My 1994 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think we all have regrets on cars we havent bought. I was offered a Bronze Lotus Esprit that was the back up Bond car from the spy who loved me film.
Here is the actual film car ..
RE: Bond's Esprit up for sale - PistonHeads
I could have bought the back up car in 1998 for £8k but had just bought a house and couldnt afford it ... It had low miles too
yes definately been there got offered a bmw e30 m3 in 2008 for 6k :wallbash: funnily enough that was just as i was buying my house. no chance now of getting one for that price.
i just went into the garage to see if i had the 200 odd page dealer service manual for an sl500 but cant find it,if it turns up ill send it to you will come in handy for you new purchase.

yes definately been there got offered a bmw e30 m3 in 2008 for 6k :wallbash: funnily enough that was just as i was buying my house. no chance now of getting one for that price.
i just went into the garage to see if i had the 200 odd page dealer service manual for an sl500 but cant find it,if it turns up ill send it to you will come in handy for you new purchase.

I so want an E30 M3 too ... Especially a convertible. I dont think it will happen now though ...
That would be amazing if you do come across it ... You might be getting another though in the future?

I so want an E30 M3 too ... Especially a convertible. I dont think it will happen now though ...
That would be amazing if you do come across it ... You might be getting another though in the future?

yeah but not a 500 just a 300 pre-facelift. my uncle had a 500 and his mate works for merc in germany so he printed him a massive manual for it, it literally has every fault fix possible. it would be no use to me as im useless at fixing things,just does nothing for me... detailing is what i like best :thumb:

This box of bits arrived today ..

Before it got dark I tackled the pollen filter. I found it hadnt been changed in a while. See below the difference between the new and old. I also scrubbed the rubber which came up like new and cleaned all the plastics up. Filter that came out was genuine part like everything taken off so far.

I'm a little curious, given that you seem to be pleased that the car has been fitted with genuine parts, as to why you are using non-genuine? Is there a huge saving?

I'm a little curious, given that you seem to be pleased that the car has been fitted with genuine parts, as to why you are using non-genuine? Is there a huge saving?

Good question ... I bought the most expensive parts I could find given I don't live too close to a Merc garage and also still waiting for the parts department to ring me back.
Also I knew the pollen filter is made by the same factory as a genuine part (its just missing the part number) indeed the mould marks were even the same on the casing as the genuine one I pulled out.
Mann make BMW filters ... Not sure if they make the Merc branded filters (not checked) but the quality is high compared to 'cheap' brands so for air filters I was happy.
Bottom line is if I could find a switched on merc garage that has online pricing and ordering available I would have bought genuine but the above is a good compramise I think.
I am in Mercedes this morning and will be ordering a pile of genuine parts depending on their inspection.

I'm lucky that the main dealer is local to me as some genuine parts are cheaper than you imagine, especially filters and brakes, but others are breath takingly dearer than you would imagine. I've just had my '96 500 serviced and a few jobs done, and co-incidentally the tickover has started to fluctuate. The potentiometer has been diagnosed as getting a bit sticky, and MB want £438+vat!! I'm just waiting for a 2nd hand £25 one to be delivered from ebay!

I'm lucky that the main dealer is local to me as some genuine parts are cheaper than you imagine, especially filters and brakes, but others are breath takingly dearer than you would imagine. I've just had my '96 500 serviced and a few jobs done, and co-incidentally the tickover has started to fluctuate. The potentiometer has been diagnosed as getting a bit sticky, and MB want £438+vat!! I'm just waiting for a 2nd hand £25 one to be delivered from ebay!

I agree totally on the parts pricing ... I will always fit genuine parts if I can, especially essential parts like oil filters and brake parts.
There is though a big difference between pattern parts and often the expesive ones are the same part in a different box.
The Mann pollen filter cost three times more than the cheapest brand on eurocarparts.
Ebay is always a friend in cases like your potentiomter ... Also for genuine parts. Sadly not for genuine R129 air filters at the moment!

Thanks John, agree ... Can't wait to get stuck in on the polishing.
I have picked up copious amounts of valet product recommended on the valet forums so looking forward to it.
I spent the morning at my local Mercedes dealer while it went a two hour long inspection.
Here she is ...

What did the MB tech have to report back?

What did the MB tech have to report back?

It was pretty good all things considered:

1) sluggish wiper motor
2) front headlight wiper arm corroded
3) slight adjustment needed on front wheel bearings (very minor)
4) slight corrosion on rear brake discs
5) advise coolant/antifreeze change as content a little low
6) wing indicator repeaters need changing or orange bulbs
7) parking brake needs adjustment
8) air con needs recharge
9) very slight weep from sump gasket (recommend leave as so slight)
10) corrosion on one part of exhaust

Star reported no issues

Pretty good result?

Great find:thumb:...can't believe the 'stealer' didn't give you a massive list...i take it you told them you do all your own work?

Getting mine out soon i think:bannana:

1) sluggish wiper motor

Star reported no issues

Pretty good result?

1) sluggish wiper motor

Star reported no issues

Pretty good result?

Excellent result! I love the workshop pic - a worried glance over to the "patient"!

I've just had a headlamp wiper arm freed up, and the potentiometer arrived today, but they sent the wrong one!

Sounds as if you've landed a good one. Well done. One thing I always do when buying a car is to have all fluids changed regardless of what I've been told about servicing, costs a bit I suppose, but that way you know things are as they should be.

Looks like a nice car, wish you all the best with it.

Sounds as if you've landed a good one. Well done. One thing I always do when buying a car is to have all fluids changed regardless of what I've been told about servicing, costs a bit I suppose, but that way you know things are as they should be.

Totally agree with you on that one. I know the brake fluid and oil have just been changed but the coolant not and with it being highlighted today I will get it done.
Just trying to decide to do myself or take it back to Mercedes to get done.
I would definitely use merc approved coolant if I did it.
Tech was saying it contains oil that keeps the water pump in good order which is interesting.

Excellent result! I love the workshop pic - a worried glance over to the "patient"!

I've just had a headlamp wiper arm freed up, and the potentiometer arrived today, but they sent the wrong one!
Mare on the potentiometer ... Hope they look after you on that.
I haven't looked at the headlamp washer yet ... Mine may not work or they might just have found it corroded I suppose.
A new arm is £75!

Great find:thumb:...can't believe the 'stealer' didn't give you a massive list...i take it you told them you do all your own work?

Getting mine out soon i think:bannana:

I did actually say I would book it in for some things and this was all they came up with. They spent two hours on it inspecting and another hour putting estimates together so they gave it a proper look over.
They were very fair though ... Some things they said were so slight as not warrant being done (like the rear corrosion on the discs)
Others they said needed quick attention like the parking brake. There is a possibility the liner may have become detached, but hopefully is adjust only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom