Music: on through the night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

Just musing on times past; I don't really do a lot of miles these days, but there was a time in my previous life when I used to travel a lot. My carbon footprint certainly wouldn't impress anyone these days.

Apart from jumping on planes at the drop of a hat, I racked up a lot of miles behind the wheel, and in some ways I miss it. Of course, sitting in a traffic jam when you're trying to get to a job or back to the airport is frustrating but I've had plenty of good times too. I've done a lot of trips across Europe by car (and van), and I always used to prefer travelling at night when the roads are quiet and you can get your foot down. And there's something special about a new landscape, just viewed when the sun is coming up.

Music was always a part of this, and the long night journeys widened my appreciation considerably. I've always been into a bit of metal, but found that various genres ate the miles up; techno, shouty rap/hip hop - bhangra is surprisingly good in the wee small hours.

I gave all that up when I changed jobs a few years back but all of a sudden I've come over a bit nostalgic. Anyone else enjoy a good night drive, and if so, what do you listen to?

Cheers,

Gaz

Between my 2 marriages I lived on my own for 10 years and would regularly get up and hit the road In the middle of the night on bike and in car , like you say nothing better than seeing that night sky and quiet roads but as for the music that could of been anything from rock to classical with a fair amount of 80”s thrown in.

I did a solstice run one night drove to Blackpool watched sun set and then came back across to Whitby to watch it rise was a great run and weather was amazing that was a rock night with a bit of country thrown in .

When I used to do a bit of winter mountaineering id drive to Snowdon through the night to get there for sun up and a good day in the mountains. I loved the drive almost as much as playing in the hills. I used to listen to any of the Doors live concerts or a good prog rock album like Caravan Land of Grey and Pink or a bit of Soft Machine. Something you could really get your teeth (or ears) into.

Hi,
I drive a lot of miles - 200km per day just for the school run!
My music that I listen to revolves around Genesis, Marillion and Steve Hackett!
Cheers
Steve

Music to drive at night to.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have two very guilty pleasures (having come from the prog rock era) when driving by myself at night, and I can't decide how brilliant or naff they both are.

Peter Skellern with the Grimethorpe Colliery Band playing tribute to Fred Astaire is probably a non starter for a lot of you, but the linked track always reminds me of the first time my cousin played it to me, complete with visual impressions of Jimmy Durante on the piano solo and an Eric Morecambe jazz hands/tap type dance during the brass section, which unfortunately I can't share with you! If you listen and like the track, you'll probably love the album for its arrangements.

The other is The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Hooked on Classics. Likewise if you listen and like, which I doubt, but it's very uplifting.

Led Zep 1 and 2 interspersed along the way.

You can’t go wrong with Zep. I love a bit of Prog, especially the Canterbury scene though I’m not really from the era, born in 72. My dads influence I guess. Saw Caravan play recently. Fantastic, complete with electric spoons!

You can’t go wrong with Zep. I love a bit of Prog, especially the Canterbury scene though I’m not really from the era, born in 72. My dads influence I guess. Saw Caravan play recently. Fantastic, complete with electric spoons!
Hi,
Noticed that you are from my home town - Guildford.
Saw Camel (a local prog rock band with the legendary guitarist Andy Latimer) a few times in the 80’s at the original Civiv Hall!
Also saw Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Genesis and others perform there!
Cheers
Steve

Hi,
Noticed that you are from my home town - Guildford.
Saw Camel (a local prog rock band with the legendary guitarist Andy Latimer) a few times in the 80’s at the original Civiv Hall!
Also saw Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Genesis and others perform there!
Cheers
Steve
I’ve been in Guildford about 10 years now but hail from Hersham so same area. I remember hearing Sham69 practicing about the florists in Hersham! I do like Camel, there seemed to be so much swapping of band members in that period. The same names pop up all over the place. We saw Caravan at the Farncombe Church. It’s a mad venue, quite surreal having a beer sitting in the pews watching Caravan! They have some good bands there. I used to go to loads of gigs but less frequent now. My first gig was Pink Floyd at Wembley Stadium in 88.

I used to fit ICE (in car entertainment) so I liked my music usually pop stuff of the age and some classical.
I used to play that a full chat on the 8 track (remember those) and the neighbours gave me funny looks when arriving home.
I still loads of those 8 track tapes, remember Klaus Wunderlich with his Hammond Organ music, brilliant.

In the late 90s and early 00s I used to drive from U.K. to Italy several times a year, and one of my favourite memories of that was driving through the Alps at dusk listening to Dire Straits.

As luck would have it, 3 years ago I found myself in the same place at the same time of day on our way to a family holiday in Lake Garda, yep, Dire Straits was still on the playlist and we augmented it with a bit of Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers as we came down the Aosta Valley in the dark.

Then the kids won and on went their modern trash, which kept us all awake until Lake Garda in the early hours.

Two fabulous drives in stunning scenery that I shall never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom