My 190E 3.2 (soon to be twin turbo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark300SL

1962-2010. Gone, but not forgotten.
This is the new toy - a 1987 190E 2.6 auto with a twist :D

The 2.6 12v engine has been swapped for a 3.2 24v engine with variable cam timing. The conversion was done by Ben who built the truely remarkable 5.0 32v V8 190 I posted earlier. The engine is from an S320 and according to him the bigger cars weight meant they dragged a little extra from the engine with revised cam profiles and a tweaked ECU.
I picked it up from Devon and a while back it was rolling roaded at Alan Jeffries showing a very healthy 250+hp due to the cams, ECU and complete lack of any kind of catalytic converters :D

Having spent ages trying to source a 3.2 for my black 2.6 I eventually found one already fitted in a 190 shell! As far as I know this car is unique in the UK - as I thought I would be building the first one :)
This shows how little I know as this car was converted (extremely well) 11 years ago and still only has 50k on the clock. It has been SORN for the last 3 years as Ben completed his 5.0 conversion 4 years ago and was therefore prepared to let me have this one.

It flew through an MOT (albeit with a few advisories) and I drove it back 300 miles very relaxed, there is a huge wave of torque and very healthy acceleration when you want it but this car is not about 0-60 - more like 30-illegal in the time it takes to grin like an idiot.

I have spent the entire weekend removing the stale smell and green algae/dust/cobweb/leaf buildup that occurs when a car is left standing for a few years. Fixed and lubricated everything that didnt work and now I only have 2 tiny jobs left + fitting the bodykit before its ready for paint and turbos.
I have discovered, cleaned up and prepped a small hole in the inner wing under the washer bottle during the cleanup which will be cured in the week when I have gas for the welder! any other signs of corrosion were simply cosmetic and have now been treated and will be painted in the week.

The shell itself is not a patch on the black car but the paint and effort required to sort the blue car is less than trying to figure the engine conversion from scratch. I will be fitting 2 new front wings and a full Zender kit with some 190E Evo1 Cosworth wheels (they just happen to be the stock SL wheels that I already have ;) ) in the next few weeks

Now I don't have to fit the engine the turbo conversion is going ahead full steam :)

Expect a full set of build pics as it happens

2469048070_7705dc8c5f_o.jpg

2469022108_fa3c6ea07f_o.jpg

The engine installation is really neat with only the air filter making it look non factory!

2468252957_19b39818ab_o.jpg

Tight fit in there :)
2468198847_1c18e95735_o.jpg

2468198553_0d11a864d4_o.jpg

Thats all folks - (for now) :bannana:

Mark

Last edited:
Now there are a few pics of the turbo bits thanks to Nav :)

Turbo kit is MASSIVE - far too big to photograph in any detail in my tiny front room...

Everything therefore took a turn on the sofa !

2 manifolds, 2 turbos , 2 heatshields and an intercooler

kit1.jpg

Airfilter housing assembly, oil feed pipe and odd boost pipes

kit2.jpeg

Cast exit elbows, cast intake and injectors, aftermarket electronics and more pipes

kit4.jpeg

Loads of bags of bolts, fittings and wiring !
kit6.jpeg

Intercooler and more odds and sods !

kit8.jpeg

Close up of extra injector plates

injectors.jpeg

There is more pipework and the exhaust frontpipes etc are still in my boot!
Now I need to figure out exatly what does and doesnt fit but the majority of the intake side will have to be made from scratch and i will use the Split Second Additional injecotr controller for fuel delivery with an MSD BTM to control ignition.

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom