My C250 DT 1999 won’t start. EIS problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HenkvanD

Car
C250
Hello everyone,

Problem: when I put my electronic key into the ignition the steering wheel unlocks (I can hear the click). I can turn the key towards the position were the car is preheating the glow plugs (second position). I can hear the valve on the fuel pump unlocking. When the glow plugs are heated I can turn towards the third position to start the car. But…the car won’t start. No crank, no fuel reaches the injectors.
When I put the key into the second position and wait till the checklight for the airbags go out and I turn the key to the start position, the car starts but won't run. I have a youtube video about my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtZGA2zEji0

EIS - Electronic Ignition System. ESL - Electronic Steering Lock

What has been done: just about anything I find on this and other fora. The remote on my both keys are working fine. The cars locks and unlocks. Just out of precaution I changed the batteries. I checked all fuses, all of them are good. All electric works when the key is in the second position. Windows, lights, blower, radio… everything. There is no problem with the ESL, it locks and unlocks when taking out the key and put it back in. The battery is brand new and fully loaded.
When I put the key into the second position I can start the car if I put a 12Volt signal onto the starter. But as there is no fuel reaching the injectors the car won’t start.
I have checked for stored fault codes with a OBD reader: no faults are stored.
Before I decide what to do with the car, I simply don’t have the money to take it to a dealer, I want to make sure it is a problem with the EIS. If so I need to sell the car in parts. Which is a waste because the car is in excellent condition. But maybe there is a cheap solution to fix it. I do hope so.

I think it is a problem with the EIS not unlocking the immobilizer. Therefore the starter and fuel pomp don’t work and the car won’t start. I have read that even if the ESL unlocks it can be a problem. I find it difficult to believe but ok, who knows. I also have read that it could be a problem with the ECU (Engine Control Unit) but I don't think so.
In the video you can see that from the second position the car can start but I think that is because the immoblizer is not active in the second positon. Correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone can confirm by suspicions or has a different diagnose or troubleshooting method, I will be very pleased to hear it. I live in the Netherlands, we don’t have a EIS repair service. The only way to repair it is by letting a dealer do it. I checked, it will cost me 970 GB. Not worth spending on a car with a market value of 1500 Euro.
Kind regards HenkvanD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom