Must be Monday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
And brains not engaged.

Perfectly straight stretch of motorway very little traffic and ahead of me a pathetic scene plays out.

Small blue Kia thing in lane one, Mondeo in front also lane one indicates and pulls into lane two to allow Transit van to join from slip road.

Kia could have easily done same, I am well behind and only just pulling into lane two as well.

But no. Just ran into back of Transit.

They walk and drive amongst us.

Must be Monday; seconded.

Just got in from a short trip out. Leaving a three lane dual carriageway onto a two lane dual carriageway at about 70mph in light traffic. Workman in the area of grass between the two decides that is the moment to pull his extra long wheelbase Transit off the grass and completely block both lanes on our dual carriageway, broadside to me and the car in lane one. The really mental thing about it was that I could see him looking at us before he pulled forward.
Another occasion I wish I was still driving my old Landy; I wouldn't have minded denting that.

And brains not engaged.

Perfectly straight stretch of motorway very little traffic and ahead of me a pathetic scene plays out.

Small blue Kia thing in lane one, Mondeo in front also lane one indicates and pulls into lane two to allow Transit van to join from slip road.

Kia could have easily done same, I am well behind and only just pulling into lane two as well.

Kia driver might have been one of the posters on an earlier thread who found it completely acceptable for a lorry to ram a car which had pulled out from a slip road rather than attempt to avoid it.

May be its planned... 7 year warranty is due to expire hehe.

Last edited:
Sainsburys yesterday. Driving out of the carpark and get confronted by Yummy Mummy rapidly reversing Ford Focus out of her bay and across the narrow ONE WAY road. To add insult she then turns the wrong way into the one way and gives me the look to end all looks because I'm blocking her path.

I think that Sainsbury is a bit of a hotbed for nutty women.

One followed me out of the shop into the fuel station and parked right up to my bumper recently, got out and started ranting about something I failed to understand - I suspect that it may have been about the mushrooms.

In the OP's report, I assume that the Transit entering the motorway was going slower than the Kia that ran into it, else the crunch wouldn't have happened. So why didn't the transit driver do as the Highway Code and common sense tells him and adjust his speed to that of the traffic in lane one, either entering the motorway well ahead of the Kia or well behind it? Was he really in so much of a hurry he couldn't wait for the reported light traffic to clear? Oh, hang on, no he was going even slower than the Kia wasn't he, so can't have been that. So perhaps the Kia driver had spotted the Mondeo pulling out and thought that it may have been to overtake, so he felt that it would be unsafe to pull out into its path? But most likely it was the all too common thing of two or more drivers not paying full attention. If only that was restricted to Monday mornings!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Sainsbury is a bit of a hotbed for nutty women.

One followed me out of the shop into the fuel station and parked right up to my bumper recently, got out and started ranting about something I failed to understand - I suspect that it may have been about the mushrooms.

I can imagine with her parked bumper to bumper there wasn't mushroom! ;)

It is clearly a nationwide phenomenon.

I was following (rather slowly) a Honda Jazz around 07:20 this morning, we were driving along a twisty, tree lined country road with no road lighting, I with dipped beam and the Honda, well I think you may have guessed, no lights at all.

Thinking that this was a temporary aberration I held back but no, after 20 seconds or so still no lights, I flashed a couple of times and I did indeed get the drivers attention because they turned on ................the interior light!

We carried on for another mile or so before joining the A36 from Salisbury South toward the M27, still no lights and other cars were, by then, regularly flashing at the Jazz.

A layby came up shortly and at this point the Honda pulled in, I pulled in as well in case there was a problem that I could help with.

The driver (of an age I would hesitate to guess but certainly more towards the senior end of the scale) opened his window and said "why are you all bloody flashing at me?"

I pointed out that for the last few miles, most of it on unlit roads, he had been driving without lights (except of course for the interior light that was still switched on!)

"Oh, is that all?" was his response as he turned them on and drove away!:wallbash:

Honda Jazz ... The weapon of choice for the elderly to cause chaos in.

My neighbour has one , he parks it by driving forward until he hits the wall , then turns the car off.

Watching him reverse out of the bay is literally terrifying , to the point where I won't park my car opposite the bay because one day his foot will slip off the clutch guaranteed.

I have another old nutter neighbour who drove off with his passenger rear door wide open the other day and clattered the little A class. This is in a fiat punto that looks like it has been driving round downtown Baghdad all it's life.

I went over later to inform him of the error of his ways and he was unaware anything had happened ! Wtf !

Exactly 3 years ago we had just taken delivery of a new Nissan Note for my wife.
I was driving it to a medical appointment. Just started out from a red light when there was a tremendous ripping sound. Guy was parked on double yellow lines in an old 2dr Metro flung his door open, caught the Note just in front of the passenger door and tore a swath back to rear wheel. He got out and was crying, with his head down on his roof. He was OK, he had an old dog on the back seat, also OK. "I thought I checked my mirror" said he. Well "No". His driver door was twisted off, the Note looked like a beer can that had exploded.
I am old...74 at that time.
His age then...93!
Fortunately his insurance covered it all. But still a "No fault accident" on my record.

I once knocked off a door thrown open right in front of me on the greenford road.

I just drove off , never heard any more. 18 years old in a mk1 gti , didn't want the insurance going up any more lol

I once knocked off a door thrown open right in front of me on the greenford road.

I just drove off , never heard any more. 18 years old in a mk1 gti , didn't want the insurance going up any more lol

Did the same on my push bike in my youth...

Reliant Robin it was, ripped the door clean off, driver left just holding the handle

Clearly a lot of "drivers" found driving licences in their Christmas Crackers this year…

And brains not engaged.

Not trying to excuse the lack of awareness of the Kia driver , however -

No doubt van driver had no idea of the concept that traffic joining a motorway/dual carriageway has to accord priority to traffic already on the carriageway , and that , ultimately , if he cannot join without causing road users on the carriageway to have to alter course or speed then he must give way or even stop .

Perish the thought .

It is clearly a nationwide phenomenon.

I was following (rather slowly) a Honda Jazz around 07:20 this morning, we were driving along a twisty, tree lined country road with no road lighting, I with dipped beam and the Honda, well I think you may have guessed, no lights at all.

Thinking that this was a temporary aberration I held back but no, after 20 seconds or so still no lights, I flashed a couple of times and I did indeed get the drivers attention because they turned on ................the interior light!

We carried on for another mile or so before joining the A36 from Salisbury South toward the M27, still no lights and other cars were, by then, regularly flashing at the Jazz.

A layby came up shortly and at this point the Honda pulled in, I pulled in as well in case there was a problem that I could help with.

The driver (of an age I would hesitate to guess but certainly more towards the senior end of the scale) opened his window and said "why are you all bloody flashing at me?"

I pointed out that for the last few miles, most of it on unlit roads, he had been driving without lights (except of course for the interior light that was still switched on!)

"Oh, is that all?" was his response as he turned them on and drove away!:wallbash:

I regularly see newish cars equipped with DRL's blazing in front and no rear lights showing - alas the instruments are constantly lit so they don't have even this cue that it's time to light up .

I flash them too , but I had to draw alongside one on a DC , lower my window then toot and shout to eventually pass the message .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom