My C-Coupe never ceases to amaze me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
At just how crap it is in wet conditions, the old W210 had loads more grip.

Tonight there was a bit of standing water on what is admittedly a concrete dual carriageway, but I got full lift off and a rear end moment at a roundabout.

Even Mrs Dm managed a four wheel slide on a wet patch when taking it into the dealer for a service. I had only had it a few days then.

It strikes me that the suspension and anti-roll bars are just too stiff and the wheels too wide for anything but dry roads.

Snow should be fun...

It surprises me how a modern car can be so poor in such conditions. Hundreds if not thousands of hours of testing would have shown them how the car performs. Maybe despite all the data the judgement fell on the side of style and sport pretensions. Pity. So when's the car being swapped and for what?

I bet it's quick round "The Ring" in the dry. ;)

I still fancy a CLS so might give this to Mrs Dm, but She's not ready to change hers yet.

I certainly found my previous CLC interesting in the snow.
I found all seasons tyres made a big difference.

Winter wheels/tyres would be even better.

I agree. Its pretty bad and even on winter tyres its not great in snow. My old BMW 120d was so much better in wet and snow. I blame the huge amount of this torque it produces compared with other similarly powered cars.

Simple, slow down a bit.

It's easy to get a car to handle and grip well in the wet but then you'd be complaining how rubbish it was in the dry and if only they put slightly wider wheels/tyres on etc.

I found that my 190E was much more fun in summer with skinny winter wheels and tyres than it was with summer tyres on.

Wondering if this car might change your stance on winter tyres DM. :D

Could be down to tyre choice.

My e39 540i is very twitchy on the wrong tyres, completely planted on Bridgestones.

Never had any issues with the CLS (or the 203 for that matter) in the wet. Apart from acceleration induced of course! ;)

The 203 with it's lowered suspension was rock hard compared with the CLS on AIRmatic but it cornered on rails even in the wet. The steering wheel did tend to 'snatch' if one wheel hit standing water but it didn't deviate and I don't ever recall aquaplaning. The CLS is totally planted whatever the weather, no 'snatch', no moments entering roundabouts/junctions, just goes where it's pointed.

If you're experiencing a "rear end moment", I'd suggest slowing down earlier. Perhaps the more modern car refinement is deceiving you into thinking you are travelling slower than you really are?

What tyres are they?

Almost sounds like they are different front to rear?

Tyre brand
Tyre pressures
Tyre condition
Road condition
Road surface
Speed for conditions
Driver error

Car? nah.

I found that my 190E was much more fun in summer with skinny winter wheels and tyres than it was with summer tyres on.

Wondering if this car might change your stance on winter tyres DM. :D

Not at all. The car is crap, not the tyres. It even manages to slip around in the dry on anything but smooth surfaces because the suspension is too stiff.

I never had a problem in the old sludge burner.

What tyres are they?

Almost sounds like they are different front to rear?

Yes they are...they are wider on the rear... ;)

They are Pirelli P-Zero all round.

But if DM slowed down, we'd never get threads like this one…..

:D:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Well, on the same dual carriageway I drove down with standing water last night, someone went clean off the road in the dry this morning, closing the road for some while.

Me, wet, I stay on the road, them, dry, they go off mowing the foliage and ripping the bark off trees.

There have been a number of death smashes up there, which is why there are speed cameras in both directions.

I know exactly where you are coming from here, I find the c63 coupe such an unbalanced car, you can get complete rear lift off in what would normally be considered well within the limits of a performance car. It has no where near the poise and agility of the M3 that just stays stuck like glue and goes everywhere you point it. Strangely enough the 4 door c63 miles better not in the M3 league but better

….. they go off mowing the foliage and ripping the bark off trees.

There have been a number of death smashes up there, which is why there are speed cameras in both directions.

Maybe putting in crash barriers would be a good move - trees can be very unforgiving things to drive into. Maybe they won't reduce the frequency of accidents - but they should certainly reduce the severity of the impact.

Of course, barriers cost money, while cameras make money …..

Deaths and injuries also cost money. I'm sure a civil servant somewhere has a spreadsheet to show the cost/benefit of any potential road improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom