My C204 doesn't have an VIN Plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
Hi,

Long story short. I moved to Spain a few months ago (permanently) and I am in the process to register my C class coupe in Spain.

First thing is to get to pass an MOT in Spain.
Issue 1. I don't have the Certificate of Conformity which should have been with the paperwork when I bought it from MB.
To get around that, I can either buy an new one from MB £180 approx or get an engineer in Spain to produce a similar document for around 100 euro. They just need a few pictures, specially the one from the VIN plate.
Issue 2. I can't find it. Its unbelievable. It should be on the drivers on the pillar according to the manual. Its not there. It has never been there. How is this possible. The car has been to MB so many timer for servicing, warranty, MOTs. Nobody has ever check it? Is it somewhere else in the car I cannot find. I have looked everywhere.

Any ideas on what to do? I cannot pop into my local dealer in the UK and ask. I will call them tomorrow but no doubt, they will ask me to take it to them.

Miguel

Last edited:
Must it be the 'VIN plate'?

The VIN is also showing on a sticker on the door sill.

And also etched into the chassis under the carpet.

It hasn't got the sticker on the door sill. I has never had one there. I need the one where it says the axis weight together with the vin number.

It hasn't got the sticker on the door sill. I has never had one there. I need the one where it says the axis weight together with the vin number.

I suppose you had a look around the engine bay...?

It's no displayed in the front window?

That's the one I need. It is not anywhere on my car. I just lifted both driver and passenger carpets and I found nothing. Nothing on the engine bay or boot either. How weird.

I think you may be referring to the EUROPEAN WHOLE TYPE APPROVAL PLATE
seen here on this BMW- I believe this is to make sure the vehicle in question meets current EU construction and use regualations rather than identify the vehicle per se despite having the Vin number on it. This would prevent a Mercedes manufactured for other world markets being imported to the EU

QNmyMZYM.jpg

mercedes.jpg

Last edited:
220px-Three_body_styles_with_pillars_and_boxes.png
Having checked on my own car [ RHD] that plate is on the drivers side door B pillar one third of the way up . May be the other side for a LHD car? If you can't see it on either pillar its been removed/lost

The car may have had a repair in the past that saw the sticker removed and the door sills repainted?

Thanks for your help. I will ring MB tomorrow and ask. Yes, the car had a full respray done by MB but I am sure it wasn't there before so maybe it was missing from the start.

Example from a W164 forum
p011_0_00_02.jpg

• 1. Vehicle identification plate
  • 2. Vehicle manufacturer
  • 3. EU type approval number
  • 4. Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • 5. Maximum permissible gross vehicle weight
  • 6. Permissible towing weight
  • 7. Maximum permissible front axle load
  • 8. Maximum permissible rear axle load
  • 9. Paint code

Yep. That is what I was looking for. :(

I wonder how a car can leave the factory without it and nobody ever realises. I had the car since 2011. It has 7 services, 4 MOTs and many recalls from MB.

I suspect it is (or was) there; that's an easy tick box for PDI. - Possibly it came off for a spray and never got put back; once the shell has licence plates, I suppose it's not required again.

Where else might the put it? Inside any door arch (probably not including the boot).
As already suggested, within the engine bay (possibly on the firewall).
I think it's unlikely to be under a carpet of sill plate.
Inside the fuel filler flap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom