Museum comparisons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s88

Car
E320CDI & SL350
Can anyone give an opinion on the merits of the car museums around Munich please?
MB, Audi and BMW?

Unbiased opinions please.

I dont think I have time to visit them all and would prefer the one with the best cars and better history.

Many thanks,
S

Attachments

• Lake Garda 372.jpg
    Lake Garda 372.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 4
sorry for bumping this again, but going next week to Munich region and any guidance is most welcome.

S88

The Audi one would be boring as hell IMHO, it has to be MB just because of the history and the prettier cars.

I've been to the BMW one ('4 cylinder shaped') previously - in 2002 I think - and it was OK.

I couldn't honestly say 'it was brilliant - you must go'.

It might have changed in the time since but I wouldn't bother on the strength of what I saw.

Is any German manufacturers museum going to be interesting?

I would have thought the Audi one might be better due to the company being made up of merged companies and having a connection to the third Reich.

Audi have been more innovative than Mercedes or BMW...think Quattro, RO80, diesel cars for Le Mans.

What have Mercedes done...C63... :D

I've not been to the other two, but the BMW museum and 4 cylinder building are worth a look for the buildings themselves.

The 4 cylinder building is actually constructed from the top down, with each floor being suspended from the one above.

Very impressive:
BMW Headquarters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firstly is the MB museum not in Stuttgart which is 200 Km from Munich:dk: The Audi Museum is in Ingoldtstat 90 Km North of Munich and the BMW museum is of course in Munich.

My recommendation would be to do both the MB and Porsche Museums which are both around Stuttgart.

Incidentally I too will be in Munich Monday and Tuesday next week :thumb:

The 4 cylinder building is actually constructed from the top down, with each floor being suspended from the one above.
Where does it say that?

It says the outer parts of the cylinders don't touch the ground, each floor is suspended from a central column.

Flanaia 1,

I think there are museums in both Stuttgart and the Munich region!

I hope so will try to do more research tomorrow.

Where does it say that?

It says the outer parts of the cylinders don't touch the ground, each floor is suspended from a central column.

It's what the BMW New Mini programme manager told me, at one of my many visits, during the project transition.

Is any German manufacturers museum going to be interesting?

I would have thought the Audi one might be better due to the company being made up of merged companies and having a connection to the third Reich.

Audi have been more innovative than Mercedes or BMW...think Quattro, RO80, diesel cars for Le Mans.

What have Mercedes done...C63... :D

Oh , Mercedes only invented the car in the first place ( at least Karl Benz did ) .

You of all people should know they built the worlds first Diesel car ( the 260D ) in the 1930s and that Dr Diesel was an engineer with Mercedes when he built the first Diesel engined trucks and buses .

They had some small connection with the Third Reich being the preferred mode of transport of a certain well known figure , supplied all sorts of military vehicles as well as making the engines for tanks , aircraft , submarines .....

They built the first Volkswagens under the direction of a certain Dr Porsche who also worked for them , along with a certain Herr Maybach who also branched out on his own later ...

They built legendary racing cars at the turn of the 20th century , in the 20's , 30's , 40's and 50's

In the 1950's they sold the Audi brand ( which they owned ) to Volkswagen ( which had become an independent company after the war ) ; the first modern day Audis had Mercedes engines borrowed from the Fintail range when they were introduced in the 1960's as the forerunner to the Audi 100 range .

Besides NSU and Mazda , Mercedes were one of the few manufacturers to take up the rotary engine with prototypes in the C111 ESF and in the R107 chassis produced . They also introduced fuel injection to production cars after introducing the technology in their wartime aero engines .

They were the first manufacturer to concentrate on safety , with a programme of crash testing and safety engineering starting in the 1930's and pioneering the crumple zone/safety cell system with the Ponton range introduced in the early 1950's .

I could go on , but all in all Mercedes are the ONLY manufacturer who can display 127 years of motoring history and innovation in their museum ; the rest are only upstarts .

Last edited:
I missed out the original G Wagen built in the 1930's with 4WD and four wheel steering which allowed it to turn virtually in its own length ( another Porsche project IIRC ) ; I think Porsche also worked on the supercharged engines of the W06 series of the late 20's and early 30's ( better known as the S , SS , SSK , and SSKL series and nicknamed 'the white elephants' across the pre war European racing circuits where they vied with the Bentley Boys and generally swept the boards ) .

The 'white elephants' were of course replaced by the legendary 'silver arrows' a decade later .

Besides being famous for their cars , Mercedes also made trucks , buses and agricultural vehicles since the early days .

One of the most famous being the amazingly versatile Unimog which has been in production since the 1950's in one form or another , then there is the M-B Trac ( 4x4 tractor with modular accessories ) .

Did the mb and Porsche ones about 15 yrs ago. Would visit both again. I believe the S class range is being given centre stage at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom