My 2 year cost of owning my A180

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tezz

Car
A180 w169 2006 2.0 cdi
So, had car now for about 2 years, had full service history when i got car, but did not trust it so fully serviced it then, just completed another full service and thought I would see what this car has cost me to own for 2 years. I had a few niggles to sort out on car, that if taken to a garage could have gotten very expensive. Luckily I managed to eventually sort them all.

Some of the most expensive items were

Icarsoft 2 £ 134.00

New Erisin radio as command broke £ 180.00

4 New tyres 2 good year, 2 contis £ 320.00

All fluids to MB specs, all other parts were Bosch or Gates

Oil x 15Lts changed twice now £ 33.00

Washer fluid (BP) had deionised water already £ 12.00

Antifreeze 15Lts changed twice now £ 21.00

Brake fluid 2Lts £ 6.72

Oil filter x 2 £ 12.42

Air filter x 2 £22.00

Pollen x 2 £ 22.00

Fuel filter x 2 £ 22.00

Wipers aero front and rear £ 31.00

Rear Gen MB pads £ 36.00

Bosch S5008 battery £ 84.00

2 new front springs (German Patten part) £ 24.99

Heater resistor £ 14.99

CV boot £ 10.74

Glow plugs x 4 £ 24.01

Thermostat £ 52.00

Alternator overrun pulley £ 25.69

Idler pulley x 3 £ 44.00

Aux belt £ 12.91

BG 245 fuel cleaner £ 23.89

Various other lubes small tools and stuff aprrox £ 100.00

Some of the niggles, like battery drain , consumed so much time to find, but in end were simple fixes, by pass rear tailgate handle switch cost £3 and fit new command replacement. Blocked front wiper jet could have been expensive, but I just pulled of the adjustable part of nozzle on bonnet as the micro hole was causing issues, they work fine now and cost was zero. Rear wiper jet £ 1.99 from china. water getting into car was all fixed with RTV sealer.

Still got to fit thermostat and glow plugs, been putting it off as pain to do, but hope to get to in a few weeks. Thermostat sits just under 70 and I’m showing 1 glow plug as open circuit.

Still not got around to the 2nd gearbox oil and filter change car needs, still undecided if I want to do myself or not.

If you add MOTs total about £1300. for 2 years, plus tax and insurance

Tezz

Interesting that Tezz. It's a good job you're able to do the work yourself though. Dread to think what that work would have cost, even at an indie. At the very least double I would have thought. Shows how you can run an older Merc at realistic costs if owner maintained.

How many miles have you done in the 2 years ?
2nd gearbox oil change ?
2x air filters ?
2x pollen filters ?
2x fuel filters ?
And Dionised water in your washer bottle ?
You must have covered lots of miles.

How many miles have you done in the 2 years ?
2nd gearbox oil change ?
2x air filters ?
2x pollen filters ?
2x fuel filters ?
And Dionised water in your washer bottle ?
You must have covered lots of miles.
I agree, this cost is excessive unless you live in a dusty envrionment or a place where fuel quality is really bad which happens to be the case where I live! I haven't changed air filters and fuel filters in 2 years. 15 litres of coolant, did you do the radiator flush twice?

Very low miles due to covid, about 6000 total, yes agreed cost is a bit excessive as iv always serviced my cars every 12 months regardless of miles, but on my car parts are so cheap did not find it an issue to change filters, why it says 2x its 2 full services. 2nd gear box change was due at 80,000 last one done at 40,000

if you want to work out cost of each full service parts list is above probably about £70

Tezz

Very low miles due to covid, about 6000 total, yes agreed cost is a bit excessive as iv always serviced my cars every 12 months regardless of miles
I have taken the alternative approach and service my cars every 10K miles regardless of time intervals. My thinking is that, provided there is a reasonable level of use (5K - 10K miles per annum), modern lubricants will not deteriorate with age and filtration systems will not be impaired to any great extent by the flow through them. Either way, doing it yourself is the way to go if you are competent and able. I never cease to be amazed by the level of expenditure on servicing and repairs often discussed in this forum. I tend buy cars at three years old and keep them until ten years and have never found the lack of dealer or independent service history to be an issue; I keep the receipts for materials as proof of service. Only exception is to use an independent for the transmission service.

Allow £30, not £134, for the Icarsoft because it has a resale value of £100 for sure

£1200 for 6000 miles / two year's use of a 2006 car, worth maybe £1500, which "probably" hasn't depreciated at all.

That's £600 pa. for maintenance and depreciation. Correct me as necessary.

Sounds like you've done well, Sir.

An absolute bargain compared to running the typical five year old Mercedes.

Allow £30, not £134, for the Icarsoft because it has a resale value of £100 for sure

£1200 for 6000 miles / two year's use of a 2006 car, worth maybe £1500, which "probably" hasn't depreciated at all.

That's £600 pa. for maintenance and depreciation. Correct me as necessary.

Sounds like you've done well, Sir.

An absolute bargain compared to running the typical five year old Mercedes.

I think I was lucky so far, the inside is like new, outside and doors no rust and fairly good nick, I caught the water leaks soon enough not to do any damage, is euro 4, no DPF and parts cost compaired to other MBs are very cheap

If all goes well, my only cost should be £150 for gearbox oil,filter till June 2022, but anything can happen

But if ever I bought another MB the cost of parts for that model would be a big factor, that and I learned my lesson make sure everything electrical works 100% and no water on inside lol

Tezz

I think I was lucky so far, the inside is like new, outside and doors no rust and fairly good nick,

We'll just have to disagree on that.

I think you've diligently sorted out some issues on a 15 year old car, which will now put you in good stead for another year or two.

Some would argue that it's safer to just cough up £250 a month on a new lease deal. You've demonstrated how someone who is fussy about things being "just right" can run a 15 year old car at a sixth of the cost. Greta is proud of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom