My 3 year old Crashed my Vito!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt Vito

Car
Mercedes Vito Compact Dualiner 111
my 3 year old released the handle for my Vito and it rolled off our drive and hit a wall!

Can i do anything to make it harder to release?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Matt

Last edited:
I was with him! was putting his booster seat back in!

I did that once, with my dads 170S, he still won't let it go 50 years on! :doh:

Reminds me of an old friend of mine who had a lovely series 3 4.2 XJ6 back in the '90s.

He was at some event, parked on a grass slope which was being used as a car park. His son, sat in the car, wanted to change the tape in the cassette player, but couldn't because the gear selector was in 'Park'.

So he carefully moved it out of Park to gain access. You can picture what happened. Car rolls off down slope with one frantic (early teen) son aboard in the front passenger seat. IIRC he shoved it back into Park in a panic. Fortunately there was no damage because the car was on grass, so the wheels just locked up and he slowly skidded to a halt before hitting anything.

I'm not so sure his dad didn't hit anything though. Starting with the roof, and then probably moving on to his son. :p

Someone I knew had his two young kids start his Jag on the drive and put it into D. It went into the boundary wall, knocking it over onto the neighbours' car ... causing serious damage to both.

My 2 year old always pulls the handbrake off my 300TD, but I leave it in P and it wont go anywhere.

I drove my dads old rover 416 through our garage door once when I was a kid :rolleyes:

I used to start the car before my mum took me to school, one day I put it the clutch down, into 1st and not knowing the clutch had to be lifted slowly it ran into the door. :eek:

Oops.

My father-in-law had a similar accident with his Rover 800 hatchback. For some unfathomable reason that he was never able to explain he'd had the car idling on the drive with no-one in it, and he got in to the passenger seat to do something or other, then leaned over to the driver's door pocket and accidentally nudged the car (auto) into reverse. It gently cruised backwards off his drive, straight over the road and demolished a neighbour's wall. Much embarrassment!!

I nearly ran myself over with my last car. Park up and realise its not parked too well. Sod it I'll give it a wee push to manovour it in. Wee push corresponded into movement. Crappy it was on a slight hill so being stupid I run to the back to try and stop it rolling away.2.2 ton of car won't ****ing stop nearly knocking me over. Luckily I left the door open so I dived in and put hand on footbrake to stop the car as there was a fair drop behind it...brown trouser moment

Guy sitting next to me on the train a couple of years ago was telling his colleague how he had been run over by his own car. While trying to get the spare wheel out he accidentally operated the release for the electric handbrake which was somewhere in the boot (IIRC it was a Renault Scenic). He was standing behind the car (obviously) on a sloping drive ...

It rolled back over him, dragging him underneath it out into the road until hit hit the kerb on the other side. He got away with 'minor crush injuries' and some cuts and bruises.

ok off track a bit, but here it is........ confession

yonks ago when I were nowt but a teenager (ok half a century at least) my friend in norfolk had a miserable old woman (at least 40) next door.
She had a tennis ball on a pice of string hanging in the garage, she drove forwards until it touched the screen and stopped a couple of inches from the back wall.

You guessed it......... we moved it back over a yard!

Next time she drove slowly into the garage (being overtaken by the occassional snail) the car met the back wall, she revved and kept going until the ball touched the screen, then stopped........ a full yard through the wall with broken timber all over the car.

It isn't believeable.. but I DID WATCH it happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom