousers are on fire” :D

As an aside, I met Stirling Moss last weekend at the FlyWheel Festival in Bicester and was shocked at how frail he now is too :(

As an aside, I met Stirling Moss last weekend at the FlyWheel Festival in Bicester and was shocked at how frail he now is too :(

I met him too earlier this year at a historic racing event and was also really shocked how frail he has become. Age comes to us all I guess but it still comes as a shock when you see legends who in your youth you thought were immortal to be so frail.

Murray Walker's short interview with James Hunt's son was indeed about 20 minutes into that "Qualifying" program at 12 . I expect it will be repeated tomorrow in the hour before the start. Probably will be available as video clip on channel 4's website later.

Last edited:
Given how well he's looked in some of his appearances in the last few years it's been easy to overlook the fact he was approaching and passed 90.

I used to find him annoying at times - and then he retired from F1 at the age of 78 - and then I found it even more annoying that he'd retired.

I miss him hugely and I particular miss him and James Hunt.

His snooker commentary still tickles me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-oAsDCGNA

I happened to be on a stand at Goodwood FoS when Freddie Hunt was there signing some James Hunt memorabilia. Him, the three people running the stand, and me Mrs D, and our two children.

A shame he wasn't more approachable, not because we wanted to chat, just to make it feel less awkward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom