My 1200 mile Scottish trip-SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Having had Olly (PCS) replace a leaking ABC valve block (surprise suprise) recently, I deceided to take the SL to Scotland, and boy was I glad I did. All my friends thought I was mad and should take the Jeep, as it's Scotland and it's full of potholes and mud tracks they said. How wrong they were. I did 1286 miles in a week travelling to Loch Lubnaig, near Callender, where we stayed on the Forest Holidays site at Strathyre. If you're approaching or near a village it's a 40 or 30mph limit, then is national speed limit/go like hell everywhere!! I can see why so many bikers love it. Long, twisty roads with great visibility and no side roads for miles. I know ABC suspension is problematic and expensive to fix, and I also thought the car handled pretty well for a two and a quarter ton monster, but I now know that it handles way much better than I previously thought. I was really chucking it into the corners and it just wouldn't let go. I suppose the new Conti SP3's helps tons too, but that ABC suspension, when push hard, really is worth it's beans. Try it, you will then realise the expense and heartache is far outweighed by the sheer fun you could be having.
I was really impressed with my mpg too. On the 1286 mile trip, which involved motorways, lots of redlining, A and slower B roads, an hour in M25 traffic and an hour and a half sitting doing 0- 5mph with the AC on, as we were stuck in last Saturday's fatal accident on the M40 near Oxford, I still averaged 26mpg. On the first leg of the return journey from Callander to Haydock(Wigan) which was a clear motorway run, at 80ish, I average 29.2 mpg. It's on trips and holidays like these, I really appreciate what a lovely car the R230 is. Oh, and we had a day and a half of sun too. Rest of the time is rained, but hey, it is Scotty land, it does that there. It also gave me the oppurtunity to see if my boot leaked after doing the C pillar seals repair that Malcolm detailed on the otherside. Guess what-Totally dry boot.:D
PS-Scotland is a pretty nice place too.

Reply on other forum

Well done on accomplishing a brilliant trip.

Did you tackle to Dukes Pass from Kilmahog to Aberfoyle. It has very tight sections and hair pin bends like an alpine pass.

Its a nice spot the trossachs.

I know the road you mean, the A84/A85 routes are brilliant and allow for some incdecent speeds. I have made an ex girl friend of mine nearly sick up here.

Loch Earn and the Shed

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Other end of Loch Earn

DSC_0059.jpg

Loch Venachar

DSC_0078.jpg

Loch Lupnaig

DSC00628.jpg

Loch Lomond looking onto Ben Lomond

DSC00633.jpg

Did you take the car up the A82 to Fort William.

PM me next time you are up and I will make some driving routes on Googlemaps for you.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. Dam, blast, pooh, bums!!! I read all about Duke's Pass and thought 'I'm gonna do that' and guess what-I forgot!! Grrrrr. Hey, wait, Kilmahog to Aberfoyle??? If there is only one route between the two, then I did travel many times between the Kilmahog and Aberfoyle.
Went past Loch Earn, Katrine, Ard, Lomond etc and had the most amazing home made carrot cake at the coffee shop at one of the piers at Katrine. You really do live in a lovely part of the world.
And yes, the A84 ran the other side to the Forest Cabins where we were staying and I loveed the section of it from Loch Lubnaig to Strathyre.

Mrs Ted and I stopped in those cabins a couple of years ago. Snapped this chap and had some great walks - especially through the Braes o' Balquhidder.
Also some good walks along the abandoned railway track.
Happy memories.

Last edited:
Fantastic aren't they Ted. We usually stay at Deerpark, near Liskeard in Cornwall, but thought I'd give the car a leg stretch. HAve you tried one of the new cabins with the log burner and hot tub on the decking?

That's the one we had, reflexboy. I have a photo somewhere of me in the hot tub holding my trunks up. I will delight the forum with it if I find it.
Nice part of the country, but we both felt that the western highlands has more to offer.
As I say, some cracking walks round there though.
Our chalet was quite secluded and had a good view of the loch.

Last edited:
I'm deffo not showing you my 'hot tub' pics..He he he. Below are some pics of Scotland.

Attachments

• l1.JPG
    l1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 34
  • l2.JPG
    l2.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom