My 1994 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the contact that I gave you via PM can repair these Paul

These are the guys that quoted me £425 and I then found them offering the same service for £295 (or offer!) on ebay which is a bit off?

Having said that I may use them as they offer the guarantee and so potentially a less risky option.

Keep the suggestions going though please everyone ... I had missed the other one Ian found.

Wasn't aware of that, has to be cheaper that your friendly stealership if nothing else.

I think the contact that I gave you via PM can repair these Paul

Good news, thanks Ray. Definitely sounds like the man for the job!

Will update Monday when I get back from Mercedes.

Wasn't aware of that, has to be cheaper that your friendly stealership if nothing else.

Totally agree ... I have a few options now. Let's hope it's not the module. Bet it is though!

The glass is half full! :thumb:

It is ... I really like this car so happy to spend what is needed.
Will be happier though if it is something cheaper.

The rear passanger side lock was really tough to close manually - it might be related?

Had great service today from Mercedes in Bath ... They adjusted the parking brake and did the coolant change. Also gave the air con a look over and gave it thumbs up from its physical appearance at least (so will get a test and refill sorted now)

The roof however was less successful. They dug their diagnostic tool out of storage and it wouldn't communicate with my car at all so blown out there sadly.

They were really good though and looked after me. Would recommend Mercedes Bath all day long. Not at all up themselves like some Merc dealers. (Hughes of Beaconsfield for example)

Off subject they found a snapped spring, so good excuse to replace all the suspension I think! :)

Here she is getting some main dealer love again ..

5f014b1de25374dfa38e4a469003d266.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't know you were in that area. I lived in Bear Flat for a while. The Main Dealer was then called John Tallis and were very good. After "the great reorganisation" they were forced out so they moved on with most of the staff and set up as an independent. See About Tallis of Bath

If you get fed up with the main dealer you could give them a whirl.

I'm watching your thread with interest, Paul, and I fear I may have a bit of this to come, having bought another one two weeks ago! At the moment, all seems good, but I need to replace the front brakes and check out some suspension knocks, and I'm not hands on like you!

Didn't know you were in that area. I lived in Bear Flat for a while. The Main Dealer was then called John Tallis and were very good. After "the great reorganisation" they were forced out so they moved on with most of the staff and set up as an independent. See About Tallis of Bath

If you get fed up with the main dealer you could give them a whirl.

Thanks ... Good tip. They are only 9 miles away so much more convenient.
Bath Mercedes have been good to me though ... Have been very reasonable in what thry have charged plus done quite a few minorish things for free.
Having said that a good indie is much more likely to have a wider knowledge on older cars and 9 miles is pretty local!

I'm watching your thread with interest, Paul, and I fear I may have a bit of this to come, having bought another one two weeks ago! At the moment, all seems good, but I need to replace the front brakes and check out some suspension knocks, and I'm not hands on like you!

Do tell us more ... What year, colour etc? Sounds interesting.

I try to do everything myself but I am far from a trained mechanic. I do find it very theraputic though to work on, if not frustrating sometimes when things are not logical. Also really enjoy hunting down the parts.

Currently cleaning every millimeter of the interior with a toothbrush and its coming out well!

Also gathering lots of parts for the coming long weekend ..I just hope the weather is nice.

I don't have the temperament to mess with cars! I remember as a teenager replacing the wishbone of a Vauxhall Cresta without a spring compressor or warm clothing, and the puddle I kept rolling into had frozen to ice by the time I'd got the job done. Ever since then, I've found if things can go wrong that wouldn't normally go wrong, it would happen to me. Enjoy your weekend!

Don't want to hijack, but since you ask! It's a 98 Special Edition 500, one of 75 in Designo Vario blue/green (code 017). Not one of the best ones, to be honest, but I've been having a few niggles with my 96 150k 500, and I'd rather spend money on a more interesting car than my green/black standard model which I've had for ten years. It's still in a workshop with a difficult to trace electrical fault (see first paragraph!), and I'll decide what to do with in when it gets a clean bill of health.

Meanwhile, the new addition has been the plaything of several (7, to be precise) previous owners, and here it is with the pano roof off!

Last edited:
Hijack away, never a problem!

Now that is very nice ... My type of car and makes perfect sense to spend on that. Very envious indeed.

By coincidence when I worked at Autotrader I knew a lottery winner who bought one of those new at the time from one of the dealers I looked after. The colour is unusual for sure and can see why you went for it. Let us know how you get on with it.

Slightly off subject I had already been thinking about finding another rarer / unusual / high spec car than this one as I am so impressed with it. Having said that I like it so much I probably can't move on too easily. I might get it finished, enjoy it and then have a think though. I really fancy a SL600 in a nice colour. Or a Silver Arrow or Mille Miglia ... There is also amazing designo wood (might be stone?) colour out there that is pretty rare ... It is amazing ... Sort of looking at a fire opal. That would press my buttons if I can find one.

I don't have the temperament to mess with cars! I remember as a teenager replacing the wishbone of a Vauxhall Cresta without a spring compressor or warm clothing, and the puddle I kept rolling into had frozen to ice by the time I'd got the job done. Ever since then, I've found if things can go wrong that wouldn't normally go wrong, it would happen to me. Enjoy your weekend!

Don't want to hijack, but since you ask! It's a 98 Special Edition 500, one of 75 in Designo Vario blue/green (code 017). Not one of the best ones, to be honest, but I've been having a few niggles with my 96 150k 500, and I'd rather spend money on a more interesting car than my green/black standard model which I've had for ten years. It's still in a workshop with a difficult to trace electrical fault (see first paragraph!), and I'll decide what to do with in when it gets a clean bill of health.

Meanwhile, the new addition has been the plaything of several (7, to be precise) previous owners, and here it is with the pano roof off!

Congrats on your purchase! Looks great!

Hijack away, never a problem!

Now that is very nice ... My type of car and makes perfect sense to spend on that. Very envious indeed.

By coincidence when I worked at Autotrader I knew a lottery winner who bought one of those new at the time from one of the dealers I looked after. The colour is unusual for sure and can see why you went for it. Let us know how you get on with it.

Slightly off subject I had already been thinking about finding another rarer / unusual / high spec car than this one as I am so impressed with it. Having said that I like it so much I probably can't move on too easily. I might get it finished, enjoy it and then have a think though. I really fancy a SL600 in a nice colour. Or a Silver Arrow or Mille Miglia ... There is also amazing designo wood (might be stone?) colour out there that is pretty rare ... It is amazing ... Sort of looking at a fire opal. That would press my buttons if I can find one.

Everything I read said to run away from the 600 as it's a money pit. If you do get one, would be interesting to know if it's true :)

Thanks guys. It was one of five cars in the household, and it shared a lovely garage with three of them. A brand new (14 plate) M5, an 03 Porsche 911 (stripped for racing) and a Lancia Integrale! Out of 75 cars, what are the odds of me having a lottery winner's car?! Don't tell me - 75-1?

Years ago, I did a bit of work as an agent for Autotrader, and remember speeding up to the office in Southampton with all the ads and polaroid pics in time for the deadline.

Thanks guys. It was one of five cars in the household, and it shared a lovely garage with three of them. A brand new (14 plate) M5, an 03 Porsche 911 (stripped for racing) and a Lancia Integrale! Out of 75 cars, what are the odds of me having a lottery winner's car?! Don't tell me - 75-1?

Years ago, I did a bit of work as an agent for Autotrader, and remember speeding up to the office in Southampton with all the ads and polaroid pics in time for the deadline.

I worked for Thames Valley autotrader in Reading ... They made the switch to digital around 98 i think from memory so do remember polaroids and copious 35mm film! Late Monday night deadlines were not pleasant but it was nice to work around cars a lot.
The lottery winner also bought a vary late new old shape S500 which he chopped in against a new shape in 99/2000 (a year or so later) and an ML for a family member that had an unusual factory order (cloth seats!)

I'm going back to the early 80s. :eek:

Just looking at the service history, and the first three stamps are Jim Russell, dealer 098, followed by Rivervale in Reading.

I'm going back to the early 80s. :eek:

Just looking at the service history, and the first three stamps are Jim Russell, dealer 098, followed by Rivervale in Reading.

Hmm ... Will pm you

Congrats on your purchase! Looks great!

Again very sorry to hi-jack your thread.

I have a friend who has the exact same car and he wants to sell it.

If any one is interested I will put you in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom