My bikes gone to Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shorty

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 , Ducati 999 , mr2
Ive sold my Hayabusa :bannana:

Its been bought by a lad from Helensbrough in Scotland . The bike came from the Uk in 2006 and now has gone back .
Its amazing how a few years ago it was cheaper to go to the UK and buy a car or bike , pay the VRT ( this is a horrible import type tax we have to pay to register a car or bike over here ) than to buy the same car or bike here . Now though its cheaper to buy a car or bike in Ireland where the car or bike cost more than the UK .
Im looking at a 999 ducati . The bike has 17000 miles , and full duc history including new belts . can any one here offer me any advice on this bike , are they really more trouble than there worth ?

Chap from Helensburgh didn't have bits of porkpie stuck to his beard by any chance?

No there wasnt any sign of a beard , porkpies or even a shed

Im looking at a 999 ducati . The bike has 17000 miles , and full duc history including new belts . can any one here offer me any advice on this bike , are they really more trouble than there worth ?

A cracking bike, but it was unpopular and viewed as the ugly sister after the 916. This means it's good value for money, but because it's pre-2007 it's on the more expensive side to keep running (after 07 they extended the intervals and generally made them a bit cheaper to service)

You may also have a period of adjustment if you've not ridden an Italian twin before - it might feel a bit alien and awkward until you gel with it. Not to mention adjusting to the idiosyncrasies, and moments of abject petulance.

But if you can afford it, and get on with, you'll be grinning like a loon every time you thumb the starter.

Yep the 999 was the 916's ugly sister when it came out, very unloved by almost everyone. Now they are starting to attract a bit of a cult status......still ugly but a sound bike.

As per my 916 the belts have to be changed regardless of the mileage every 2 years so if you do a very low mileage on your bikes it makes servicing a bit expensive. Belt change costs around £200 or so.
After a Busa it will feel light and nimble.....but oh so uncomfortable...

Thanks for the info lads . The bikes has 17000 kms not miles and only cover 140 kms since its last service . Im thinking im gonna buy it if the RSV im watching falls through . Ill keep you posted

Hey lads bit of an update

I bought the Ducati , im gonna pick her up tomorrow or on Monday . Il post pics when I get her home and polished

It was bought by a lad called Colin , its a white Hayabusa . If yea see it ive him a wave from me , he seamed a civil chap

new bike

Heres some pics of the ducati , its a great bike , im very impressed with the handling thought it feels a bit slow after the busa

Attachments

• duk.jpg
    duk.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 53
  • duk1.jpg
    duk1.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 55
  • duk2.jpg
    duk2.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 55
Ive had the bike out for a few spins so far , and I like it . The handling is very light with only slight movements needed to point the bike where it needs to go . The brakes are awsome ! after the poor porformance of the Busas brakes . Im still getting used to the V twin engine and its characteristics , I keep hitting the rev limiter and its not as fast as the busa . The single seat has also been swaped of a twin seat set-up and this I think looks much better ,plus the wife can now come with me for a spin

A friend has an Aprillia RSV4 and likes that for similar reasons.

His Mum thinks it's a just a commuter bike for him... Yes, Mum...

It will be an expensive commuter bike . The RSV was my other choice when changinng this time , there class loking bikes , and more powerful than the Ducati

Ive had the bike out for a few spins so far , and I like it . The handling is very light with only slight movements needed to point the bike where it needs to go . The brakes are awsome ! after the poor porformance of the Busas brakes . Im still getting used to the V twin engine and its characteristics , I keep hitting the rev limiter and its not as fast as the busa . The single seat has also been swaped of a twin seat set-up and this I think looks much better ,plus the wife can now come with me for a spin

Yeah, you'll probably notice a big difference in instant performance between the twin and your Busa shorty - my SP1 totally suits my riding style and love it, however, my brother in law went from ZX6, to an RSV and then straight back to a 4 (R1) as he couldn't get on with it.

Glad your liking it though, a Ducati is deffo one of those bikes i'd like to own in the future!

It will be an expensive commuter bike . The RSV was my other choice when changinng this time , there class loking bikes , and more powerful than the Ducati

70 miles a day on mine. I suspect the next service is going to hurt :doh:

I like the twins style and the noise , its got a race can and sounds brill !

70 miles a day on a sports bike , thats gonna cost . I did use Fireblade as daily transport , it was a 25 mile commute and had to change the rear tyre every 8 weeks and the front eery 10 weeks . cost me a fourtune

Yeah, i've got a set of MHP hand made cans on mine - sounds absolutely awesome!

I commute 50 miles a day on an XMAX 250 - approx 70-80 mpg and £20.00 petrol will last 6 days. Has 6000 mile service intervals too, although i drop the oil and transmission fluid out every 3k as a matter of course. Tax is only £35.00 a year and insurance on a multibike policy with the SP works out about £100.00!! Tyres last about 12 months too.

Thing is it'll keep up with bigger bikes on the B road as it's pretty nimble in and out of the traffic (plus i have a loud GPR exhaust on it and as it's a single, sounds a bit like a supermoto) :D

I use the SP every now and again, however, i feel like i've done a work-out when i get in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom