My 124 - 300TE 4Matic Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Goes to show you can't always do a proper visual diagnostic on rubber laminate bushes buy just looking - unless you are an MOT officeer... :):)

In fairness here. The bushings were completely collapsed with very little rubber left. The play that this allowed was actually quite shocking and very easy to induce just by pushing the axle back and forth under the car. It was effectively floating, front to rear.

What still does amaze me is how well the factory underseal has stood the test of time and the UK weather. It is absolutely perfect in its original grey satin finish with zero rust. This was further tested and commented on, when the rear subframe was dropped (some time back) when doing other work.

Keeping on top of the "normal" side window leaks is a must to stop the car rotting from the inside out as rain water drips down the inner wings into the floor wells. The floor well drains, also block up and rot out. These cost pennies and are worth replacing as they act as a diaphragm allowing water out and air in.

MOT passed with zero issues or advisories. I'm very happy with that. The place I use is very thorough, so if something is not right, they flag it up.

Sadly the rear torsion arms have not fixed my mystery 'side to side wobble' in 4WD.

The MOT guys had a good look (with me) when the car was on the ramp. There is nothing wrong that we can find.

We have now eliminated all the most obvious things, leaving either, Grobers, suspicion of a front drive shaft bearing, or a balance issue with one of the prop shafts.

It is beyond my knowledge and capability. So the car will have to back to Andy @ Wright Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

A lovely run out yesterday to the Kent coast. Nothing fell off and nothing started to rattle. A day on the hard shoulder awaiting a breakdown truck was avoided.

Attachments

• image-1388940363.jpg
    image-1388940363.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image-1141809720.jpg
    image-1141809720.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom