my amg isnt really an amg apparently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rufman

Car
A160, zo6
Took my 1999 e55 to a merc dealer in solihull for a replacement oil cap. The guy in service said my car hadn't gone anywhere near the amg factory as all w210 e55's were just glorified E320's.

Was in too much shock to say anything but someone pls tell me that's utter rubbish...or is it??

AFAIK post-2000 W210 E55s were assembled at the MB factory - the engine arrived on a crate, whereas the earlier ones were assembled at Affalterbach.

Basically some AMG's get breathed on by AMG some get the full treatment and are built by AMG... Still an AMG though ;)

Took my 1999 e55 to a merc dealer in solihull for a replacement oil cap. The guy in service said my car hadn't gone anywhere near the amg factory as all w210 e55's were just glorified E320's.

Was in too much shock to say anything but someone pls tell me that's utter rubbish...or is it??
In one sense an AMG is just a glorified E or C or CLS etc etc. Glorified in the sense that it has an AMG engine, wheels, brakes, suspension etc etc.

What was the bloke getting at? The engine isn't even based on an E320.

In one sense an AMG is just a glorified E or C or CLS etc etc. Glorified in the sense that it has an AMG engine, wheels, brakes, suspension etc etc.

What was the bloke getting at? The engine isn't even based on an E320.

I think you will find that in the C class at least there is a significant amount of bodywork relating to the suspension and steering.

There are chassis differences which are not explained by the comments made by the technician. It is true that AMG essentially took E320 avantgarde bodies and built them into AMG E55. But you have to start with some kind of body, the car will not manifest itself from ideas alone.

It is a bit like saying that a supermodel is a glorified girl.

Unless he meant to say that you had a 320 V6 with AMG E55 badges on it ...

Is your car a genuine E55AMG, if the answer is as I suspect, YES..... Then the bloke is an idjut :p:) and please show him this link.

I have never heard of an employee dissing a customer's car to their face. was he wearing BMW overalls? To reassure you, you could always put the VIN number up on the Russian site, but why should you? The dials, the seats will all tell you the car you have, then if there is any doubt, blip the throttle :D :D

John the envious

I did tell him that I had a 5.4 V8 and the car went very well..his answer was that, 'yeah but you've got just slightly larger brakes than a standard e320 cdi'..yes, 'cdi'.

Only post 2002 amg's are 'real' amg's.

Anyway no big deal..

If anyone is interested in my fue consuption vigil.....check out the below.

387 miles of pure motorway driving to darlington and back on £51.08 fuel at £3.87 a gallon and a magical 29 mpg..thats pretty special. That also includes a very brief (about 10 minutes) stint at xx on the a1..

amazing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would complain to MB - he sounds a right numpty.

I did tell him that I had a 5.4 V8 and the car went very well..his answer was that, 'yeah but you've got just slightly larger brakes than a standard e320 cdi'..yes, 'cdi'.

Only post 2002 amg's are 'real' amg's.
Firstly diesels often have bigger brakes because they allegedly produce less brake pressure due to the engines running at lower RPMs and are sometimes heavier than the their petrol counterparts.

Secondly "real" AMGs became a thing of the past in 1995 when the C36 AMG went into production. From the C36 onwards AMG ceased to be an independent tuning house and became a sticker that MB applied to certain production-line cars.

That also includes a very brief (about 10 minutes) stint at xx on the a1..

I saw what you originally posted there ... assumed you really meant the A1 in Germany (autobahn) ;) :D

If anyone is interested in my fue consuption vigil.....check out the below.

387 miles of pure motorway driving to darlington and back on £51.08 fuel at £3.87 a gallon and a magical 29 mpg..thats pretty special. That also includes a very brief (about 10 minutes) stint at xx on the a1..

amazing..

That's impressive mpg, my 320 only does 30mpg on the motorway at 80mph, which in itself isn't bad for a 3.2. Mind you, your engine's hardly trying at that speed, is it!

Did you ask the ignorant spanner monkey what he drove? (No offence to any mechanics btw... ;) )

Jeez ... that is good ... :eek:

I have never managed more than 27 mpg in the 430 when on a Cornwall run ....

Firstly diesels often have bigger brakes because they allegedly produce less brake pressure due to the engines running at lower RPMs and are sometimes heavier than the their petrol counterparts.

Not quite right. They have bigger brakes due in part to the additional weight but mainly to overcome the additional torque the engine can produce.

The amount of brake vacuum is no different as diesels use a vacuum pump as opposed to the inlet manifold vacuum, both systems supply more than enough vaccum depression to the servo.

Not quite right. They have bigger brakes due in part to the additional weight but mainly to overcome the additional torque the engine can produce.

You're going to have to explain this - the torque an engine can produce is irrelevant unless you're referring to being able to attain higher speeds in a shorter distance. Brake torque has to overcome the combined inertias of the wheel and vehicle.

As others have said, 29mpg is excellent.

Today I travelled 266 miles, all but about 10 being on roads with a 70mph limit, and I managed 27.5mpg in the C32 which is the best I've managed on that run. To be fair though the stretch between Derby and Leeds on the M1 is stop/start in both directions.

So the car really has a 3.2 V6? What nonsense.

I suppose it is just a glorified E320 if you ignore the engine tuning/modifications, suspension, body kit, brakes, gearbox, etc., . After all, it still has the same seats and stereo.

"What have AMG ever done for us?!"

"Well, there's the engine .."

"Obviously yes there's the engine. But apart from that, what have AMG ever done for us?!"

"The tuned suspension?"

"OK, granted, the engine and the tuned suspension."

"And the brakes."

"Well yes obviously the brakes."

etc. etc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom