My 300TE Battle Bus!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stempies

Car
1989 W124 300TE 4Matic
Well finally got around to giving it a quick polish, so thought i'd post some piccys at last!! :)
It's a 1989 W124 300TE 4Matic with 225,000 miles on it, not perfect by any means but goes like the clappers & has an unnerving appetite for fuel!! :D
4Matic system wants to work after topping up fluid so it may be air in it?!:dk:
Has an annoying knock at the back, which is worse on uneven roads, and likes to leave it's mark with a very minor oil leak!!!:eek:
Not had the courage to remove the Gaffer tape on the N/S front wing yet but feels solid underneath!

As bought in November 2010 for just £350 with very long MOT!
Copyofwedding003.jpg

After a quick spruce up!!
300TE002.jpg

300TE001.jpg

300TE.jpg

300TE004.jpg

300TE003.jpg

Only trouble so far was a leak in the fuel filler pipe which has now been sealed with Leak-Fix! :)
I have yet to clean the inside (although it's not too bad, just a grubby drivers seat) & door shuts etc. but all seems solid after it's first inspection since getting it!!
It has the 7 seat option, but missing the luggage cover (anyone got a spare they don't want??)! ;)

I didn't know Mercedes did 4 Matic that early:confused:, I only heard of it in the last couple of years, it must have been quite rare when yours was made.

Should be grey, but anything will do as long as it's very cheap!!
In no hurry at the mo, as cash flow is none existent!! :(

I didn't know Mercedes did 4 Matic that early:confused:, I only heard of it in the last couple of years, it must have been quite rare when yours was made.

The first 4Matic system was introduced in 1986 on the W124 series saloons and estate cars. It was available with the 2.6 and 3.0 6 cylinder petrol and diesel engines.
Mine kind of works but think the system needs bleeding as fluid was empty when i got it!!

What colour is the car? I can't work it out

I was in a 4-Matic estate today. And the 4-Matic was working!

Nick Froome

That looks like a bit of a bargain!

What type of four wheel drive system is the 4 Matic? Is it a viscous coupling like the VW Syncro system?

The first 4Matic system was introduced in 1986 on the W124 series saloons and estate cars. It was available with the 2.6 and 3.0 6 cylinder petrol and diesel engines.
Mine kind of works but think the system needs bleeding as fluid was empty when i got it!!

Well you learn something new every day, I think if I need to get a decent run around in the future and keep miles down on the E55 it will be a W124 300d, auto,doesn't rust as badly as the newer ones and runs very well on veg oil.

Lovely:cool: Do the 4matics sit higher than the normal 124's?

The colour is 172 Anthracite Grey, and yes Stu i think they are higher!!
Still not au fait with the 4Matic system, just know it is quite complex and will be expensive to overhaul!!:(

Am sure i have a grey load cover in the yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom